Want to see my "New Old Stock" 1964 Packard Bell Round Tube Color TV?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Want to see my New Old Stock 1964 Packard Bell Round Tube Color TV?

Whee, it's neat.

Go here:

Scroll UP about eight posts and there is a photo of my set.

Totally cool, but totally pointless in the scheme of life.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    longdist01 likes this.
  2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Re: Want to see my New Old Stock 1964 Packard Bell Round Tube Color TV?

Cool! We didn't have a color TV until 8-10 years after that one was made. It was a Philco (Dad worked for Ford - Ford owned Philco - Every appliance was Philco).

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2021
    longdist01 likes this.
  3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Wow. Variac time is RIGHT! Betcha those caps go FOOM unless you go through it. A museum piece to be certain.

I keep getting the idea that your house is part museum, especially with your Macs and those cool cabinets! Great stuff Steve.

Another example that LA is a wonderful place where electronics seem to last 3-4 times as long, sitting.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Smaller pic for those on dial-up...same photo as described above...

Attached Files:

longdist01 likes this.
  5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Groovey / cool, Steve!

Watch "Zippy" if the Packard Bell starts to whisper "turn me on, man.... !".

longdist01 likes this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

7. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Steve--do you recall which Detroit store it came from? Interesting set, BTW! Does it have UHF? (I don't see a separate tuning knob for it.)

We didn't have color until around 1973 or so...give or take a few years. We got one of those Sony Trinitron sets. Even though the picture has gone soft, I think that old beast still works! Our first TV with UHF was a little black and white 13" MGA (Mitsubishi), from 1967, solid state yet. Ooooh, ahhh. Surprisingly it's never been in for repair, and still looks great after all these years.

8. Steve Hoffman

No, I don't know the name of the store. It closed in '65.

This set does indeed have uhf. Look at the tuning knob, the uhf knob is the smaller one right under it!

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I wonder if any of the youngsters here even know what UHF was? ;)

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

My Mom waxes rhapsodic about how it was a big deal when my Grandfather bought her one of the first TVs with UHF on their block so she could watch Detroit Red Wings games.

Regards,

11. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Steve,

My Dad, a retired Radio and TV Broadcast Engineer, would really get a kick out of this set.

I think that you should fire this baby up and watch Ed Sullivan!

Bob:)

12. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I'll second that; wow, what a beautiful machine. Nice to have the SH frog back, too:)

ED:cool:

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Congratulations Steve. I can't actually see a picture of the set though - AOLTV doesn't seem to like the AudioKarma site (I wonder why they call it that if it's a forum about TV's) - but I'm sure it's cool. An unused TV from 1964 - wow.

I miss the 1973 Philco TV/Stereo (with System IV) that I grew up with - hopefully one day I'll be able to track down another one :).

14. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Ultra High Fidelity, right?:D Dot Records' motto back in the day....:rolleyes:

ED:cool:

15. wes

wes Senior Member

That's really cool. 1964.............Yes, it sort of is a time machine being so brand new looking.............

I want one............

-Wes

16. Bob Lovely

UHF TV

Guys,

A quick story...

My Father, now 82 and retired, spent his career as a Broadcast Engineer from 1939 to 1985. He worked in Radio and then TV - exclusively UHF from 1953 through 1985. When he retired in 1985, he was honored by RCA with a beautiful plaque as being one of first 100 pioneers of UHF television in the U.S. Obviously, he is very proud of that plaque (displayed on the wall in his home) because he literally built by hand, along with his newly hired crew, one of the first UHF TV stations in the Midwest in 1953.

He tells stories of climbing a 600 foot tower at night by himself!:eek:

Just thought that I would share this here...

Bob

17. Steve Hoffman

Bob,

When I was a kid, UHF meant I could get shows from NET. One was a kid's show of a guy who was a giant. I think it came from Canada. Anyone remember it? The guy seemed like a nice giant.....I think he wore a cap with a feather in it.

18. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Sorry, I cannot be of assistance here. Because I grew up in a small market, all we had until the late 60's was the big three networks and was that it! My Father's station was an NBC affiliate.

Bob

19. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Steve,

For a real old time experience, hook up a DVD player and watch those Ed Sullivan or Avengers shows through them. You can buy an adapter(at Wal Mart, of all places)to hook the player up to a TV that old.

It's neat; reminds me of my grandparent's Philco! :thumbsup:

20. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Well Steve, if you're going to fire it up, I think you should have VCR hooked up to it, just in case you turn it on and start receiving color eps of the NBC primetime "Price is Right", or Johnny Carson's first "Tonight Show"...

[/TZ mode on/]
    "Submitted for your approval..."
    [/TZ mode off/]

:)

-Kevin

[Oh alright-- I **know** the set's not that old, but you get the idea...]

21. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

On a more serious note... in spite of having watched a **lot ** of vintage video, I haven't seen many operational round-tube sets....

I know the colors (at least on the RCA's) are supposed to have no parallel, but what's the geometric distortion like, viewing-wise??

-Kevin

22. Steve Hoffman

It's just like cutting out a rounded outline and putting it up against your TV set.

Remember, in the old days, there was never anything important going on in the bottom or top corners of the screen.

It's funny watching CNN or some of those graphics oriented channels. Most of the stuff is cut off down at the bottom (a relief).

Another interesting thing about the old color 21" sets, is that they don't have the modern set's ability to "fix" bad lightning and stuff like that. Watching the news on an old set is funny, because every time a camera is switched or changes, you can see that some of the shots are "off" lighting wise. The old sets just show it like it is, without mercy.

The sound is great as well; vacuum tube TV sound!

I love those old color sets. Our family could never afford one of them, and I always wanted one. I spent many hours at the store, watching ANYTHING in color, even Felix The Cat cartoons!

So, 30 tubes and Technicolor picture=A happy Steve.

Go here and scroll down the pages of photos. Many of them are screen grabs. You can see what shape the image is on some of the old color sets:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181

23. Steve it was "The Friendly Giant", weekeday mornings in Canada, on the CBC TV network. "Friendly" was Robert Homme. The Friendly Giant ran on CBC TV for 28 years, from September 1958 until March 1985, then continued in reruns. It was first aired in Mr. Homme's native Wisconsin as an educational TV show.

BTW, his two puppet characters were Rusty, and Jerome the giraffe, voiced and puppeteered by Rod Coneybeare who once called Robert Homme probably the greatest children's performer in Canada.

Our equivalent of Fred Rogers, perhaps. :)

Mr. Homme passed away three years ago in 2000, at the age of 81, of cancer. :(

Attached Files:

24. Steve Hoffman

That is it. Wow.

THANKS!!!!!!!

25. Your welcome. I grew up with The Friendly Giant. The show started when I was 2 years old and ran well into my radio days, after I had finished university, and then continued in re-runs on the CBC, as previously mentioned. The CBC should put a best of package together for DVD release. That would be nice. :)

Here is a link to the CBC Museum where you can watch a clip of the Friendly Giant. I don't think it's working at the moment. You may want to bookmark iit and try later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.