War On Drugs new album and release date announced!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

[​IMG]

My "Coke bottle" pressing sounds really good. I'm listening via a Pro-Ject Debut III with the ortofon 2m Blue cart.

2. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

If you mean disc 2? Pretty much the same, no real issues of noises or pops etc. I still think it sounds a bit thin overall and I'm definitely getting a real digital feel from the whole thing - not that I was expecting anything else. I just feel that Lost In The Dream had a bit more depth and warmth to it....but it's just a personal opinion. I think there are some grea songs on it.

3. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Seriously? Disappointed? They gave it an 8.7! I haven't been able to go back through all of their "Best New Music" reviews for 2017 yet, but I so far I've only found two others that high!

4. chodad

chodad Hodad

Is it as good as "Lost In A Dream"? Just played that album ... love it.

5. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Just started my black EU vinyl. Pressed at MPO. Flawless pressing so far. Sounds pretty compressed though, especially the first track.
    Lost in the Dream outtakes anyone?

6. jlimburg

jlimburg Forum Resident

couple listens in and this one might be my new AOTY

7. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

On first listen, I liked it better than than Lost in a Dream. And I love Lost in a Dream.

azjvm05 likes this.
  8. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Lost in the Dream got me through a hard time in 2014. So there's emotional attachment to that album. But I think A Deeper Understanding is far superior.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  9. Hi Five

Hi Five Forum Resident

What's the pressing like? LitD was off centre for me. Where are they pressed? I'm in the UK.

10. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Great album, certainly a contender for AOTY for me. War On Drugs has to be in the conversation for best American band going right now.

CCrider92, DHamilton and lesterbangs like this.
  11. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

I would say AT LEAST as good

12. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

I was a little concerned about the colored vinyl when I opened it. Pleasantly surprised so far. I didn't even bother to spin clean it first.

My first thought is "best album Bob Dylan never released in the 80's"

Dbstay and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  13. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

great album, but like the last one it fizzles out a bit at the end. first three songs sound like an amalgam of springsteen, dylan, ELO and fleetwood mac. definitely worth picking up.

14. ECK

ECK Forum Resident

I absolutely love this record. I absolutely love Lost in the Dream. I think that this one is the better LP, but one of the things I love most about WoD is the disintegration of hardline ideas re: "albums." Even within LitD songs repeat motifs, melodies, progressions, etc. I like to think that everything post-LitD is going to be just one continued exploration of these ideas. Same thing I love about Hiss Golden Messenger: total fearlessness about recycling / returning / repeating, each album feels like a continuation of a thought / continued exploration of same forms.

JL6161, Dbstay and jumpinjulian like this.
  15. ECK

ECK Forum Resident

Also: disagree about fizzling at the end... I think "You Don't Have to Go" (track 10) is absolutely the best thing he's put to tape.

drivingfrog likes this.
  16. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

I got my black EU copy yesterday. Perfect pressing by MPO. Cut at Sterling by Ryan Smith (RKS).

I really love the album. Nice "sequel" to Lost in a Dream. Amazing dreamy atmosphere here in my house. The only complaint I have is that the jacket is not thick tip-on style like Lost in the Dream has. :)

17. nesyarug

nesyarug Forum Resident

Anyone that bought the download already (HDtracks, Qobuz)? Its available in 24bit/44.1kHz. Feedback on sound quality appreciated.

18. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Except "Holding On" and the other uptempo track (think "Nothing to Find") it sounds acceptable but not as good as Lost in the Dream.
    Most tracks are DR5, and a couple DR4 = Major label debut + same producer that made last Alabama Shakes extremely loud.

But still sounds acceptable, although the uptempo tracks could be better (Red Eyes on previous album, had also a bit of that fatiguing sound).

After all I would recommend it, despite the poor DR-values.

19. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

DR values and peak levels match the CD, not worth buying the hi-res download in my opinion.

Robert C likes this.
  20. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Just ordered the black vinyl. From what I can gather it should sound quite acceptable. Would that be a fitting describtion, vinyl folks?

21. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Here's the DR values for the 24/44.1 HDTracks download. I don't have the CD to do a subjective comparison against. In other 24-bit vs 16-bit 44.1 recordings I have heard benefits of 24-bit even though the DR measures and other objective measures are otherwise the same. I don't know about this particular recording. Eventually I'll try it against the CD and find out. HD Tracks currently has a sale going on. The HD Tracks version is cheaper for me than the CD after figuring in shipping for buying online or gas money to buy in a physical store. It sounds fine given its DR numbers. About as good as you can expect for a modern mastering. But the 16/44.1 CD version of Lost In A Dream sounds better to me compared to this 24/44.1 version of the new album.

I'm disappointed that the high-res version is only 24/44.1. They can do better given that they're popular enough now to afford the gear and studio necessary to do 24/96. Mogwai has been able to release their latest albums at 24/96 on Bandcamp. Certainly The War On Drugs can match that. But they didn't. I guess that sweet sweet big label Warner/Atlantic Music label money didn't amount to much in terms of doing better quality.

Code:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: The War On Drugs / A Deeper Understanding
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
    DR5       -0.08 dB    -5.75 dB      6:23 01-Up All Night
    DR4       -0.08 dB    -5.28 dB      5:31 02-Pain
    DR5       -0.08 dB    -6.10 dB      5:51 03-Holding On
    DR5       -0.08 dB    -6.95 dB      6:41 04-Strangest Thing
    DR6       -0.08 dB    -9.43 dB      4:00 05-Knocked Down
    DR5       -0.08 dB    -6.03 dB      6:10 06-Nothing To Find
    DR5       -0.08 dB    -7.75 dB     11:11 07-Thinking Of A Place
    DR5       -0.08 dB    -5.69 dB      7:21 08-In Chains
    DR5       -0.08 dB    -6.96 dB      6:29 09-Clean Living
    DR5       -0.08 dB    -6.77 dB      6:43 10-You Don't Have To Go

Number of tracks:  10
    Official DR value: DR5

Samplerate:        44100 Hz
    Channels:          2
    Bits per sample:   24
    Bitrate:           1648 kbps
    Codec:             FLAC
    ================================================================================

sassi likes this.
  22. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

yeah, I agree. I said it sounded a bit thin but you are right, compressed. The first track really went over my head a bit.

Robert C likes this.
  23. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

There's always a benefit from 24bit especially with modern recordings.

It doesn't sound extremely bad, except the 2 more uptempo tracks sound a bit more fatiguing.

I guess they maximized the loudness but did no brickwalling/limiting.

It could have been better, like with 99% of modern recordings. But it's not catastrophical imo.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  24. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

Totally forgot about this release, thanks OP.
    First listen, very strong album will be on loop all day.

Jerry James likes this.
  25. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

A bit off topic I know but could you in a few lines explain to me the difference between maximizing loudness and brickwalling?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.