Walking Dead on AMC (Part 6: Everybody Dies) (No Comic Spoilers, Please)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DreadPikathulhu, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

People complain about the 10 second trailer for the new show...they complain about this trailer being too long...what do you people want??? :)

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member Thread Starter

The new season to start?

Scott222C and mattdm11 like this.
  3. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Amen. I love reading the comics. I haven't been comic book guy since I was 13 but its a way to get my fix in between seasons. I just get the compendiums that have like 12 issues on one hardcover book. $25 on amazon. I won't ruin it for anyone though...but get them!!

4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

the show to stop sucking.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  5. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Get over it man. The show sucked for a half season out of five so far. Maybe time for you to move on.

Scott222C likes this.
  6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member Thread Starter

So is anyone excited about the new series being less than 10 days away?

It's been too long for my zombie fix.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  7. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Not me. I can't stand prequels, and having it set in LA just makes it feel cheap. They should have set it in the arctic wilderness or something. I'll watch it, but I can wait until it hits Netflix.

8. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Definitely curious and looking forward to it. I hope the plotlines and characters are as well developed as the original show.

I don't consider it a prequel, since it's really not the same characters and the shows are not directly related (as far as I've read), despite it being the same "universe" and happening earlier in time.

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

I'll be watching it.

10. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

I will definitely scope it out.

11. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I caught up with the last half of Season 5 on Netflix this past week, and while I thought the way they handled Rick's erratic behavior was clumsy, I generally like where they've taken the story.

There's not much sense anymore complaining about the hysterical nonsense that drives the plot at various times. I'm still watching this far in, and the sixth season trailer looks interesting, but Breaking Bad this ain't. It's unevenly written bubblegum that's elevated by the presence of some of the actors and the twitchy paranoia that the walkers inspire. As for some of the other actors, their characters need to be Zombie Chow sooner rather than later (Gabriel, I'm looking at you).

12. Solaris

As an addendum to the above, the writers do land a solid punch now and then. The one that really resonated with me in these last few episodes was when Carol told Rick something like, "Tell them a story. These people are children, they want a story." It summed up everything concisely, and reflected a tendency in our society as a whole to be easily placated with an easily digestible narrative.

13. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I just caught up via Netflix as well. So which black character is going to die now that Morgan has joined the group: Sasha or Gabriel (Michonne is obviously untouchable until the actress quits)?

"Gain a black character, lose a black character" may as well be a law of the Walking Dead universe at this point.

So are we meant to believe that the Wolves are just those two guys? Are they the outcasts from Alexandria?

One thing that didn't really make sense to me in the season finale was when Rick discovered the gate had been left open, he started running around the town looking for walkers. It was maybe late afternoon and looked like plenty of daylight out. Cut to commercial. When we return, it's now completely turned to night time and Rick is still running around. A couple of problems with this:
    • How big is the town? Big enough for Rick to be running all over from late afternoon through nightfall without encountering any walkers or people?
    • Speaking of people, why didn't Rick warn anyone? "Someone left the gate open and it looks like some walkers got in! Everyone shelter inside while we mop up!"
    Keep in mind that I was watching on Netflix with no commercials, so maybe the jump from daylight to darkness was less obvious with a commercial break in between, but it just seemed like a continuity error to me.

Solaris likes this.
  14. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Also, how did Glen make it out of that situation he was in of lying on his back in the woods with a bunch of zombies piling on top of him??? I mean, since they didn't show his death on screen you knew he wasn't dead, but things looked pretty bleak when last saw him.

Solaris likes this.
  15. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Also also, I'm already sick of Morgan's "All life is precious" schtick. If he had killed those two Wolves at his camp like he should have, I'm betting the group would be saved a whole lot of grief in the coming season.

vegafleet likes this.
  16. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Which makes Morgan the moral opposite of Rick. Rick's morality has evolved into "Only my immediate group's lifes are precious. When in the slightest, tiniest doubt, kill everybody else."

But in the show's world, Rick got a lot of grief from being closer to Hershel's morality circa season 2. His "turning" was complete by the time of the Terminus affair.

Carol just happened to "turn" earlier than Rick.

17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I disagree with this. He's the only voice of hope in the show at this point. If all hope is lost, is there any reason to continue? If all hope is lost, they will be what Rick said they are last season: the walking dead. If that's what they are, then why go on and why should we as viewers support these characters? I was a Rick supporter for quite a long time, but he's gone so far over the edge. He's basically Shane now. There really isn't a likable character in the show with the possible exception of Morgan. I'm hoping that Morgan will step up to challenge Rick. I only watched the trailer once, but that does seem to be where the show is heading. There seems to be a bit of a civil war coming with characters choosing sides.

18. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I'm not saying Rick and the group are 100% right, either, but Morgan's outlook on life seems way too naive and idealistic at this point in the apocalypse. The two Wolves literally tried to murder him. He would have been perfectly justified in killing them in self defense and also preventing any further harm to come from them. Instead he knocks them out and leaves them safe in a car? Why? That's just silly pie-in-the-sky idealism in their world.

Scott222C likes this.
  19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I feel that in this fictional world, when the others have gone to the other extreme by becoming completely despicable people for the sake of surviving, there needs to be a voice from the other extreme to say that there is some kind of hope, that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It's a morality tale that asks viewers the question, "Which way would you go? Would completely abandon all of your morals and become as detestable as those you are fighting against or would you go the other way, hold onto your morals and try to make the world a place that is actually worth living in and living for?". I was with Dale in season 2 when he was the lone voice making essentially the same arguments when the group was going to execute that innocent kid in the barn. I was with Dale then, and I'm with Morgan now. If there isn't a voice for hope, there isn't a world worth living in.

Solaris and Bruce like this.
  20. Solaris

I still like Daryl and Michonne, but Rick has certainly gone over the edge and it still isn't clear why. Do I need to go back and watch the first half of season 5 again?

Encuentro likes this.
  21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I don't remember why he went over the edge. I believe it started when that gang that Daryl had been hanging around had attacked Rick, Daryl and Carl on the street at the end of season 4, and Rick bit the guys throat out.

Rubber65 likes this.
  22. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Well, I am with Bert Brecht on how people are wired : First the grub then the morals

23. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I don't think it would be completely despicable to kill two men in self defense when they had just tried to murder you and steal all of your supplies. Yes, the innocent kid in the barn and the wife-beating doctor in Alexandra are slightly more complex cases, but in TWD world I think killing in self defense (as in Morgan's case with the two Wolves) is a pragmatic, necessary evil.

24. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'm pumped up for the new season!!!

DreadPikathulhu and Scott222C like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.