Want To Connect 2 Receivers to a Single Pair of Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bubba-ho-tep, Dec 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well Thread Starter

2. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

SandAndGlass and wownflutter like this.
  3. bubba-ho-tep

This seems to be exactly what I need but the reviews I’m reading aren’t glowing. It appears that there are issues with the wire connectors. I may give this a shot, though, if nothing else appears on my radar.

4. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

I agree they appear a bit wonky but probably not a big deal once connected. Crutchfield rates 4/5; Amazon 3/5. I been using an older Russound model amplifier switcher which has served me well over the last 5+ years. According to the product info, it's designed so that cross connection between the amplifiers is impossible which probably holds true for this unit.

[​IMG]

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  5. bubba-ho-tep

Thanks for this! Do you know if there is any audible degradation in the SQ when using this? The speaker pair that I plan on connecting this to also serves as the front pair for my 5.1 system.

Sorry for being pesky. I just want to make sure that all my ducks are in a row before I pull the trigger on this....

6. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Are you using the same speakers for both amps? You could also look into the Decware Switch Box, it's pretty flexible and can be used in a lot of ways.

waaguirr likes this.
  7. Dane Argentini

Dane Argentini Forum Resident

quicksrt likes this.
  8. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident

62caddy and bubba-ho-tep like this.
  9. bubba-ho-tep

10. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

None whatsoever.

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Following! :righton:

12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

13. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Dennis Metz

I’m assuming that this unit does accept banana plugs. Is this correct?:cheers:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Actually, this is an excellent amp/speaker selector. It is the model that I use for the same purpose. It is sitting to the immediate right of the TV, on top of the Polk LSiM707 tower speaker.

[​IMG]

My front mains used to be all solid state. I used the A/B switch to switch between the two different pairs of tower speakers, that I like to keep on either side of the TV, with the Emotiva XPA-2 (first generation) which is a 250-Watt power amp.

Later, I connected the Zu, Omen Definitions to a dedicated PrimaLuna Prologue IV power amplifier.

Then, when I started using the Line Magnetic 518iA integrated amplifier, I picked up an Electrocompaniet solid state amplifier and used the A/B switch to switch between SS during the day and the 518iA (which uses 845 power tubes) for evening listening.

The reviews that you are reading are completely flawed.

This is a very intelligently built unit and a well constructed unit, with a quality push button switch and a heavy steel case.

[​IMG]

There is no problems with the connectors. In fact, the connectors are of very high quality and well thought out.

I couldn't find a photo of this exact unit, but I found a similar Russound unit. This is the rear of the switchbox.

[​IMG]

The connectors are on three removable strips, as you can either connect two amps to a single pair of speakers or the other way around.

With this photo, I am only concerning my comments on the connectors, the other parts of the rear of the pictured switch box are not on the 2.2.

You pull out a two pair connector strip and using a small screwdriver, back out the speaker wire retaining screws at the top of the connector strip.

You insert the wires into the connector, one at a time and then, after you insert each wire, you tighten down the connector retaining screw that hold the wire firmly in place.

After you have done this with each of the three connector strips, you inset each of the strips into the unit.

This is so much easier than having all of the connectors permanently attached to the switch box and trying to work with it with all of the wires attached at the same time.

There is a drawback to this approach, in that the connectors can pull out from the rear switch box. This does happen to me sometimes when the housekeeper is dusting and I notice that a channel is out.

But, in general, I have not had any issues with this problem and as you can see, there is the weight of three pairs of wires from the top of the switchbox to the floor. You can see thm hanging down the back of the tower speaker in the photo below.

[​IMG]

Also, I use 16-gauge RCA speaker wire that I purchase from Amazon in 100' spools for $20.

If you want to use thick 12-gauge "audiophile" speaker cable, you would have to first terminate it with a thin plug type connector that would fit into the connector strip.

I will note, that most of these A/B switches use those horrible spring type connectors, that I refuse to use.

I did do my research before making a purchasing decision and 62caddy's recommendation was a good one.

I would not use any other A/B speaker/amp switch box than the Russound.

The Dynavox does not show a photo of the rear, so I could not comment on its connectors. With either the Dynavox or the Russound, they do need to show photos of the rear of the unit. The Russound does need to show the unplugged connector strip, so that people can see how the connections are made.

The Decware unit is not intended for a speaker/amp switch box, but as a a switch box to switch between different sources and amps/integrated's and preamps, using RCA interconnect cables.

FWIW, I own three Decware amplifier's and consider the products to be of the highest quality, it is just this product the a case of being the right tool for the wrong job.

