Walking Dead on AMC (Part 5)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Vidiot isn't spoiling anything so there's no reason to be high strung about it. You probably should avoid speaking for everybody by saying that we give "zero phux". If you hate people casually mentioning the existence of the comic book from time to time, then I suppose that it's probably too ask that you refrain from watching tv shows that are based on comic books, because that is what comic book fans DO.

Mr. H, Vidiot and Karsten like this.
  2. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I may have mentioned this in passing in an older post, but having only briefly looked at a few other "Walking Dead" discussion forums, the "discussing the comic book" issue seems to be hotly debated.

Ultimately, though, the TV show *does not* mirror the comic book. If the TV show had thus far been a super-faithful adaptation of the comic book , with all of the characters, and character arcs, and deaths lining up, then I would say comic book discussion would count as a spoiler.

But in this case, it doesn't. There are characters in each version that don't even exist in the other. As was mentioned, deaths and injuries and all of that have been jumbled.

But I don't understand getting so worked up because someone posted, in response a long list of TV characters, that one (unnamed) character in that list was killed off in the comic book. Sure, I think it would be nice if a TV episode lines up pretty closely to the comic, that a comic book reader not mention "Oh man, if this is like the comic book, Rick is totally going to get his nuts blown off in the next episode!" But the TV show doesn't often line up that closely.

I would argue though, even if the TV show was a faithful adaptation of the comic book, at what point has enough time passed to discuss both? If a TV show is adapting years-old or decades-old printed material, what are we supposed to do? Didn't someone seem genuinely perturbed in the "Bates Motel" thread that someone mentioned in passing the now 55-year-old ending of "Psycho", even thought he writers/staff of "Bates Motel" have mentioned it numerous times?

Mr. H, Vidiot, Karsten and 2 others like this.
  3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I've already spoken about it and realize it won't stop anyone from discussing what they want to, but it is annoying that people persist when there is another thread for that sort of thing.

In the same vein, you might think twice about speaking for all comic book fans and what they want. I've been a comic book fan for a long time, and I don't automatically watch shows that are based on comics or feel the unstoppable urge to compare/contrast/comment. In fact, as I mentioned earlier I didn't even know there was a comic before I started watching the show, so it has no connection for me. And given how widespread (Not!) comic book reading is I suspect that the majority of watchers of the show have never seen the comic either.

John K.

4. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Uh.. Yeah. I'm not exactly speaking for "all" comic fans by stating the fact that comic book fans talk about comics, but thanks. I wasn't the one that posted the word "we", here.

5. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Feel free to discuss whatever the heck you want.
    It is ONLY a television show and it is ONLY a comic book.

Mr. H, Vidiot, Hawklord and 3 others like this.
  6. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

The point is, there's an existing, other thread for discussion of the comic AND the series. Most of us realize that a small percentage of posters in this thread have read the comics. They've made that well known. If they want to talk about the comics, why can't they post in the other thread to/for others who have read the comics too, and wish to compare/contrast?

There are many of us here who don't want to compare/contrast this show with the comics. That is what this thread is for - discussion of the series ONLY. For people who haven't (or don't want to) read the comics, but enjoy the show, and don't want to know what's coming next. Why can't you respect that?

subzro likes this.
  7. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Let's get back on track.

It occurred to me that Carol did not want to get close to the little boy because of her experience with the two girls (sorry I can't remember everyone's names) at the cabin with Tyrese. BTW that episode is still one of my favorites, it was really haunting. However, once she realizes that some abuse is occurring it draws up memories/feelings of her past abuse and awakens her true motherly nature.

Mr. H, stumpy, Vidiot and 3 others like this.
  8. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Well now you're just assuming that people in the comic thread WANT to talk about the TV show and compare/contrast. Like it or not, there's gonna be overlap.

9. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

That understudy talk was a pretty standard "you're dead" scene.
    But then I thought Maggie was going to get it after the mayor took her in as her understudy.

10. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I guess that could be considered an unspoken rule: If you begin looking forward to your future, then you don't have one.

Another unspoken rules says that since they just killed a black guy we're about to get a new black guy. Can't have too many of them, you know. It might upset the white world order. ;)

mikeyt likes this.
  11. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

How long has it been since they showed Morgan? Didn't he first reappear at the end of last season, and then later in the middle of this season? Talk about your dangling plot points!

I fully expect this season to end with a shot of Morgan walking up to the gate of Alexandria.

turnersmemo, Rubber65 and mikeyt like this.
  12. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

If you can prove that people in this thread that are only watching the tv show (and haven't read the comic books) actually WANT the spoilers, then feel free to continue sharing them.

13. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Ah, that's an excellent observation.

That makes me fearful of any new Asian characters who may show up. I can deal with Darryl biting the dust if it comes down to it; IMO I think they're setting that up. What he says about the horse, "If they're out here too long they eventually become what they truly are," could apply to him. But I think Glen is, or was for a while, the heart of the show. I may shed some real tears if he goes.

Isn't the 90min finale this weekend?

14. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

You'd have a better point had spoilers actually been given.

15. DreadPikathulhu

Glenn had better watch out for competition. I think Noah's death will be a turning point for the character.

Two more weeks.

Mr. H and mikeyt like this.
  16. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

I mentioned this a few times in the thread. I too am curious regarding Morgan. How is he going to show up, is he trailing far behind. And I'm curious as to why he didn't join the group when they went off in the forest after Rick wrote on the sign to avoid terminus. I mean he was right behind them. Or maybe he doesn't know it's Rick and his group and he's just being cautious. Either or, if Morgan was following them on foot then by now they're miles apart. If Morgan is following them by car, wouldn't Ricks group have noticed when they were walking on the road when their cars ran out of gas and they were all dehydrated. Oh my god it just hit me while I'm writing this. Daryl and his side kick who are out trying to find survivors. I'm going to venture a guess that while they are out Daryl will stumble on him and bring Morgan back to Alexandria. Just like he did when he brought back Noah from the Atlanta.

17. DreadPikathulhu

They must have a purpose for Morgan, otherwise they wouldn't have gone out of their way to show him twice. Everyone assumed he'd be the one to save them at Terminus or from the hospital, but both of those turned out to be false.

18. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Glad you agree, since spoilers have been given, in this thread:

"There's one major character who's already been killed off in the comic book, but I won't reveal the spoiler. It's pretty obvious who it's gonna be. Another character has a pretty severe injury, but..."

"Recall, from this point there's a guy whose name starts with an "N" who isn't far off."

These are completely unnecessary comments IN THIS THREAD. They belong in the other thread completely.

19. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

These aren't spoilers. What exactly are they spoiling? Is it really a surprise that at some point another character will die? Come on. If anything, these are spoilers for the books, NOT the show. Four seasons ago, would it have been a spoiler if somebody told you that Lori died in the assault on the prison along with Judith? No, because it didn't go down that way on the show. Maybe it didn't either in the books (you'll have to read to find out for sure). These are only potential spoilers if you ever plan on reading the books, which you clearly aren't planning on doing, so lighten up.

Vidiot likes this.
  20. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I disagree - those are indeed spoilers and are completely unnecessary.

21. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

If they are indeed spoilers then tell me exactly what you learned.

22. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I learned that one of the major characters is likely to die soon, and another suffer a severe injury. And that there's a significant character about to be introduced.

None of which I wished to know in advance. That makes those things spoilers.

I fail to see how that's so hard to understand. And why it's unwelcome.

23. DreadPikathulhu

There is also a significant chance the season will end with the cast sitting around a campfire in Alexandria, singing Kumbaya while toasting marshmallows.

mikeyt and Lownote30 like this.
  24. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

And perhaps followed by a smash cut to Morgan trudging up the street toward Alexandria with his cache of guns but no ammo left, with a zombie herd nipping at his heels.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.