Wanting to use my Spin-Clean Washer fluid MKII with another RCM

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by husafreak, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to! Thread Starter

I gave away my Spin-Clean when I bought a VPI HW-16.5. But I still have a 32 oz. bottle of their record cleaning fluid. In that machine you added a capful of the fluid to the tub of water. Could someone tell me how much water the Spin-Clean tub holds so I can figure out the ratio? I want to dilute the fluid and use it with my HW-16.5. Thanks

2. MDM

MDM New Member

I have the same question - did you get an answer?

3. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Holds about 24 ounces now you can calculate

4. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

It isnt the same kind of fluid. The spin clean fluid has a flocculant which sinks particles (which is how the spin clean works, by sinking the dirt in the tub so you dont keep putting dirt on different records). Normal cleaners suspend the dirt in the liquid, so when you rinse or vacuum, it goes away. This is why you can only use the spin clean fluid in the spin clean and not use other cleaners, and vice versa.

Rolltide, HiFi Guy and Spsesq like this.
  5. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident

Side question: if you only wash 4 or 5 records at a time and always toss out the water when done, do you even need the Spin Clean fluid?

6. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Yes, it is the chemical makeup of the fluid that cleans your records. I always try to batch 10-15 records that I intend to listen to, wash them and toss the liquid. I vaguely remember reading that there is a useful life cycle for the fluid so you can reuse it.

ChuckyBuck likes this.
  7. Scott McBride

Scott McBride Forum Resident

I've been using a SpinClean for awhile. I don't think I'm getting very good results. In fact, I feel like I'm making new records sound worse. I'm hearing too much noise in playback for what should be a very clean record. I suspect this issue is coming about in my drying process. I'm using aftermarket micro-fiber towels on the records I've cleaned. I make several circular swipes around the record to dry it and then I set it in a rack to air dry before putting it in a new sleeve. Any thoughts???

8. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident

One of the reasons I was considering doing away with the spin clean fluid is that I often see a film on the records after they dry. Also, with thicker records a mark is left sometimes from where I slide the record in. I'm learning to prefer thin records.

Rolltide likes this.
  9. robertawillisjr

I always rinse my records after cleaning, pat dry excess fluid with a really good microfiber clothe then air dry. Distilled water.

10. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall Forum Resident

I think Spin Clean's suggestion is 40 LP's per tank. I do 40 to 50 as I'm cheap - my Dad was a Scotsman.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  11. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

Some have been known to filter the fluid in a coffee filter and go for double... though I wouldn't do that...

12. Scott McBride

May I ask you to detail the rinsing process?

13. robertawillisjr

I just wet the surface of the LP with distilled water while laying it flat and then let it roll off while lifting the LP. I try to use enough to rinse surface since distilled water is not free. I probably use about a half of a gallon or so for 10 - 15 LPs. Nothing fancy but I do take care to ensure that all microfiber cloths are clean.

14. Scott McBride

Thanks. So clean and fairly noise-free after this process for you?

15. robertawillisjr

Yes. My LPs are in good condition but the newest is 35 years old so for some of them noise-free is relative. :)

16. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

When I first started using my Spin Clean before going down the RCM route later I had similar issues with crackle on records I’d cleaned. In my case, there were two issues at play - first only use the prescribed amount of fluid, anything more causes extra crackles that disappear after a few plays -and- secondly switching from normal distilled water to pharmacy grade water used for dialysis machines and the like - that made the single greatest difference.

Also, resleeve in new sleeves after cleaning records and don’t play anything that hasn’t completely dried out. For the money it’s great and makes a difference on 80% of records. RCM got me another 15% of the way there and the balance there’s just no hope for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.