Warner Bros. Censored Eleven and other public domain cartoons on DVD?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I bought this public-domain cartoon compilation DVD at the dollar store some years back and was surprised to find "All This and Wabbit Stew" was included. It's a pretty standard Bugs Bunny-humiliates-a-hunter 'toon but instead of Elmer Fudd, he tangles with a nameless "Sambo" style character. ("I'se gon' ketch me a raaaaaaaa-bit!")

[​IMG]

It also contains the Bugs cartoon "Fresh Hare," which ends with a scene of Bugs performing "Dixie" in blackface, with some minstrel-show styled backup singers/dancers joining in.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    Stuart S likes this.
  2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Once again, if it was not for the "crap shooting" joke, it could be just Bugs humilliating a hunter once again. Not Avery's best short, but a very good one anyway.

3. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I don't think it calls for a separate release. It should be on a complete collection, where it's included with context. There are plenty of academics & scholars that could explain it in a preface or as a commentary.

As a separate release? That would be courting trouble.
    Then again, if the release also donated a portion of the sales to a group like the NAACP, I think that might take some of the sting off...

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Unfortunately, the Golden Collection is over, as well as the Platinum one, so I don't see future releases happening :( .

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Unga bunga binga.

6. But isn't "rascism" the concept that one group of people believes that they are better/superior than another group of people? If so, then how does caricature fall into the realm of racism?

Is it the stereotype angle that's offensive, then? Could it be that stereotypes are self-inflicted truisms by nature, but it's only when it's pointed out by a bird that doesn't flock together that it becomes "racist?"

I mean, I don't know. I'm asking. The cartoons are weird. They don't depict modern life, that's for sure.

nbakid2000 and MarkTheShark like this.
  7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah, it's probably my favorite of the 11 if you can look past the racism (which is not an easy thing to do, but...).

8. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Crappy cartoons??

ITS JUST A CARTOON........ THEY ARE BETTER THAN THE GARBAGE MADE NOW!!! -- Those are Crap!!

9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, calling those cartoons "crappy" is an understatement, not to say it's pure trolling.

10. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I enjoy those type cartoon very much so, the sense humor aspect.
    And how they pushed the envelope . Some people are too thin skinned.
    Poor babies... Just like Song Of The South it's friggen folk tale.
    Get over. I have boot in dvdr I enjoy it.
    Should cartoons be released yes show them on big screen for few weeks.
    Then , it will be out peoples system you can have all kinds dialog
    From college professors trying pick every scene of those cartoons
    Finding fault in 70 plus year old cartoon.
    Things were different back snap out of it . It's history

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, yeah! Sure, sure!

Every one of them is up on YouTube, several times, though not in very good quality. Note that in a lot of cases, the pre-1948 titles went through so many hands, the nitrates did not survive and even the safety copies that remain are not always in good condition.

Quite a few of them are still funny, even if they're offensive on several different levels. I think they're important to preserve as part of history. There's aspects of Gone with the Wind that are horrible, too, but I don't see people censoring or banning that.

stereoptic likes this.
  12. bennie

bennie Forum Resident

That's an excellent observation. I, also, do not think caricature falls into the realm of racism. It's just hypersensitivity.

I am intimately familiar with virtually ALL of the WB cartoons. There are literally hundreds of them which depict the same sort of caricature stereotypes of the Irish, Italians, "New Yawkahs", Southern "Hicks", Dimwitted People, Celebrities - the list goes on and on and on. No one seems to have stopped those from being released or in their continued broadcasting.

ohnothimagen and Dudley Morris like this.
  13. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

...Or even modern day 'toons like Southpark, just about anything created by Seth MacFarlane, hell, even The Simpsons and list goes on...but, oh, yeah, because the modern cartoons are described as "satire" they more or less get a free pass. Absolute bollocks IMO.

If yer gonna go out of yer way to be offended by a friggin' seven minute seventy year old cartoon, fer chrissakes, you've got waaaaay too much free time on yer hands.

clhboa, Benno123 and showtaper like this.
  14. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I'm offended by this post and enthusiasm for harmful, offensive, negative pieces of "entertainment." Please ban this poster.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    Dudley Morris and MarkTheShark like this.
  15. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I have zero problem looking past any "racism" (which is a term that has been hijacked) in 70 year old cartoons.

16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yesterday at 7 AM I turned the TV on and an Argentine channel was broadcasting All This And Rabbit Stew, dubbed in Spanish. I was not expecting to see that, I tell you for sure!

billdcat likes this.
  17. PaulKTF

That's great! I hope it was uncensored.

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It was not censored at all, and the latin Spanish dub was new, and that can't be done without Warner's approval, can it?

19. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

WB cartoons stereotyped white people too, all kinds of people as a matter of fact.

Elmer Fudd is a prime example and no one complains about that.

If anything, they made jest of stupid people of many races.

Get a life peoples!

Rufus McDufus and Dudley Morris like this.
  20. PaulKTF

Uh, but white people have never been an oppressed minority...

billdcat and action pact like this.
  21. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Untrue.
    Oh the Scotts were never slaves?
    How about what happened in Germany?

22. And yet, not so surprising. I don't think anyone outside North America and perhaps Western Europe gets their knickers in a twist about such petty crap as old un-PC cartoons.

Stuart S likes this.
  23. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Or my high school. :D

Stuart S likes this.
  24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Back to cartoons, please....

billdcat likes this.
  25. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

In this country, white people have never been oppressed minority.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.