Warner Bros. banned cartoons information

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by indy mike, May 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

LOVE your avatar! Yeah yeah, sure sure.

Most of the studios' vault color prints are IB Tech. They are slightly worn though, even though most of them have a "Do not project" sticker on them, they do.

Since most folks who buy DVD's are super critical about scratches, etc., the studios just strike new Eastman prints from the Tech or Eastman negs. Easier to restore, but the color is always lackluster.

The first time I ever saw a cartoon in a real movie theatre, I was five years old, and the one with Daffy Duck as Robin Hood was shown. Now, having just seen that cartoon at home on TV, my jaw dropped. What amazing color. Sigh.

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'm confused - are you saying that TV broadcast used the Technicolor print?

(I love Hubie and Bertie because they play some serious mind games with Claude Cat)

3. Steve Hoffman

No, I'm saying that the Eastman print shown on TV looks dead compared to a true Tech print. The difference would be apparent to anyone. The colors are 3D.

Whenever the TCM people say that they are showing a Technicolor Restoration of a famous color film, it really isn't. They might have used the three strips to make a new print, but the print is Eastman, there by defeating the purpose. (Bitch bitch bitch.....)

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

thanks, that's what I thought you meant. You probably know this better than I, but it is most likely based on some executive's profit-driven decision "no one will ever notice/hear/see the difference"

5. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

"I get to push the button!!!!" :D

6. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Why is it ok to have stereotypes on TV and in movies and in music but it is not ok to watch movies from 60 years ago that portrayed stereotypes? The ones from today are much worse. Makes me wonder if TV, movies and music from today will be banned in 60 years. I guess it all depends on who is making the movies/TV shows/music.

7. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

I can't understand this either. Pick up a copy of Kansas City with Harry Belefonte and check out the black cabbies role and the way Belefonte talks to him.

Go fiqure? :confused:

8. Joseph Kaufman

Joseph Kaufman New Member

Furthermore, THE SEARCHERS was originally shot in the ulta-sharp VistaVision process (large format negative that moved sideways through the camera). When I saw a clip from an original print in a show at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' Samuel Goldwyn Theater, I realized just how far off how this movie should look all the later prints and video incarnations are. Not only in terms of the intense color Steve talks about, but also in the depth and sharpness of the image.

I hope the Academy treats we Angelenos to a screening of their complete original print someday.

9. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Fascinating thread indy. Thanks Steve for the links and article.

John

10. Steve Hoffman

Joseph,

VistaVision was shot on 35mm film stock, not 70. It was indeed sideways. All the original special effects for movies like STAR WARS were shot in VistaVision because the process was extra sharp and one could go several generations down optically without losing too much...

11. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

John, I LOVE cartoons (even Bob Clampett ones, Steve) - this isn't limited to just Warners' toons; MGM toons have lotsa edits and alterations, there's wartime Popeyes that are MIA, Lantz made a series of toons with black images and hot jazz soundtracks that have been deemed offensive - it's hard to get the whole picture of animation when many pieces are hidden away - we might not like or care for the images, but it's part of history.

12. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Mike,

An all too familiar story. Thanks for bringing this to the attention of a few more concerned citizens (I sound like Batman) including me.

John

13. Joseph Kaufman

Joseph Kaufman New Member

The sideways motion of the 35mm film through the camera allowed the VistaVision process to expose a larger negative image than standard 35mm, somewhere halfway to 70mm. So the "large format" designation isn't entirely wrong, even if it isn't up to real 70mm. In any event, as I know you know, the extra sharpness and general clarity of VistaVision is a enormous plus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.