Was Houses of the Holy a step down in quality after 4?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Morfmusic, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I used to think HotH was a letdown, but I got over it.

Disclosure: the First Four were, are, will be considered sacred in this house.

Though I put Presence ahead of HotH, the latter is a much richer album than I originally gave it credit for. The songs speak for themselves, but my perception is what's in question. When I first heard it in the day, the then-publicized news that Plant was experiencing voice damage was evident on the record; overall, it wasn't as powerful an album as The First Four, and I wanted that power. But I came to understand that Zep did many things well.

However, HotH does regretfully contain the one LZ song that I still actively dislike:

D'yer Maker.

That's the REAL reason this is a crippled album.

PS: I like The Crunge. o_O

2. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

The 2 would have made one hell of a double album

3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

HotH is not a step down. It's progression.

RickH, epp56, Efus and 1 other person like this.
  4. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Three ‘4’s’ next to each other resemble the icky ends of Satan’s prong. Four ‘sticks’, so there’s a hint in the title right there. 4x4=16, the cd has one (1) playable side and it’s song number 6. On vinyl, if you detract 2 off of the total amount of songs on the album up to that point (‘2’ = side ‘2’) you will end up with ‘4’ songs and the 4th song presumably carries a satanic message in backwards fashion!

4 minutes wasted.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  5. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

This is interesting. I might need a degree in Math to go any further! :p

6. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

The number 8 someone said. Now, let’s see 4+4=...

7. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

III
    I
    Physical
    Houses
    IV
    II
    Coda
    BBC
    Plant Page Live
    Presence
    Door

Very difficult on the order. Houses and III are just so good! It can change.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  8. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

It was my first LZ album. Loved it then, love it now. It’s right up there with I, II, III and IV.

DME1061 likes this.
  9. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Hard for me to rank Zep albums, putting them in tiers much easier.

Essential: I, II, III, IV
    Ex: HotH, PG, BBC
    Good: Presence, Door
    You dont need everything: SRTS, Coda

10. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I'll play.

IV
    I
    III
    II
    Presence
    HotH
    PG
    ITtOD

Coda doesn't count, but I don't dislike it. There are no bad Zep albums.

PG is one side too long. Unload side 4, and I'd move it up a notch.

11. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Step down? It doesn't have 'Stairway to Heaven' or something equally as cringeworthy, so no way!

12. babaluma

babaluma Forum Resident

I think Song Remains The Same is one of the greatest guitar songs of all time!

13. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Casual fan here. I only know the first 5 albums and from a friend who used to play them a lot, way back when.
    The one I liked the most was Houses Of The Holy, and it's still the only studio album of theirs I have or want. I think it's a brilliant record; don't get the negativity toward Crunge and D'yer Mak'er.

14. Creole Gris-Gris

Creole Gris-Gris Shoe-String Budget Audiophile

Not a step down. Especially the RL copy. A great album indeed.

15. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

It has never occurred to me to think of Zeppelin's discography in terms of being progressive, in the sense of each new album being a step in an evolutionary process. Perhaps it is because they, or anyone else for that matter, could not ever hope to top that eponymous debut LP. ~ match it, perhaps .. or, at least put up another in a series of efforts to try and at least present a respectable attempt to do so. In that they managed, but each effort is different. 'Houses' does succeed in giving us another in only a handful of true showcases, in 'No Quarter'. The showcase from IV is 'When The Levee Breaks', imo. Each album has one or two of them. Houses is at least as good as IV, but IV has more dynamite and Houses mellows a bit.

16. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Same here. The 1st LZ album I bought on my own......spring/summer of 73. I still remember listening to it for the first time in an apartment where we lived (I was 11 at the time). I can still see the sun shining through my bedroom window whenever I hear The Song Remains the Same. This album holds a special place for me.

musicfan37 likes this.
  17. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Not trying to be argumentative--I just think this is worth pointing out, because I think it's worth doing. I try as much as possible to listen to everything with zero expectations. And I even mean to an extent where if, say, the Rolling Stones were to put out an album next year, and I hit "play" and I hear them doing polka tunes in a traditional way, or they do a traditional polka tune, then a gamelan tune, etc.--whatever--I'd be fine with it conceptually, because I have zero expectations about what they will or should be doing.

18. Terrapin Station

I think it's more that they were four guys with a huge number of different musical loves between them, and they didn't want to just focus on one narrow thing all the time, without letting their various influences come through, without being able to explore all sorts of different things that excited them musically.

19. Terrapin Station

No one said we were going to have to do math.

[​IMG]

20. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Man, this thread is getting to the point of needing some serious pushback from IV proponents. Who's with me? :cool:

mr. suit and Crimson Witch like this.
  21. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

a stately appraisal indeed :thumbsup:

Terrapin Station likes this.
  22. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I'd say so, but not by much, because it contains some excellent material. IV would be a very hard act to follow.

HfxBob likes this.
  23. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

I've played HOTH a lot more over the years than IV. One of the reasons is "Stairway to Heaven" - if I never hear that song again it'll be too soon. Other reasons;

"The Ocean" is maybe my favorite song of theirs. "We've done four already but now we're steady and then they went: One, two, three, four BAM BAM BA BA BAM" is such an iconic, epic, simple, and yes stupid way to start a song but man does it FEEL GOOD! The fact that it's been used by hip-hop bands as well as influenced countless other bands, just shows how good this is. Then the change after the last verse, I get goose bumps when they kick in with that. Bonzo's banging and stomping, Jimmy's riffs and sweet tone, Plant sums it up perfectly - "OH SOOO GOOD!"

"No Quarter" is an underappreciated classic. The mood, the music, sublime.

"OTHaFAW" straight up one of the best in their catalog.

"TSRTS" and "The Rain Song" both are excellent.

I agree that "The Crunge" and "Dancing Days" are weak. Although I'm fond of "D'yer Mak'er" because it's too much fun not to like.

24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Yes, in fact its one of my least favorite Zep albums. I hate The Crunge. Hate it. As much as I love The Rain Song, I hate The Crunge, and it nullifies the whole thing. Phys Graffiti was a step back up. IMO.

25. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

My brother from another mother!

I333I likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.