Want to discuss the original "Cape Fear", from 1962?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ParloFax, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

While I didn't like Scorsese's "Fear", I do respect that it tried to do something different with the material.

Van Sant's "Psycho" was a literal remake, which made it pointless as anything other than some weird experiment.

If Van Sant had done his "Psycho" as some microbudget lark, it wouldn't have gotten all the abuse. But it was a big studio movie and that invited the justly deserved criticism...

2. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I don't scare easily, Mitchum scares me here. I have no idea if the remake is good, I've never bothered to see it.

ParloFax likes this.
  3. sdelas

sdelas New Member

Hi and I remember seeing the 1962 Cape Fear at some point when I was growing up, but don't recall where? It would have been prior to 1978 when I was in my teens. Was this movie shown on TV stations across the country that aired old black and white movies or would it have been banned from TV during those days? May I ask what year you saw it as a kid? Thank you!

4. sdelas

sdelas New Member

What college showed it in film class?

5. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

University of South Florida. Loved that class.....read the book and then watched the movie....compare and contrast.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The original is class.

ParloFax likes this.
  7. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

I remember seeing it on black and white TV when I was a kid in the 60s, maybe the mid-60s but can't say which year.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.