SH Spotlight "Wanna Buy A Record?" movie with Mel Blanc at Capitol Studios, how records are recorded & pressed..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Have the promotional 50th anniversary promotional book

Just what is Bob spraying on the lacquer at 11:44? I have a couple of lacquers that have a film on it,that I never dared clean.

Did they actually issue that 5 CD Capitol Tower set as a real promotional item?Anybody own one?Seen all the other CDs.

2. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

This GREAT, I've never seen it. Blanc and Co. were so incredibly creative, it's astounding. Love seeing how things were back in the heyday. Thank you Steve! One thing puzzled me..dog records?

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Likely a little jab at RCA Victor???? Capitol was housed in the same building as Wallich's Music City, where that is filmed. RCA (competition) was literally across the street!

4. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

That occurred to me too. Pretty funny. And, I want a copy of Bachdakorvich's Sinatra for Fluglehorns! :D

MLutthans likes this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It's called "No-Noise." ;)

6. EasterEverywhere

The last couple minutes are the stuff of nightmares though.

amcaudio likes this.
  7. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Amazing videos. Also amazing, the lack of protective gear and gloves, or even gloves to protect the product.

And can we say "carpal tunnel", anyone? Can you imagine trimming the excess with a shoe knife every 22 seconds, as in that Capitol film? Wow.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. EasterEverywhere

Nobody knew what carpal tunnel was in 1951.

9. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

I can't get over how cool it is to see the control room back then. Just look at it and it's a case of 'less is more'. Those guys were nothing else but masters with the gorgeous sounds they produced.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I was in Amoeba Hollywood last weekend and came across a sealed mono copy of Perry Como's The Scene Changes on sale for a whopping $1.99. What made me buy it was the original Wallich's sticker on the back. The price was $2.99 circa 1966!!!! I tried to take a pic to share with you but it was too small-print to show up on the picture.

coleman likes this.
  11. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

F1682 could well have been 1954; the last 19 releases (at most) in the 1600 series bore music publisher, rights society, and running time info above the catalogue number - things which were definitely not on F1600 through F1680 - and Capitol began adding all this extra info to 45's starting around Fall 1953. (78's, O.T.O.H., had this additional info from the start, however.) So yes, F1682 was indeed after F2140.

12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Has this video been mentioned before?

The 45 being pressed/trimmed at the end is "The Man Upstairs" by Kay Starr, F2769 (B-side), 1954.

.crystalised. likes this.
  13. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

It also looks like the pressing plant shown in the clip was the San Fernando Road plant in Los Angeles; the label variant looks West Coast, with the typesetting from Bert-Co. The 2-pitch lead-outs shown in this clip was Capitol's M.O. on both coasts for 45 lacquer cutting through the end of 1955, after which they switched to 4-pitch. Have to dig the "master" Scully which was evidently the 1950 variant that led up to their later Model 601. (Looks like the "slave" would have been an earlier 501.)

BuddhaBob likes this.
  14. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Way cool film! Funny and informative!

15. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    MLutthans likes this.
  16. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

bump!
    just found this, wow! awesome.

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Thanks to your bump, I just re-watched this. Fantastic! The "red knob" is the master volume control on the console BTW. Most of this is STILL how records are made, hard to believe as that is....

I hope you all enjoyed this. Billy May and Mel Blanc worked together on all the Capitol kiddie records that feature Bugs, Daffy, etc. Very good friends..

18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

yeah I might be a bit slow on finding some of this, but I youtubed and came straight here, and found the thread. Everyone needs to watch
    this. ah! thankyou for the 'red knob' answer, I was waiting for something that didn't happen about it. Classic film here.
    Everyone please watch.

19. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Loved the ashtray sitting on the tape deck. Things were different

20. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

That's interesting that they used to play the metal mothers for quality control - what is the sound like on those? Close to what we get on a vinyl record or vastly superior?

21. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

It most certainly is a treasure. The footage and explanations on the creation of a vinyl record is essential viewing!

Thanks for posting, gracious host!

22. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

And this is how it all began...

23. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident

Does anyone know who was the engineer for the Wakely session? At 12:58, Nelson identifies him, but I can't quite make out what he's saying (something like "the engineer who is Carl Dunne next here"?) ...

.crystalised. likes this.
  24. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

All he says is, "the engineer, who is called the mixer."

Ridin'High likes this.
  25. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident

Aye, I guess my ears were being delusionally optimistic! Of course, now that you have deciphered it for me, I can indeed hear that that's what he's saying. Thank you; much appreciated.

I have one additional question: does anyone recognize or know the name of the singing quartet who is interpreting "Lil' Liza Jane," around 16:10?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.