Wallander

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by smilin ed, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member Thread Starter

Any love?

Especially for the Swedish series with Krister Henriksson, though I like the Branagh one too.

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yep, the series with Henriksson are great. I've seen all three of them, the first two with the late Johanna Sällstöm as Wallander's daughter Linda, and the new third series. I've also seen an earlier Swedish series with Rolf Lassgård in the title role, but I like Henriksson better. I don't care for the Branagh version, though.

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Oops, sorry for the typo: it's Johanna Sällström, of course. She committed suicide in February 2007.

4. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Lots of love.

5. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

There is a new Swedish series of Wallander currently being shown in Sweden (well obviously) as they took a long break after the suicide of the actress that played his daughter.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That's the third series I mentioned in my post #2. I've got that series on DVD.

7. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yes, sorry, read through stuff too quick. It's my enthusiasm for this good show.:righton:

Spiral I and II was another great euro catch.

8. smilin ed

Really enjoyed Spiral too.

The BBC have shown 13 episodes of Wallander with Henriksson; I know there was an earlier series with Lassgard and there's a new one with Henriksson - so there's an earlier series with Henriksson too?

I understand there are new Branagh episodes early next year too.

9. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Saw most of the series that the BEEB put on here earlier in the year but missed a few episodes. Great Detective series.

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The first series with Henriksson had 6 episodes, the second series 7.

11. smilin ed

Ah, that explains it!

Thanks.

Also explains why some of the supporting cast went missing around about the middle of the series!

12. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Are the DVD versions available with English subtitles?

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have no idea. I have the Dutch DVD releases with Dutch subtitles (of course :)); they didn't have a menu with subtitles in other languages.

14. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

There are a total of 21 episodes available with Henriksson on DVD in Sweden, an additional 5 have scheduled releases throughout next year.

15. ferdinandhudson

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

My Dutch DVD box #3 with Dutch subtitles includes episodes 14 (Hämnden/Revenge) - 19 (Prästen/The Priest).

17. ferdinandhudson

The Swedish box sets are older so don't cram as many episodes in each set. After #13 the Svensk Filmindustri stopped doing box sets altogether although some online stores offer their own bundles.

18. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

19. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

The DVDs cost a fortune. Or they did when I checked about 6 months ago.

20. ferdinandhudson

The Swedish ones? Yeah, they charge you an arm and a leg for DVDs here. Megastore, which I linked to above, also charge an additional arm or leg for shipping but they are about the only online store shipping outside the EU or Sweden even. I haven't checked if anyone's selling these on eBay but that may be an option.

It is possible that these will find UK distribution in the future with better, competitive prices. I certainly find UK shipping rates more agreeable than Swedish.

21. smilin ed

I would hope that they'll become available in the UK now that the BBC have finished showing the series. Spiral, however, took about a year!

22. smilin ed

Wow. Saw the final episode in the series last night and was not ready for that ending - and that on top of the fact that the actress playing Linda committed suicide.

It annoys me that the Branagh version (which I do like, just not as much) goes out at peak time on BBC1 whereas this one is tucked away on BBC4, which, although it's probably the channel I watch the most, is very much a minor channel. Each one is like movie - a good one, too, with atmospheric mise-en-scene, believable characters who are all too human and a tense, involving plot. You'd think subtitles wouldn't be that much of a problem for a British (or US) audience. Same with Spiral - okay, it's not The Wire or Homicide, but it's fast-paced, gripping stuff and better than most of the other cop shows out there.

This either doesn't say much for the channels' opinion of audiences or doesn't say much for the audiences themselves.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  23. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Never seen/saw the Branagh version on the BEEB. I take it that it has already been shown.

24. smilin ed

New episode on Sunday night. First of three.

25. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah I reckon the cast/crew must have suffered shellshock after filming that series. I cant help feeling there was a sense of doom hanging in the air on that one.

I'm impressed they have come back for a third go.

I quite like the style of the BBC versions (first BBC show shot with the Red camera system I think) but I reckon they should drop them and invest in the Swedish series.

The BBC (or any UK channel) needs to start looking for more quality euro shows to put on primetime rather than samey US imports. I've been very impressed with the euro stuff I've seen so far. In fact it's better than what the BBC does (it doesnt have Tasmin Outhwaite or any other Eastenders refugee in it or set in the 19th century)

I think it would improve our attitude to mainland Europe too.:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.