WARNING! Records are now a prime target for mail thieves!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by paulmock, Feb 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

2. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I shudder to think about it myself. But if we shrink away from asking the hard questions we are all equally to blame. And at that point, is cannibalism really that far off?

3. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

:agree::-popcorn::agree:
    the beave

4. The Beave

What the heck are you talking about Nostaljack??
    I just don't get it at all.
    the beave

5. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Contact your local postmaster (in person at the post office) and express your concern.

The USPS branch can, and should, investigate if indeed your mail is being tampered with by outside or even inside sources.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  6. The Beave

No, not that far off at all.
    And we need to make sure that never ever happens.
    Or we'll all be shot and then sent to the Russian Front.
    the beave

Sandinista likes this.
  7. The Beave

And seriously (!??) they do take any complaint seriously. (did I just use that word twice in one stupid sentence.....yes i guess i did). The approximately 5/6/7 times I've called them after not receiving a package, and this involved both domestic and european shipments, and within 3 days tops, there was the package, on my doorstep.
    No lie, they do take this seriously.
    the beave

8. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Every once in awhile we would have someone come in the store, grab a bunch of CD cases, we kept the discs behind the counter, and offer to sell them to us. :) "how much will you give me for these?". How about a free nights stay?

9. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

I don't know what he meant to do, but it checks all the boxes. All caps words, exclamation points, completely misleading as to the actual content. If that isn't click bait, then what is? Not to mention that it doesn't really have anything to do with music. I think this thread should have been shut down immediately, or the title and initial post changed to "Does Anyone Know Why My Packages Appear to Have Been Opened and Resealed?"

This thread is nothing but useless bickering back and forth between people defending the strange assumptions of the OP and people pointing out that they are just assumptions. We are all guilty of that I guess. I wasn't trying to pile on, just thought of a funny fantasy of someone who cuts open and reseals packages just to laugh at a silly thread like this.

10. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

He was trying to do a good deed based on what he thought happened to him. His frustration over being misunderstood was palpable because he said as much.

It didn't have to be useless bickering. It turned into that because people somehow imagined he was just trolling. Instead, he was just being well-meaning. How others can't see that totally eludes me. With all due respect, all you did was repeat what had already been said several times. That's piling on. I'm quick to jump when someone is trolling but clearly the OP wasn't; at least it was clear to me.

This thread is a pretty stark reminder of what's bad about SHTV. Really sad...

Ed

NotOneStraw, Grootna, MRT and 2 others like this.
  11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'm not defending his assumptions, I'm criticizing the really exaggerated and over the top reactions to the OP and what I see as the shameful piling on. As I see it, the bickering is between people who think that the mockers need to back off a little, and those who insist they have a perfect right to mock something that they see as being insufficiently substantiated.

Front 242 Addict and Nostaljack like this.
  12. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

...and it's much more likely something will be stolen by someone working for Royal Mail / the courier than someone actually pinching it off your doorstep.

Halfwit likes this.
  13. 4stringking73

4stringking73 Forum Resident

Today I received a package yesterday from Amazon (all cd's inside) that was transferred to USPS from UPS using *smartpost*. Anyway, it was opened and resealed similar to the way the original poster stated in the beginning of this thread. Also the corrugated zipper side of the package was untouched. Guess this could possibly be a new thing with USPS? As long as my stuff is ok, I am cool with it. Also I live in Ohio in the middle of Amish country, not much mail theft in these parts. It is like Andy Griffith here except even more remote. Now I also had cd's delivered yesterday by UPS from Amazon and the package wasn't opened at all. So I am guessing maybe that the post office is inspecting things for damage so they don't get dinged for stuff that gets damaged when handed over by UPS through UPS *smartpost* to be delivered by USPS? Again, I don't care as long as my stuff is not messed up. I must admit that it would be kinda cool to find a Amish audiophile/thief out here. :laugh:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    paulmock likes this.
  14. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

A friend who runs a music store told me that some courier services have a racket where they claim to have attempted delivery a few times, when they haven't, then charge the seller for the extra delivery attempts. We had this happen when my wife bought some jewellery online. The courier claimed to have attempted to deliver on two occasions, which they hadn't because we were home. When I contacted them to complain the person I spoke to went ballistic, screaming down the phone at me. We contacted the vendor and obtained a refund. I reckon the OP's parcel was opened by a crim working for whoever delivered it.

15. 4stringking73

4stringking73 Forum Resident

The word "Today" should have been deleted at the beginning of my post. I missed the window on editing that typo.

Myke likes this.
  16. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

I think the Beatles should have kept Pete Best.

Robert C likes this.
  17. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

In fifteen years of online shopping, I don't believe I've had anything stolen either by Royal Mail staff or couriers.

Sure, the Royal Mail have (or at least had for a good while) a penchant for sticking a card through your door to say they attempted delivery while you were out... while you're actually in. I believe it was a postal worker than admitted that depending on a parcel being awkward, bulky or heavy, they'd just leave it at the sorting office, write a card and leave it up to you to decide how you get it. Happened lots a few years ago, I fired off a good few complaint emails about it.

And couriers can be a royal pain in the backside, also stating they have attempted delivery when they haven't, etc. But no thefts as far as I'm aware!

gary191265 likes this.
  18. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

19. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

I don't even have to click the video... I live in Glasgow and there can recall Still Game clips verbatim! ;)

Halfwit likes this.
  20. You can always recognize Amish audiophile/thieves by the clippety-clop as they escape. :D

21. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I've been sat by the front door when the cheeky ****ers have arrived and just stuck the card through the door without even knocking! :)

They once left a £4k DSLR sitting on the doorstep (we live on a terraced street and the front door opens straight out onto the street) on a Friday afternoon when we were away for the weekend. Fortunately our neighbours took it in when they saw that it was there when they went to the pub early evening and was still there when they got back late evening. That was supposed to be signed for (and only by the homeowner, not left with a neighbour etc.) but it was just dumped, no card or anything.

bleachershane likes this.
  22. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

I've had a few things out of thousands that didn't arrive, so it's not all that common, but surely more common than people pinching parcels from doorsteps. Previous FoI requests found 300+ people a year are sacked or resign from Royal Mail after allegations of theft, and I can't imagine there are that many folk running around taking things from doorsteps - why would they bother when there's a job a day becoming available at Royal Mail that would make their theivery much less taxing!

bleachershane likes this.
  23. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Exactly. I could imagine something like a master tape being stolen. But LPs? Nah.

dkmonroe likes this.
  24. Ivor Hugh J'ampton

Ivor Hugh J'ampton Member

Way WAY back when you could actually send records thru the mail without having to mortgage the house, I did a trade with Finland.
    I was expecting ten or so real rare records (like orig Wigwams on Love). They never arrived.
    I was certain the guy had taken me for a ride.

TWO YEARS later, the day after my father died, the packet of lps arrives.

Back in Finland the mail truck had been hijacked. They found it in a forest almost 2 years later.

25. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Whoah! That's like the World War II love letter sent by an American GI to a British woman that was delivered FOTY-FIVE YEARS later. The GI had died and the woman was bereft over "what might have been." Glad you got your merch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.