VR (Virtual Reality) Any fans?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scotian, Apr 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed Thread Starter

I've gotten bored enough that I ordered the Oculus Quest from Best Buy. Hopefully be here next week. Any fans of VR here? I've been wanting one of the headsets for awhile now. I was really excited about it when I saw the promo trailer about Half Life: Alyx. The problem is, to run it decently I'd have to buy the headset & a new gaming computer to tether it to. My wife suggested getting the Quest & though I'd rather have the full setup, I tend to pick my battles plus I don't want to spend that much money right now. I was browsing the titles for he Quest & it looks like some pretty fun stuff available.

jamesc likes this.
  2. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I've tried it and the effect is very good, but I wear glasses and they felt like they were going to be crushed. Someone has to produce a VR device that is nearly as thin as sunglasses and which wraps around glasses.

3. Scotian

The Quest has an insert spacer that goes between the headset & the foam face part that can be put in if someone that wears glasses wants to use it.

Joel1963 likes this.
  4. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

I use my VR headset (Oculus Rift S) exclusively for racing games. I thought it would be a fun diversion, but it was literally eye-opening and not little vomit-inducing the very first time I put the headset on. I got used to the adverse aspects of it soon enough, though. I was worried it would feel cumbersome to wear, but given that there's only limited movement required in the "cockpit," it's never been an issue. I find it just a lot of fun, and I don't feel like going back to flat screen racing at all. Another important thing is that I get a better sense of speed, space, and elevation in VR.

I haven't explored other kinds of virtual realities, really.

5. Scotian

Anyone that has the Quest needs to get geared up with Sidequest so you can load free demos & developing games. The one I play 75% of the time is a free one called Crisis VRigade. Pretty addictive.

6. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I have an Oculus Go. I love scaring the crap out of myself with the horror games!

7. Scotian

Any recommendations?

8. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I like the 6D movies with 3D and moving seats, especially a five-minute intense motorcycle race where you drop from massive heights..

9. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Yep, There is a place down here called Zero Latency which is set up in a factory and you walk around shooting zombies in a V.R environment, and I've tried out the PS4 V.R experience which was pretty decent but..............I have tried a prototype for the coming FB V.R headset that was truly mind blowing... 8k graphics and up to 7.1 sound inside the headset which was surprising light....

I should say no more, but it will be a massive game changer when it's finally released :)

10. Scotian

I think we're in the early stages of what this medium will eventually be. Exciting stuff.

11. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I bought a cheapo Google Cardboard many years ago and it was fun messing with the demo stuff like the Paul McCartney live video. I can only imagine how much better the tech is these days. I'm a huge fan of the Half-Life series so the Alyx announcement was very exciting but that price of admission... wow!
    Is there enough quality material to make the hardware cost worthwhile? Driving games sound like a good idea and I imagine flight sims could be cool as well.

12. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I was playing a vintual reality video game.It was cool but I’ve been living under a rock so all of this technology is new to me.It was almost creepy.This was not even the best or latest.

13. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

I watched several VR short films two years ago. The one that stuck out was "Dinner Party" - instead of gimmicks or still tied to conventional film making, it used the tech to its advantage. I'd love to get goggles and see how far the craft has evolved in the last two years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.