Wanting a change from my Pioneer SX-780. 70's Marantz or maybe sansui

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 926am, Mar 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

Well, they have practically nothing at “30 Hz” and lower (a “cutoff” from 90 Hz)
    CMT-340 SE Mini-Tower Loudspeaker
    (therefore, a good sub is needed)

, but I don’t think it could have any link with ''harsh'' or ''sterile'' sound with your Pioneer.

Then, according to your words, you attribute the fact that “the Pioneer but can at times sound a little ''harsh'' or ''sterile''” to the Pioneer.

Then, what’s the money you are ready to spend on a new amp? Or you decisively wish a new RECEIVER (i.e. a “tuner+amp” combo)?

2. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

I know it's blaspemy, but I agree wholeheartedly. I have one that I got from the original owner. Bench tested, cleaned, and tuned up. It sits in a rack with a lot of other vintage gear I've collected. I can't stand the sound, and even running 6 ohm speakers, the thing runs out of gas and is left gasping for breath.

McLover likes this.
  3. 926am

926am Senior Member Thread Starter

I was hoping to stay around 1000. Can go as high as 1500.

4. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

And what about my question “Or you decisively wish a new RECEIVER (i.e. a “tuner+amp” combo)?”?

5. 926am

No, it does not need to be a receiver.

6. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

Well, then, if you don’t decisively wish various “Internet” and other “digital” features, there’s a very high level technical parameters modern integrated amp for about (or maybe somewhere even less) $1000: “Yamaha A-S801”.

Very good nominal power;
    very low THDs;
    very high damping factor;
    output for sub, optical and coaxial inputs;
    “MM” phono;
    working with “4 Ohms” speakers (two pairs “8 Ohms” “in parallel”).

Its “Owner’s Manual” is on “Yamaha” site:
    A-S801 - Downloads - Yamaha - United States

7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Rega Brio-R is only $995 and brand new. For just around $1500, you can also add the Rega Elex-R ($1795) and Rogue Audio Sphinx ($1495). All of these include excellent phono stages and remote control. You can even get the Rogue Sphinx without remote for $1395. That's entirely designed and made in the USA, and also has a 3 year warranty. Check out the reviews on any of these, but more importantly you should seek to find a local dealer and have a serious listen.
    -Bill

926am likes this.
  8. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Take a walk on the wild side. Dump solid-state and go with a Fisher 400 tube receiver for $500. 30 watts per channel will drive your speakers. Send out Fisher 400 to a tech for power supply rebuild & specify all coupling caps to be replaced with Russian K40Y-9- cost about $500. Fisher even sounds good with cheap Sovtek 12AX7LPS in phase inverters ($15 ea), dirt cheap Chinese 12AX7B in preamp ($8 ea) & use Westinghouse short plate 12AX7 in phono (NOS about $35 each).

Dennis0675 likes this.
  9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It's not blasphemy from me either. I agree in every way about your appraisal of the Marantz 2270. One was brought over to my house for a comparison to my Sansui 4000, the fellow heard my Sansui once, he sold his 2270, made money, and it was serviced to specification. He still has the Sansui he replaced his Marantz with. And uses it every day. He drives Dynaco A 25 speakers with his also, and owns a Technics SL 1500 with a Shure M 75 ED.

10. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

Is this “brio-manual-multilingual.pdf”
    on:
    http://www.rega.co.uk/uploads/brio-manual-multilingual.pdf
    or this:
    Rega Brio-R User Manual (Page 11 of 17)
    really the “User Manual” for the amp cited in this post? Or not?

If yes, a “User Manual” totally HIDING the amp’s THD? At no output power / measuring frequency band. Making it impossible to estimate one of the two decisive parameters determining “sound clarity” potential of an amplifier.

To say nothing of nominal output power and commutation facilities compared to the amp, of practically the same price, I cited above…

11. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Skip the Eight Deluxe, and hope you score a late model Eight with the speaker relay.

The eight deluxe didn’t have as solid of a build. Not worth the tiny bit extra wattage.

I also made custom jumpers for my Eight. Which can be only used in the C speaker selection. Otherwise the Preamp and amp are connected internally.
    Solid silver connects. Sweetened up the highs on a nice warm amp.

926am likes this.
  12. yohalfprice

yohalfprice Forum Resident

I used to run an SX-980 but replaced it with a Marantz 2285 that I found locally from the original owner for $300. It was and is in perfect running order. That model is quite rare but it is a significant improvement to my ears.

13. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

You know what though. I found that after the Eight, the B&K sound was just such an improvement.
    It wasn't revolutionary. As in a new sound at all. In fact, I found the sound to be a improved version of the Sansui sound I was accustomed to.

While I did have their monoblocks, the channel separation was fantastic. The lows, mids, and highs were all beefed up, remaining warm and extremely pleasant. I have doubts that I would return to a all in one again. Separates felt like I could get that vintage sound, yet dial it in to exactly what I wanted to hear.

Depending on a multitude of other factors, what could start as a relaxed warm sound, could push through into full and detailed, yet refined.

It's like I had more Eight. The sounds were that similar. Yet the handling on the B&K was rock solid.
    Keep in mind I'm fully aware this happens in any 50 to 200 watt jump. Some times that sound can turn clinical or sterile. It can change to boomy, or even cold.
    The sound was just too similar to the Sansui. It was a very easy adjustment.

Somehow, like any vintage product, the B&K's resale value is rising. However audio dealers like to describe their products as "risky". No support from B&K, elusive and somewhat hard to find build designs. But they are really classic designs, very straight forward. Any competent tech should be able to work on them.
    In fact, many people have found that they have super charged their sound through upgrades and repairs. Take that as you will.

B&K Pro-5 Pre Amp and ST-140 Power Amp | Stereo Systems & Home Theatre | City of Toronto | Kijiji

This is the classic combo. Definitely an upgrade to the Pioneer. All for under $700, that's with shipping.
    This era is getting to the point that they're nearing parts replacement, but as the tanks they are, they're likely not too far off from original specs.

Personally I would go for one of their more modern outings, based on their lack of potential repair needs.
    Who am I kidding? I'd buy a set of M200's in a heartbeat if they were priced right...

Still. Their Reference 200.5 and 200.7 are fantastic options. I've seen 200.5's go for $500. The 200.7 sometimes for $700-800.

Mate it with a Pro-10, Pro-10MC for another $150-$300, you're good to go.
    I had mine with a Acurus L-10, for the Poor man's luxury system. You get a good Aragon, the right speaker pairing, and room of course, you'll be wondering why people spend 5, 10, 20k on systems. Fully upgrade both amp and preamp with revisions, and you won't have to spend a dime again.
    Unless it's to get your system back, after foolishly looking for more. ;)

B&K Reference 7250 II | Saturday Audio Exchange

B&K Reference 125.2 Stereo Power amplifier - Power Amplifiers

If you, wait, and go craigslist, they're good and cheap. You can easily bargain.

B&k ref125 amp

14. 926am

Thanks. That's just what I did. 1972 Eight.

15. resonated

resonated Forum Resident

Consider a McIntosh Mac 1700 or 1900 receiver. These are early solid state models that date from around the same time as your Pioneer or comprable Marantz/Sansui receiver. They aren't as well known but trust me they'll blow away most models by the brands mentioned and they can be found for south of a grand in good working condition. They're American-made, hand-built with point-to-point wiring and boy do they sound good. I've been using a Mac 1700 for a few years and it's undoubtedly the most transparent component in my mid-fi, all-vintage setup. I know it's clichéd to say but it sounds like the music, with no colorations whatsoever. Give one a listen if you can.

926am likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.