Wanted! LIVE! LInda Ronstadt Concert Recordings; CD/DVD's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paperback Writer, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paperback Writer

Paperback Writer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Based on this song- I really have to listen more closely to,her latter day discography!

From the Winter Light album, it's Linda singing this classic from Pet Sounds and Brian Wilson.

If you like either, you have to hear this!

If you like both of them- and haven't heard this , yet - click below for musical heaven.

Videos

2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely not perfect, but the Sausalito 1973 performance is quite enjoyable for that particular career period. The L.A. 1976 performance is also good for what it is and that was recorded at the Universal Amphitheatre. I don't understand Linda's lack of available live archival recordings, especially when you consider that performing live was one of her big strengths and she always had top players in the band. So many other classic artists have had numerous live archival releases and yet we're still waiting for Linda to be given the same level of respect. What a crime, all of us here should be organizing protests on the streets.

3. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I taped this (VHS) when it ran, and surprised it never turned up on video or audio. It was a great show.

Paperback Writer and melstapler like this.
  4. Michael Manning

Michael Manning Forum Resident

My friend Red Lane wrote the “Ride This Train” segments with Merle Travis. Red’s wife Penny was the makeup artist for the show. Red told me this story several times. If you want to see Red’s wife Penny tell the story, it is on the 2 DVD Best of the Johnny Cash TV Show set. Amazon.com: The Johnny Cash Show: The Best of Johnny Cash 1969-1971: Johnny Cash, Michael B Borofsky, Kris Kristofferson, Lou Robbin, John Carter Cash: Movies & TV

melstapler and Paperback Writer like this.
  5. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  6. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

7. Paperback Writer

Is this from that particular show?

melstapler likes this.
  8. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Paperback Writer and melstapler like this.
  9. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Moving on slowly from the cover art and video posted here ... there are some very fine Linda live performances on these two cds - Johnny Cash Presents A Concert Behind Prison Walls EAGCD269 and The Seldom Scene 15th Anniversary Celebration Live At The Kennedy Center SH-CD-2202.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Judging from the lack of mention of her rock albums/years in her book, she was either play acting the whole time (exaggerating, but you get the drift) or she hated her performances, like Steely Dan in the 70's. She certainly has no interest in releasing anything now. I'm guessing her heart was just not into Rock and Roll and she would have been happy singing country-ish ballads her whole life (heart Like a Wheel, Mendocino, White R&B, etc)

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Thanks, but I'm not buying a dvd just to make sure the story has been debunked. I'm moving on.

budwhite and Paperback Writer like this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I don't think the Fillmore existed in 1975, I have that boot to this day. The You're No Good is the highlight

13. Paperback Writer

14. Paperback Writer

I just noticed the 40th Anniversary version of Simple Dreams has these bonus cuts, LIVE!

It's So Easy

Blue Bayou

Poor Poor Pitiful Me[/QUOTE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just noticed something interesting about the above referenced Simple Dreams 40th Anniversary release with the theee live tracks- it's not to,be released until 9-15-2017 , "Specially remastered for ITunes."

Wonder if some things are in the works regarding her entire catalogue ?

15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I'd love the original version of Get Closer. But since the album isn't even mentioned in the book, I'm guessing she wants no parts of it.

16. Paperback Writer

This song is breathtaking!

Enjoy Linda with Brian Wilson providing full Beach Boy harmonies!

Great read, too

[​IMG]
    3:32

Adios ~ Linda Ronstadt

Great Collaborations – Linda Ronstadt and Brian Wilson
    Posted by thebestmusicyouhaveneverheard on November 24, 2013
    Posted in: Collaborations, Rock History. Tagged: Brian Wilson, Jimmy Webb, Linda Ronstadt. 4 Comments
    [​IMG]

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I was reading Simple Dreams by Linda Ronstadt. I have enjoyed the book and the behind the scenes stories that it contains. A great example of those stories is Linda’s description of working with Brian Wilson who I think is one of the great musical geniuses of our generation. Like all geniuses, Brian is a little eccentric and Linda captures that perfectly in the following story extracted from Simple Dreams……

When Peter Asher and I began to record the Cry Like a Rainbow album, our best collaboration, in my opinion. Jimmy (Webb) wrote an orchestral arrangement for me of his wistful song “Adios,” with Brian Wilson singing the complex backing harmonies. I had known Brian Wilson briefly in my Troubadour days, when he was separated for a time from his first wife. He was always sweet and friendly, and never pressed any romantic agenda. Several times I discovered him at my back door, studying a little pile of coins he held in his hand, which he said was ten or fifteen cents shy of the price for a bottle of grape juice. He said it was important for him to drink grape juice in order to solve some health problem that was troubling him. I would provide the remaining ten or fifteen cents, and we would climb into his huge convertible with the top always down, the back stuffed with a sizable accumulation of Brian’s dirty laundry. As a bachelor, he seemed to have difficulty coping with domestic arrangements, so I would suggest a trip to the Laundromat, where we would fill an entire row of machines. (I had a lot of quarters.) Afterward we would sit in my living room, drink the grape juice, and listen to my small collection of Phil Spector records. Brian really liked Phil Spector.

In the studio, under Brian’s direction, we recorded his harmony parts for “Adios” with five separate tracks of unison singing on each of the three parts, fifteen vocal tracks in all. He didn’t seem concerned if some of the tracks veered slightly out of tune, but took advantage of the slight “chorused” effect it created when he came back into the control room to mix the harmony tracks into the creamy vocal smoothness instantly recognizable as the Beach Boys.

Brian was making up the harmonies as he went along, but sometimes, when he was having difficulty figuring out a complicated section, he would scold himself and say that he needed to work for a time at the piano. However, when he sat down at the piano, he never played any part of “Adios,” but instead would play a boogie-woogie song, very loud in a different key. After a few minutes of this he would go back to the microphone and sing the parts perfectly, without a trace of hesitation.

Let’s listen to the results of that collaboration……

A great Jimmy Webb song, a beautiful vocal by Linda, and unbelievable harmonies from Brian…..it doesn’t get any better than this! If you are a Linda fan I encourage you to pickup Simple Dreams, you will really enjoy it.

Advertisements

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. Paperback Writer

HotHere, budwhite and Tjazz like this.
  18. Yeah the Fillmore West on Market@ Van Ness was closed 4 years earlier. The refurbished original Fillmore Auditorium (Geary and Fillmore) was refurbished and reopened way later in the early 90s I believe.

Paperback Writer and chacha like this.
  19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Hall Cat and Paperback Writer like this.
  20. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

I think that Linda enjoyed her early years through rock period at the time she was doing them, but decided she didn't in retrospect.

Grand_Ennui and Paperback Writer like this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

As early as 1973, Linda was telling a small audience how much she disliked playing rock shows due to the size of the amps, the size of the crowd and the fact that so many in the crowd were inattentive.

Paperback Writer and budwhite like this.
  22. I would be all in for a live box set of some kind. I don't remember ever seeing an official live release - only bootlegs.

Uncle Miles and Paperback Writer like this.
  23. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I may be wrong about this, but I take that to mean she didn't like the atmosphere/loudness of doing the rock shows themselves, but I don't take that to mean she didn't like recording rock records or the rock records she recorded.

24. Paperback Writer

budwhite and Grand_Ennui like this.
  25. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

What show was that? She seemed to be having a good time in the shows that I've heard from that period. She could have easily had a Joan Baez, Judy Collins type career if she was unhappy with the country rock->rock career she chose to have. I don't think anyone made Linda Ronstadt do anything she didn't want to do. She's a very strong willed person, from what I can tell.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Grand_Ennui and Paperback Writer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.