"Walk The Line"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hawkman, Nov 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

Well I saw it tonight and loved it! I admit that I went in with a bias WANTING to like the movie. It's the kind of bias that sets you up for a big fall if you are disappointed. I'm happy to say that I wasn't disappointed. I came out of the movie with one big realization......I need a woman like June Carter in my life. Not that she needs to save me from drugs or alcohol but, damn, she was down to earth. :)

2. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I hear that Phoenix did his own singing and is very good. Did he pull off the role of Cash? Is it a memorable acting performance or more of a caricature?

3. Hawkman

He was good! I could see where he got some of Johnny's mannerisms down but it didn't look like he was TRYING, if you know what I mean.

Actually, I was very impressed with Reese Witherspoon as June Carter. I think she really nailed it. I could see more of 'June' in her than 'Johnny' in Joaqin....and he was GREAT! HER singing was just as good. I mean, you know it's not Johnny and June singing but if it were, it would have detracted from the movie since you would KNOW it's not them singing. The fact that it's them singing and not dubbed made their performances that much better.

GMfan87' likes this.
  4. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Pheonix's voice has curves. Johnny Cash's voice had edges. I went into this movie determined to be open minded, but I just can't do it. Like the film if you want, for whatever reason you want, but I'll stick to the fact that a movie about Johnny Cash just can't be made.

Then there were a couple of script details that bothered me, mainly because they're so lethargically placed in every bio pic -- the scene, for example, where June says "You don't walk no line" and later "It burns" -- points at which the audience is supposed to go "Oh, that's where that song came from." These are tired movie cliches, and if ever there was subject matter deserving of more than just the usual formula, it's the life of Johnny Cash.

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

While that's a small detail, I feel your pain. The recent Elvis made for TV movie made me want to vomit, with 10 different people saying "That's All Right, Elvis" 100 times before he recorded That's All Right. Just stupid.
    :rolleyes:

6. Hawkman

Early on in the film, Reese Witherspoon did June's 'growl' in one of the songs. I was really surprised that she did that and got it. I understand what you are saying about Johnny's voice but that's what made it 'Johnny's' voice. The problem you mention with biopics, the 'that's where that came from' syndrome does indeed crop up here as it does in just about all of my favorite biopics, like 'Chaplin' for instance. But I would respectfully argue that there are some instances that can't be left OUT of a biopic and therefore there is no way to avoid them. Since this movie was mainly about John & June, of course they had to touch on 'Ring Of Fire' since that pretty much nails what it was all about for them at the time.

The only thing that I was looking for that I wish they had done was the incident in Nickajack Cave. I think that was a major turning point in Johnny's life both spiritually, health wise and career wise. It seems as if they found a way around that with the drug dealer.

7. Hawkman

And I feel YOUR pain. :) Can you imagine what would happen if they ever filmed a Beatles biopic? It would be chock full of references like that. The problem is that some of those great songs came from something THAT SIMPLE and there is no way around it. I remember a Benny Goodman (?) biopic years ago where it made a point of his mother saying to him 'Don't Be That Way'. :rolleyes:

8. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I was looking for it and up until the end of the film I was expecting it. The script claims to be based on the CASH autobiography (in part, anyway), and the Nickajack caves episode is a crucial turning point in that book. I can't believe they left it out, apparently substituting Mother Maybelle with a shotgun for it.

9. Hawkman

The movie has inspired me to re-read CASH. I also have a signed copy of "Man In Black" which I haven't read yet. Frankly, I don't remember any mention of Mother Maybelle with a shotgun in CASH. Maybe it was in 'Man In Black'??? :) I am, like you, disappointed that Nickajack Cave was left out. I agree that it was a crucial turning point. I'm sure that it could have been filmed in a very dramatic way including his crawl through pitch black darkness to get out. That was probably my only real disappointment with the film.

10. RDK

RDK Active Member

Come on, Cash's real life was no less a cliche than any of the story beats used in the movie: he had a rough home life as a youth, suffered a traumatic incident (his brother's death) that left him emotionally scarred, his struggle for success, his rise-and-fall from success, his drug addiction and recovery, etc. It was just like watching RAY or countless other biopics.

That said, I dug the pic quite a bit (as I wrote last week), but it is a biopic with all of the genre's limitations.

11. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I'm not going to agree with anyone who says Cash's life was cliche. If it seems that way, it's because it has been turned into a cliche by the film, just like the lives of others in RAY and countless biopics.

12. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

As I recall, CASH tells of Johnny emerging from the caves to find June and Mother Maybelle waiting for him. The more I think about the omission of this event, the more I realize that it could have been the different heart this film needs.

13. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Saw the film last night too. I thought it was well done for what it is - a Hollywood version of one person's life. I didn't know that much about Cash before viewing the film. I'm more of a casual fan than a hardcore fan and I'm sure there will be folks who object to plenty of stuff in the film, but I thought it was well done overall. In the end I think the message of the film carried the message of his life - love conquers all. At least that's what I got out of it. Plus it was fun to imagine along with the film what it must have been like to be among the other early rock-n-roll figures on tour together. Those folks really were pioneers in every sense - I'd heard that word used before, but didn't catch the sense of it until seeing the film. So for that alone the movie was worth the price of admission - historical inaccuracies aside.
    -------- Chris

14. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I got stuck in a record shop this afternoon that was playing the soundtrack CD, and Phoenix is no Johnny Cash soundalike. Singing in a low register does not make you Johnny Cash. Maybe it works better in the context of seeing his performance in the film, but on record, it sounds laughable. He hasn't got the resonance, and he can't hit Cash's low notes, so he substitutes higher ones. Kudos to him for learning the songs, and giving it a try for the flick, but as for the soundtrack album, I wanted to go up to the clerks playing the thing and say, "If you're gonna play Johnny Cash, play Johnny Cash!" :shake:

15. Hawkman

You are right in that it works for the film, but I'm taking a pass on the soundtrack too. I saw it today at a Borders here in New Jersey and it's basically other people pretending to sing like other people. I don't need that when I have the real thing at home.

16. Hawkman

You are right because that is what struck me too. Mother Maybelle and June were waiting for him with food. It's a REALLY poignant moment and as you said before, a crucial turning point. A man in desperation purposely walks into a cave a far back as he can go and lays down to die. We're not talking a cave that goes straight back like in Gilligan's Island. We're talking a cave with twists and turns and tunnels this way and that. In the pitch black darkness he feels the presence of God and the feeling that he should not do this. He crawls out by feeling with his hands and follows the draft. He is met outside the cave by Mother Maybelle and June with a renewed sense of life and goes on to record one of the biggest albums of his career with Folsom.

Seems like a turning point to me.

17. Capt. Cadillac

Capt. Cadillac Forum Resident

Like in Backbeat when John gripes about playing in the clubs "eight days a week." :hurl:
    I'm looking forward to seeing Walk the Line, though.

18. Daniel

Daniel New Member

This does look good! I plan to watch it next saturday. :goodie:

19. It's the same argument every time a bio pic comes out. Joaquin Phoenix is no Johnny Cash. Reese Witherspoon is no June Carter. Val Kilmer is no Jim Morrison. Kyle MacLachlan is no Ray Manzarek. Jimmy Stewart is no Glenn Miller. Every time there is a mention of Jimi Hendrix bio pic, everyone freaks out. "This person can't play Jimi Hendrix. That person can't. No one can play Jimmy." Bio pics have to be one of the hardest genres for actors and actresses. Everyone is going to compare you to the real person.

Hate watching films were the actors voice is dubbed with someone else singing. Check George Clooney Oh Brother Where Art Thou for reference. Looks so phony.

Folks, maybe try suspending your beliefs a bit when you go see this type of film.

G/f and I saw Walk The Line last night (7pm showing) to a packed house. Was surprised to see a lot of the patrons were older than us.

Thought the film was wonderful. Great performances. Was impressed that Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon were singing their own parts. It made the film more realistic. Right from the start of the film, I parked my thought about Joaquin's voice. Yes, he's no Johnny. Who is? Enjoyed this much more than Ray. Audience seemed to enjoy it as well.

Seeing the film inspired us to get up today and listen to The Essential Johnny Cash. I even pulled out my ac guitar and strummed along to a few tunes. :)

I recommend this film. If you suspend your beliefs a bit, it might help you enjoy the movie more.

20. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I think it's great if people enjoy the film, especially if it inspires them to go listen to the man's music. And you may have a point re: the same old gripes about biopics. I think the problem here is that some of us are purists and our respect, even our reverence, for the man Johnny Cash was and the musician he remains makes us protective of his memory. While these may be some of the same old gripes, the fact is that for years to come this movie will be all that many know about Johnny Cash, and considering the amount of documentation the man left behind (some of which the filmmakers claim is source material for the script) I personally think more could have been done to make it more faithful to Cash's vision and to rough road he walked. For the many who will take this film as fact, I think more of the facts should have been preserved.

We seem neatly divided in this discussion. As I was telling some friends of mine who asked me about the film yesterday, I am probably not one to look to for an objective critique of I WALK THE LINE. I guess I am blessed and/or cursed with knowing too much of the story.

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i heard the soundtrack, and phoenix sounds like someone doing kareoke trying to do johnny cash. not very good at all.

actually, witherspoon's songs were the best on the soundtrack.

i know shelby lynne is in the movie, does she have a singing part?

renny

22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Shelby doesn't have a singing part and Shooter Jennings portrayed Waylon

23. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

So, was Waylon's hair THAT long back in the 60's?

24. Hawkman

That was my reaction too. Anyone know?

25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

It wasn't long in the 1960s at all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.