Warped record

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sear, Mar 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

I have a warped record. Don't affect playback neither sound. But it seems like the stylus is surfing on the record waves. (more on the outer grooves )
    Is there something to worry about?
    Should I do something about it?
    Thank you very much

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  2. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

If it sounds okay, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Tightly pack the record vertically on your shelf, then check back in a few months. Warp should be reduced.

I wouldn't worry about it either btw, unless it affects play or makes you sea sick.

alexpop and andrewskyDE like this.
  4. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

There maybe a groove guard on start of record.
    May cause the ' surfing ".
    Once past this it should be ok.
    It may be wise to look occasionally on Ebay or Discogs for a second copy

I have never cured a warp

Some dealers have a machine to cure.
    I have used such a service.
    It works.

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Depends on the nature of the warp. If it's a new record, you may want to return it for an un-warped copy.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  6. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I worry with the cartridge's suspension when the arm goes up and down fast in a couple of warped records I own, even though they play well.

nosliw and patient_ot like this.
  7. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

There are some expensive devices (1-3K) on a market to cure warps, plus vinylflat + groovepuch (sp?) much cheaper.
    If you have a lot of $1000 records lying around, go ahead.. Otherwise - why?
    Other option is peripheral ring, they are also not cheap and do not know if they will work for any turntable - but they apparently benefit all records, and not just warped.
    I am not that advanced audiophile and use simple clamping device.

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

One of the reasons I will eventually get a vinylflat. With warped records, there is also the potential for warp induced wow, though not everyone may notice it depending on how bad the warp is.

punkmusick likes this.
  9. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

This is really it. It depends.

For example, a slight and gradual warp has no impact, or if it does you can't hear it.

Even larger warps that are gradual can still sound OK...... but it depends on how large the warp is

The worst ones are the sharp and sudden warps that cause the tonearm to hop --- unplayable and not good for the suspension

patient_ot and nosliw like this.
  10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The only strongly warped record I own is the 2009 pressing of Queen's Sheer Heart Attack.
    It plays without any problems, and besides that I even spin it seldom. So I don't worry much about it.

11. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

In reality ALL LP's are warped :) --- nothing is PERFECTLY flat. It's just to what degree they become intolerable, and that takes listening to it on your system to determine. Realize that one TT might play a warp OK, where another might not

andrewskyDE likes this.
  12. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Get thee a Vinyl Flat and Groovy Pouch!

It works beautifully to flatten records with no downside that I've been able to detect.

SamS, PATB and nosliw like this.
  13. Old Zorki II

I once had a weirdest warp - horizontal! Record looks like a drop and not round, very strange. It was unplayable first 2 inches. Seller returned my $$ no questions asked.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Sounds unique. Hope you took a photo of it before returning?

15. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

If there is a local record store that offers record flattening service around your area, I'd try that.

If you get the VinylFlat and Groovy Pouch, you'll need the time and patience to flatten the record. Some coloured records, depending on the quality of the PVC pellets, may require extra precaution as to not ruin the grooves if you leave it in the heat for too long.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  16. Old Zorki II

No, I did not. Seller just asked to destroy it without sending back (I paid only $8 for it) and I did. I probably should keep it as a curiosity.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  17. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I messed around with thick tempered glass and my oven. I tried to get the temperature just right and ended up accidentally moving the grooves outward (horizontally). Not a big deal. I followed the advice here to just get a new record, which I did. I was kind of interested in the idea of fixing a bad warp, so the cost of my attempt was not a total waste. (Besides, I found other good uses for the glass.) Many months later, I was cleaning a crappy record because I just wanted to hear some of it once (it had a deep scratch on one song). I accidentally had the hot water on when giving it a bath and it warped the record. It more or less regained its shape when it cooled down, but it made me realize my use of the oven was a mistake. I should have just put the record between the tempered glass, put some weight on it (if necessary), and heated it up with a hot hair dryer. Maybe I'll try that some day. To make a long story short, which really isn't possible at this point, I think there is a bit of an investment to even attempt to fix a warp, which in most cases isn't worth it. I don't think there is an easy fix. I think thick glass is indispensable because of its flatness and smoothness. How you take it from there is anyone's guess. Some have suggested leaving in the hot sun (while between glass).

Which reminds me . . .

18. Eyke42

Eyke42 Well-Known Member

thanks for the giggle misterjones. I heard this before and it's a good one.

I heard about the glass and sun and glass and oven, but not glass and hairdryer. I have a Bach Mass in B Minor album that was gave to me by an acquaintance. I has one of those tonearm launching warps and I thought I'd try flattening it. I tried the sun, but got out too late to get maximum solar heating. Looking at this, maybe the hair dryer or maybe better another copy.

19. Dani Kalmar

Dani Kalmar Well-Known Member

I follow this procedure to the letter and it worked great on many warped LPs:

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Always happy when the second side ends to take of the warped record.

21. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

The warped records are the enemy of the stylus suspension and diamond. A "jumping jack" tonearm will scratch the vinyl too.

22. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers here but I'll state the obvious: use a periphery ring along with a record weight and the problem is solved. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.