Walking Into Clarksdale: Jimmy Page/Robert Plant

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Barnabas Collins, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

I loved it from the start... When I first heard Most High I was over the moon about it, so I was disappointed that the album didn't feature more of that (I expected/wanted a continuation of the No Quarter vibe), but once I took it for what it was the songs grew on me quickly and it was played very frequently...

It was no Zeppelin, neither did I want it to be... I think there's plenty to enjoy and Page did a fine job of providing his sound/style without taking over, even if on some songs he does rock... It's overall mellow and with a bit of a dark feel and I enjoy it lots...

It's Jimmy Page and Robert Plant in 1998, no more and no less...

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  2. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

That's probably fairly accurate. Both Page and Plant were big Buckley fans. Who wasn't then anyway? No doubt Plant especially wanted to keep things more low key on Clarksdale as he knew that he couldn't or didn't want to compete with sonic signature of Zeppelin.

In the end it was lackluster songwriting and production that brought this album down though I think there were a few very nice moments.

3. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Here's a guy who loved it...
    From Martin Popoff's The Collector's Guide To Heavy Metal Volume 3: The Nineties

He gives it a 10 out of 10. I especially like his comments about Plant's singing...

"Like a verdant jungle wellspring gusher thing, Walking Into Clarksdale rustles into view through the controlled cat-like energy of Shining In The Light, the album’s well-chosen second single. And once introduced to the record, we can rest assured that all is well in the sparsely populated land of rock gods. For Walking Into Clarksdale does everything one could wish for, in a particularly Zeppelin state of mind. Songs of many ilk dot this landscape, the Wanton Crunge metal of Sons Of Freedom, the driving carnal rock of When The World Was Young, and the shameless Eastern mysticism of Most High seemingly springing up on virgin impact, raw, immediate, textured, but untenderized. Most indicative of this Houses Of The Holy ethic is the eccentric vocal work of Robert Plant, who quite distractedly wigs out with sharps, flats, crazy warbles and improvised bleatings until you actually start to believe the spontanaeity is literal. Page does the same sort of on-the-fly colouring, but it is a more typical but inspired performance that occurs, sinewy tones unique to the man, less to do with flash than sonic yearning. Bottom line though is that Walking Into Clarksdale is a record of legendary ambling rambling troubadors in successful struggle with song, two icons and their seriously urgent backing band taming twelve melodramas that can only be written by and for men of By-Tor."

4. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

I have had almost the same reaction as the thread starter. Never lighted my fire and not even sure I want to pull it out for a listen but time has a way of shifting perceptions so perhaps I will.

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

There were some cool tracks, but the production was kind of sterile and Page was completely unimpressive - and I blame Albini for that. If anyone saw the 95/96 tours, it was clear that Page was pretty "on" - and considering that in the studio, one could expect him to be able to spend the necessary time to nail a solo and layer his guitar work, it is baffling that there wasn't one kick-a$$ solo or real tight riff. It is an average album that could have been much more.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  6. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I don't agree with this, though I can certainly see why it might seem that way.

My feeling is that he needed to practice and keep practicing. Or maybe it was the drugs in the late 70's, I don't know. :wave: I saw him on the 1st Firm tour. Woah. Not so great. Saw him on the 2nd Firm tour, OK, I saw some glimpses of the early to mid 70's greatness we all know and love.

And I saw him on Clarksdale tour. Like a few others have mentioned, they mostly played Led Zeppelin material, and I thought he had regained most of his form from the early 70's.

Still curious about which "Jimmy Page" showed up at the O2 concert a while back though. :)

7. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

there's some very insightful obsertvations in this thread. i'm gonna revisit this CD today -- thanks!

8. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Second,

I will re-visit this cd today!

9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I really like this album a lot. Always have.

10. live evil

live evil Senior Member

I've always enjoyed this album.
    But I agree - you have to check your Zeppelin expectations at the door.
    It is a Page and Plant album - 2 elder statesmen getting back together.
    I saw this tour in Cleveland, and I thought the Clarksdale songs were as good as the classics, especially "Most High."
    It really built momentum like "Kashmir."
    I was disappointed that most of the crowd decided to take a beer or potty break during the non-Zep songs.

11. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Gotta agree with you there. But it still seams to grow on me with age, perhaps as I see the chances of A Zep reunion fading away.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  12. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member Thread Starter

Martin Popoff frequently has some interesting opinions contrary to popular consensus. For instance, he gave Deep Purple's "House of Blue Light" a 10 out of 10 and thinks the Steve Morse era is Purple's best. Similarly he rates the Paul Chapman UFO higher than the Michael Schenker years.

And on topic Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, he rates Walking Into Clarksdale higher than at least half of Led Zeppelin's catalog including: I, II, Houses of the Holy and In Through the Out Door! :yikes:

I always enjoy reading his reviews even if I don't always agree with them.

13. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

:agree: Wanted to like it, but it is just too depressingly dark. In fact, I thought Coverdale Page had more highlights (and I didn't like that one either)

14. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

I was also at the show in Cleveland. It was the same night Widespread Panic was playing, which I had originally planned to attend. Thank God I changed my plans!

The show was great. I remember being disappointed with the album, but figured I would give it time to grow. 1998 was the year that Presence became one of my favorite Zeppelin albums, after years and years of dislike, and I thought maybe the same would happen with WIC. So far, no such luck.

15. live evil

live evil Senior Member

That was an awesome show.
    Made the trip from Cincy just to see it.

We stayed with friends in Lakewood, and we took the train to the show.
    I remember Plant cracking some joke during the show about he and Page being married.
    On the train after the show, some really drunk guy was crushed to learn that his heroes were gay.

16. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

I was at the Cleveland '98 show as well. There was a Zep convention there at the same time. I don't recall the "married" line but I will never forget the great solo Jimmy played on "No Quarter". It was just fantastically great blueswailing from him.

In 2000 with the Black Crowes he was even better. I think its a shame that P/P didn't keep developing together.

I too am going to have to revisit Clarksdale soon as it's been a while.

17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I gave it another try after Plant re-recorded 'Please Read The Letter' with Allison Krauss, but aside from the novelty of comparing the two versions, the album didn't do anything for me.

18. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I always thought this album was a missed opportunity. With a production job that fit the players and material, cutting back on the filler - this could have been a really nice little gem. Two of my fav players creating an almost unlistenable set of music. A few tracks are interesting.

Having said that - the tour was great. I saw them at the Palace in the Detroit area. Great show. Very Zep. I remember they did a solo Plant song: Call to me & a Coverdale/ Page song - both very good. Oh...and a cover of a Cure song. All very interesting and fresh sounding.

I also saw the Page/Crowes tour which was just awesome.:)

19. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

You're describing the tour for No Quarter of 1995. It was an excellent show. I saw the 2 shows on the DC stop.

Just popped in the WIC cd which I haven't listened in ages and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. This may be the first time I've heard it since I got my Monitor Audio speakers and I'm hearing bits I hadn't heard before. Love it when that happens. "Burning up" is still pretty awful but the rest is very listenable. I'm really liking the closer "Sons of Freedom" a lot now. Still wish the production and the cd sonics were better but it is what it is.

20. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

WIC was an okay album that should have and could have been better. Like others have mentioned the subsequent tour was pretty hot, albeit maybe cause of the Zep numbers. The production on that album feels like a wet blanket. Seems like an album to play right before you go to bed....

I was at the Cleveland show in '98 as well - 4th row center. Was at the Zepfest, too. Great memories from that week!

21. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I've had the Japan pressing of this album on cd since it came out, with the bonus track "Whiskey From The Glass", and the cd single for "Most High" with the non-lp track "The Window". This thread moved me to drag these out and listen to them again, as I haven't since I bought them when they were released.
    "Whiskey From The Glass" is excellent - fantastic tremolo guitar from Page, and the non-lp track "The Window" is great as well. Better than I remembered!

22. asturias

asturias Forum Resident

You're right!! both songs are great !!!!

23. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Crap. :) Now I'll have to track those tracks down. Wasn't aware of them before.

24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Just checked, I have "shining the light" japan cd single.. oh well.

I'll keep diggin though.

25. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I thought this and the No Quarter record were both great. Please Read This Letter is an amazing track, the original.

Clarksdale is better than In Thru the Out Door and Coda for sure.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.