SH Spotlight "Wanna Buy A Record?" movie with Mel Blanc at Capitol Studios, how records are recorded & pressed..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Showed this to my 4 year-old and 8 year-old and they just loved it. "Dad, that guy sounds just like Bugs Bunny!" Got a huge kick over the overdubbed sputtering noises as the car pulls up too, as well as the Bozo The Clown portable record player. Awesome little film, thanks for sharing.

McLover likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

You're welcome!

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Weird, informative and amusingly entertaining

4. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I said it in another thread relating to this clip when it (less the last 7 minutes) was first posted, and I'll say it again: The part with the Scully lathes (post-1950 make) cutting the lead-outs was priceless.

5. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Loved it! Thanks Steve.

6. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Pretty cool.

Other from Lee Gillette, who are all the A&R guys around the table?

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

This appears to be filmed early in 1951, as the 78s being shipped out from the factory are Capitol #1451, which is Les Paul & Mary Ford performing "How High the Moon" and "Walkin' and Whistlin' Blues."
    Capitol1451.jpg R-3270487-1323264358a.jpg

I'm surprised to see this type of printer existing that far back, as I associate these types of sheets with the 1970s and '80s:
    pScreen shot 2013-06-17 at 10.50.21 PM.jpg

McLover, SandAndGlass, Grant and 5 others like this.
  8. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Was this a Promo Film,tho,for Capitol? I think it was,to be shown either in Theaters or in Corporate to instruct workers how to do their jobs,much in the same way General Motors did to do the same for theirs,as I believe my Grandfather once told me they'd done to instruct the "Newbies".

9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

So, am I to guess that the guy talking about Yogi Yorgesson records, was the actual guy himself?

After watching that film I have to ask, just how did they ever figure out how to manufacture albums? I mean, so much goes into the actual making of one simple record, it's almost mind blowing!

I wish there was a newer film about Capitol Records, that would show the new studios and echo chamber of the "Capitol Tower", that would be great fun! I've mentioned this before, but why hasn't someone done a complete film of all of these old L.A. record companies and famous recording studios?

Mister Charlie likes this.
  10. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

That THING at the end of the film is going to haunt me until the end of my days.

Bull Moose likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

I haven't looked for a while but there is Voyle Gilmore, Dave Dexter, Jr. Lee Gillette, Ken Nelson, who am I missing? The "cream".

12. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

It's possible that the Hollywood parts of the film were made later than the Scranton parts, and then the two were combined.

As someone noted in the YouTube comments of the first posting of the film, Dean Martin recorded "Oh Marie," the song he is performing in his studio segment, in April of 1952.

The 45 (with the Capitol "O.C." or Optional Center) that is being held at the 27:15 mark is "Artistry in Rhythm" by Stan Kenton, Capitol F1636. The 1600 series (through 1699), which started in 1951, was Capitol's first reissue series. (The first 58 releases in the 1600 series were announced in the June 30, 1951 edition of Billboard, as part of the weekly full-page "Capitol Buyer's Guide" ad under "New Releases on Capitol.") It was replaced by the 6000 "Star Line" series when Capitol ran out of numbers in the 1600s.

13. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I could swear I've seen that before years ago. I guess anything is possible.

The head in the press is mildly disturbing.

14. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Thanks. I'm not familiar with the other guys and want to read up on 'em.

15. Hey Steve...have you posted this YouTube link on your Facebook page yet??? You've got friends and followers THERE who'd love this stuff...LIKE ME!!!:winkgrin:

16. Steve Hoffman

Alison (Vintage Los Angeles) gets twitchy when I post her stuff. I'll ask her..

lukejosephchung likes this.
  17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'll have to watch this tonight.

18. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Wasn't that what happened to the "Phantom Of The Paradise"?

19. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Left to right, I think it's Dave Dexter, jr., Voyle Gilmore, Lee Gillette, and, I think, Bill Miller (not the pianist). Corrections welcome! I think that Ken Nelson is shown in the scene that follows, with the C&W singer performing and Ken in the booth, explaining how the mixing console works.

coleman likes this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

Thank you, Matt, been a while since I've watched the thing. You're right. Tremendous Music History in that quirky little movie. I don't think they realized it at the time.

MLutthans likes this.
  21. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Fascinating and entertaining! Thanks!

"All these materials are mixed much more carefully than the average housewife mixes her cake." :laugh:

DLant likes this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

Pre-vinyl recipe..

23. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Too bad we can't "like" an entire thread!

lukejosephchung and DLant like this.
  24. thorbs

thorbs Active Member

Great Stuff! Thanks for posting Steve and thank Alison for us too.

Makes me think that even $30 records now days may be a good buy with all those steps involved, but $0.85 then was a lot.

Grant likes this.
  25. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Yeah, it's amazing how much simpler that step became. Probably wasn't long after that video, either if this 1956 RCA video is anything to go by:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.