Waiting for the Sun & The Soft Parade

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Doctor, Dec 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

What can I add after six pages, except that I got the first six albums very close together, and I love them all. Though WFTS & TSP are probably my least favorite.

Just recently got a great, clean used vinyl copy of WFTS. I appreciate it for what it is, great stuff on there though it doesn't hang together as an album as well as The Doors or Strange Days.

Soft Parade took me time to appreciate. I think the blaring horns at times actually sound great. "Shaman's Blues" is one of their best underrated cuts, along with "Do It" and "Wild Child".

"Who Scared You" is a great B-side, and it's kind of a crime that it wasn't on TSP properly. What an awesome song, sounds great with the horns. Morrison is all attitude on that one.

2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Especially with that powerful mix for Touch Me.

MrSka57 likes this.
  3. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

“I am troubled immeasurably by your eyes”

What’s up with dat?

I have had all the good songs from The Soft Parade downloaded for a few years, except for two of them. I just bought the CD for the first time so now I have them all.

I have a downloaded version of the song The Soft Parade that is 8:37 long. It starts with the seminary school.

But I noticed when I played the CD that there is a vocal part about “her eyes” that comes first. The school part does not start until 50 seconds into the song.

The CD back cover says the song is 8:40 long. The CD booklet says the song is 9:41.

So what’s up, why are there two different versions?

4. anastasios

anastasios Forum Resident

The version with the poem is from the 40th ann edition.

California Couple likes this.
  5. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Is that the only change on the album from the original mixes?

6. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

No the entire album is remixed. I'm not a fan. It sounds wrong.

California Couple likes this.
  7. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

I celebrate the entire Doors catalog.

Waiting For The Sun was my first non hits package Doors purchase when I was a teen back in the 80's. I was recently able to score a mint Elektra 1st press with unipak cover for cheap.

The Soft Parade is usually a late night spin for me, typically on headphones. I find that album really soothing.

8. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

LOVE the Doors -- and my first Doors album (and for a long time, only) was the iconic The Best of The Doors. One of the first CDs I bought and still one of the medium's best, I might add.

[​IMG]

I later "inherited" a friend's uncles' old dusty LPs -- and it just so happens, it was these two Doors albums; Waiting For The Sun and The Soft Parade that were in the lot. None of the others. So, ironic for this thread topic, it was these two albums that were my first proper Doors "Original LP experience," if you will.

And honestly... at the time... I thought they were total DUDS!! At the time. Now, I absolutely love them -- and perhaps play these two albums (and LA Woman) more than the others. But I'll never forget that first reaction I had, after being preened on the cream-of-the-crop for so long. Eager to dive-in beyond the hits, Waiting For The Sun sounded good and had that winning formula, but it really missed the mark. And then The Soft Parade sounded like a total flop, minus the dynamite "Touch Me" of course. I thought it was a disaster.

So that was my first reaction. I can therefore imagine others having that reaction at the time, or if they too came to these album like I did.

9. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Yes, "The Soft Parade" is a great night album.

It's funny these two albums are the focus because, as I probably already mentioned, they remain the two that I'm most likely to return to as complete albums. All the others are simply good albums where I really gravitate to a few specific songs (The Crystal Ship, Light My Fire, The End for the debut. You're Lost Little Girl and When The Music's Over for Strange Days. Indian Summer and Blue Sunday for Morrison Hotel. And Love Her Madly and most all of side two on LA Woman).

Yet "Waiting For The Sun" and "The Soft Parade" just really come off as seamless and easy to get into (for some reason). I can listen to either album and love virtually every track, at least for what it is.

Of course, my most listened to Doors item is the custom "best of" I made. But that's neither here nor there really. :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Detroit Music Fan and perplexed like this.
  10. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Have always thought WFTS was superb and the Soft Parade pretty good.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  11. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

My two favorite Doors albums with Soft Parade at the top the list.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  12. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Waiting for the Sun is one of their best.

Morrison was still writing phenomenal lyrics. "Spanish Caravan" and "Yes, the River Knows" are incredible songs... dark, strange, beautiful, powerful. Everything that made the Doors great.

13. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

I wish they had played Love Street more live.

14. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

It’s easily one of my favourite Doors songs. I’ve never heard it live before.

15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Overall, no. My Wild Love is the one real stinker.

john lennonist and Six Bachelors like this.
  16. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

I even love that one!

Scope J likes this.
  17. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

This was also my first Doors "album." I inherited the cassette when I was around 15, at the height of grunge rock. Kurt Cobain was still alive and The Doors really sounded different. Within a few months, I totally abandoned the 90s music and got into 60's stuff. Updated that Doors tape with the old fatbox CD. That's still a great best-of.

Kirk76 and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  18. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Waiting for the Sun is a great album; for my money, even ranks above Morrison Hotel.

The Soft Parade ? Wobbly, ungrounded, like an answer searching for a question, IMO.

19. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Waiting for the Sun may be my favorite Doors album; the only thing that'd make it better would be if it included its own title track. The "filler" tracks are some of my favorite songs by the band, and if anything I like Side B more than the A-side, though I'm not a huge fan of "Five to One".

I like a few tracks on The Soft Parade -- especially "Touch Me", which I think is one of the truly great pop songs of its era -- but I find most of the album to be embarrassingly corny on both a musical and lyrical level. I'm 90% sure it was the last Doors album I heard of the original six, and maybe if I'd gotten to know it earlier things would be different, but as it stands it's the one Doors albumI have a hard time listening to (of the ones with Jim, that is) .

20. Love them both, but always play them back-to-back like a double-album. 'Not To Touch The Earth' is everything that The Doors are. IMHO of course...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  21. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

In my opinion the long track The Soft Parade is the best ever track by the band. Puts aside others, even The End.
    On the other hand I thing that Touch Me is over produced, what's all those horns?

22. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Love them both Waiting for the Sun much more so. One of my first Doors records.

23. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

Listened to a 24/96 version of Soft Parade yesterday, loved it. I think the horns might be overdone on Touch Me but are great on other tracks, it's a shame they didn't continue that interesting diversion.

24. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

I Like Soft Parade more than Morrison Hotel, I think Soft Parade is underrated

john lennonist likes this.
  25. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Stockholm 68.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.