Was Diana Ross leaving the Supremes a terrible career move?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jul 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

She was given a major push by Motown but never reached the heights of success the Supremes were able to achieve in the 60's. Diana only had 5 number one hits which were dwarfed by 12 the Supremes produced the decade before.
    Although she wasn't able to attain the same type of success (singles wise), it was her solo career that was more impactful, influencing everyone from Beyonce to Mariah Carey. That has to count for something.

Was it the right move at the time? Did it pay off in the end? (In your opinion)
    Do you prefer Diana Ross when she was solo or when she was leading the Supremes?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  2. zen

zen Senior Member

Definitely not terrible.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    Maurice, Zoot Marimba and somnar like this.
  3. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

For her, I think it was a great move. She was able to expand her reach musically and work with whomever she wanted, she could do movies, etc. After awhile the Supremes were a box she needed to get out of.

4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Good move. I think a lot more people currently recognize the name Diana Ross than the name The Supremes, and most that know The Supremes think of them as the ladies that used to sing backup for Diana Ross.

5. jimbags

jimbags Forum Resident

I doubt The Supremes would have had more than 5 number ones after the 60's

6. JohnnyQuest

That's mainly due to the departure of HDH.

7. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

Wasn't she "groomed" for a solo career quite early on (much like Beyoncé leaving Destiny's Child)? The group's billing changed from the Supremes to Diana Ross and the Supremes a while before she went solo.

keyXVII, ARK, Grand_Ennui and 2 others like this.
  8. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

It was a terrible career move for the Supremes... ;)

9. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Definitely a good move. I think she had more success as a solo artist than she would have had had she remained with the Supremes.

ARK likes this.
  10. JohnnyQuest

Up the Ladder to the Roof,Stoned Love,Nathan Jones,Floy Joy,etc.

elgoodo, 905, RonBaker and 3 others like this.
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That's what the promoters thought when the reunion tour negotiations broke down with Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong. The fans thought otherwise and the tour was canceled after 14 shows.

At the end of the day, it was a good decision by Diana Ross. There is no way that any version of the Supremes, with or without Diana, was going to come close to what they achieved in the 60's (with HDH writing for them and the Funk Brothers playing for them). With decent songwriting, I think that the Supremes (w/Diana) could have remained very popular, especially since soul (early 70's) and dance/disco (late 70's) essentially ruled radio during the decade. It would have been cool to see them on Soul Train, that's for sure.

JDeanB, Grand_Ennui and ajsmith like this.
  12. JohnnyQuest

milankey, 905, JDeanB and 3 others like this.
  13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I'm not sure it would have been that successful even with the original Supremes.

14. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The Supremes were disintegrating at the end of 69. Cindy Birdsong was badly attacked in her LA home and held hostage the same week in December as the Stones infamous Altamont concert, just a few months after the Manson murders. Mary Wilson's health was declining and she was apparently in an unhappy relationship with Tom Jones.

Diana was simply waiting to leave, they say, just looking for the right opportunity. Ironically, the last single as Diana Ross and the Supremes was Someday we'll be Together. It is said that Diana was the only one of the group on the track. It has also been said that most of the Supremes singles since Holland Dozier Holland left had not featured Cindy or Mary either and that the Supremes was effectively just a brand name.

Farewell concerts were apparently undertaken in a bitter mood with Ross touted as a star of the future. That she would undoubtedly be, though I regard her singles as very good and most of her albums patchy. Some great work though, especially with Chic.

But just buy the three disc Supremes anthology if you want to hear how great they were.

It was the end of an era - the 60s - in more ways than one. Sad, but inevitable, I guess.

15. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I don't think there was another hit after those four, correct?

16. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

ARK, intv7 and chod like this.
  17. JohnnyQuest

Their cover of "River Deep - Mountain High" was also a hit. (Charting #14 on the Hot 100)

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It's hard to say - there is too much luck involved. Gladys Knight & the Pips and The Staple Singers, two R&B groups that preceded Elvis (!) were top selling pop acts in the early 70s. Who could have predicted that? I think that Diana Ross & the Supremes would have had a shot.

19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Those are good records but barely got played here in the Bay Area. Did they get played where you were?

RonBaker likes this.
  20. JohnnyQuest

I wasn't alive in the 70's. :sigh: Up the Ladder to the Roof charted #10 on the Hot 100,Stoned Love #7,Nathan Jones #16 and Floy Joy #16 as well.

21. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

The Supremes without Diana Ross had 13 hits in the Hot 100. 8 were in the top 40.

You could see the Supremes' decline after H-D-H left. They only had 3 top ten hits, and 3 more in the top 40 post H-D-H. (Actually I prefer the Supremes singles post Diana Ross to those during the period right after H-D-H left and Ross was still with the group). Diana's departure was inevitable - she was also encouraged by the Motown machine. That said I prefer the H-D-H Supremes to Diana Ross solo. She had some good singles, but I don't think they were as good as the Supremes with H-D-H.

22. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I was in Chicago during that period and you heard them quite a bit, especially Stoned Love and Up the Ladder to the Roof.

CliffL, chacha and JohnnyQuest like this.
  23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Right. Interestingly enough, some records by artists didn't get played much in certain areas around that time despite what the charts will tell you. I was a 45 buyer for Tower Records for awhile in the 70's and there was often a big disparity between the charts and what was actually selling.

CliffL and JohnnyQuest like this.
  24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This is great!! Trivia: Writer/producer Frank Wilson's single for Motown, "Do I Love You (Yes I Do)" is the rarest Motown record (pressed on the "Soul" label and then withdrawn), with only a handful of copies known to exist. It's one of those $10,000+ records.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  25. JohnnyQuest

Give me a few examples. I've heard that James Brown had many singles in the 60's and 70's that didn't chart as high but sold millions upon millions of records.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.