The SoundAndVision unit does appear to be a well constructed unit and does feature standard banana jack connectors in the rear, which I like.

[​IMG]

It is a good recommendation and should serve your needs perfectly.

I did want to clear up what I viewed as a few misconceptions.

I would buy one of those myself as an alternative to the Russound.

One comment that I will make, with regard to the Russound, is when I use the A/B push button switch, the is no audible "pop" in the speakers when switching between components.

It is absolutely quiet when switching.

But, I really do like the banana connectors. This makes everything standard between all of my amps and speakers.

waaguirr and 62caddy like this.
  16. SandAndGlass

It definitely does appear that it does.

17. bubba-ho-tep

Great post! Thanks. The main reason that I went with the TC 7220 was the banana plug connectors. It was definitely a toss-up between the Russound and the 7220, though.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    SandAndGlass and Dennis Metz like this.
  18. Dennis Metz

I popped for one on Amazon CA. It should arrive by Friday :righton::cheers:

19. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This box made me go mad I tell ya...in a good way.

I have the B amp selector set up to the Yamaha which has three phono inputs.

The A amp selector is the easiest to pull the banana plugs out so now I have an option of using a third amp. It’s a Sansui dedicated to a reel to reel and another turntable strictly for quad records, out of the picture. The A amp selector also is used for the pictured A/V amp.

My main speakers are set up on Speaker A.

What I did with speaker B though - for the sansui quad reciever, I have Two pairs of polk satellite speakers for a balanced quad effect. Two polks on speaker B for the fronts, and two polks attached to the Sanui quad rear in back.

I do have the rear polks setup for surround sound on the A/V. I just ran a dedicated cable to each speaker fro the A/V and just swap out the banana plugs on the rear surrounds between A/V and Sausui Quad RxR and CD/4, QS, SQ, Direct. Gotta love banana plugs.

I did mention something about being mad didn’t I. :) I’ll just blame it on this forum.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    waaguirr and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. SandAndGlass

If I had know about the 7220, I probably would have bought it also, and for the same reason. At the time, every A/B unit I could find had those miserable spring connectors, which I refused to use.

Actually, the Russound is the second A/B speaker-amp connector box that I have used. The first one was from Outdoor Speaker Depot.

ATM7 Automatic Speaker Selector 7 Zone w/ Remote Control IR Code
    [​IMG]
    Notice the banana connectors on the back, which was the key consideration in buying this unit.

Back in the beginning days of the audio room (which was started from scratch, back in 2011), I had a pair of $200/each Polk Monitor 70 Series II tower speakers as front mains.

Later, I managed to find some $1,500/pair Klipsch Icon WF-35 tower speakers on closeout for $600/pair, and bought them with the intention of using them in the bedroom.

[​IMG]

When I received them, I did not have any room in the bedroom. Besides that, I wanted to have a chance of auditioning them in the main room.

I was originally powering them with the Peachtree Nova. I wanted to compare the two different pairs of speakers, so I was plugging and unplugging them in, back and forth.

The OSD selector box had a remote control which made the evaluating easier. In addition, it addressed impedance issues and allowed both pairs of speakers to be operated from the amp, at the same time.

I did realize that I was expecting a bit too much out of the small Peachtree integrated, which led me to purchase the Emotiva XPA-2, (generation one), which is rated at 250-Watts into 8-Ohms and 400-Watts into a 4-Ohm load.

I still kept the Peachtree as the system source controller, DAC and class "A" preamp.

What I discovered from the OSD switch box, was that the best sound was using both these speakers at the same time, connected in parallel, as one pair complemented the other pair perfectly.

Once I came to that conclusion, I removed the OSD unit from the system and just kept the Polk and the Klipsch speakers connected together in parallel as the front main speakers.

[​IMG]

After doing some upgrades on my front mains, I ended up using the WF-35's as rear main speakers (in the corner), replacing the Polk Monitor 60's (on the floor), as rear speakers for both 2-channel stereo and home theater.

[​IMG]

I when I decided to try some different pairs of front mains, I bought the small Russound unit to use to switch between them.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Thanks I'll note this box, as I want to bring back an old 70s Sansui receiver into the fold for vinyl playback. But keep speakers and AVR with 5.1

waaguirr likes this.
  22. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Dennis Metz

Hooked mine up today an it’s perfect :edthumbs::cheers:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Which did you get Dennis, several are mentioned, it's confusing I think, maybe.

25. Dennis Metz

The TC7220

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.