Was Oasis the biggest band in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WildHoneyPie9, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

From 1994 to 1997 they were probably the best bet....I guess.

But Britpop was way to regional to produce a large of bands with world conquering potential.

So they were the biggest band in the world same way U2 was the biggest band in the world from 2000 to 2005. The only band who wanted that distinction and had enough talent to know how to serve the marketplace.

But it can be argued that the title lost it's true significance the moment Kurt pulled the trigger.

2. Graham

Graham Senior Member

"Biased hate"!!!! Just, like, an opinion man. Like your biased love.

A lot of people can't stand Oasis. I don't mind them but their meat and potatoes rock is an easy target.

Jarleboy, Tristero and Dodoz like this.
  3. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Is Coldplay "stadium vegan pop" ? :D

Jarleboy, e.s. and simonux like this.
  4. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Also Lars Ulrich of Metallica, saying ‘Oasis has been the soundtrack to my life for the last 20 years’ -

Metallica's Lars Ulrich: 'Oasis has been the soundtrack to my life for the last 20 years'

5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Oasis and Blur are both "after-realtime" discoveries for me, so I certainly am not a part of fan rivalry supporting one band over the other. (I'm enjoying both bands...and NG's High Flying Birds). After reading all the Oasis-Beatles stuff I was quite surprised to hear Beetlebum which, in the early part of the song anyway, seems extremely Beatle-ish.

DHamilton and e.s. like this.
  6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

:righton::agree::righton:

7. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

sure in their heads

8. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Ha I just tried to google that and came up with this instead

Steve Earle calls Noel Gallagher 'the most overrated songwriter ever' - NME

“I dislike Man City because it is Oasis’s club, Noel Gallagher is the most overrated songwriter in the whole history of pop music. They were perfect for the Brit press because they behaved badly and got all the attention. Blur were really great. That guy Damon Albarn is a real ****in’ songwriter.”

Steve is a more than a decade late for the battle of Britpop, but his superior taste is noted ;)

Jarleboy, Dodoz, Graham and 1 other person like this.
  9. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

It would be if Damon hadn't gone to such great efforts to make Blur seem like a footnote in his overall career.

10. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I was not referring to people who simply dislike them. Many of the comments in this thread about them had nothing to do with music but pure hate for them as people. I don't like Queen but I would never try to disregard them musically because I don't personally like them. That has happened throughout this thread and it was those people I referred to as having "biased hate".

What I found astonishing in this thread was how so many people dismiss them based on them being rude and loud yet those people are in many threads here worshiping artists who have been involved in activities that lean toward the disturbing, exploitative, illegal and yet because they are the biggest artists in music it is OK.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Jarleboy, NunoBento, Graham and 6 others like this.
  11. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Agreed. As I posted upthread, even if you hate them, you can't dispute the number of records they sold, especially with the first two albums.

12. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

I don't hate them but do resent how popular they were with my generation. Without wanting to sound too condescending there was other, more talented artists from both sides of the pond who deserved that exposure. Then again without Oasis wiping the floor with Damon we may never have gotten the Blur or 13 albums or Gorillaz, Damon may have been happy doing what Noel does and writing weaker versions of Parklife and the Great Escape, so they may have, indirectly, contributed some good to the world of the world of music afterall :whistle:

However mediocre their music was, credit were credit is due; they at least were never as bland as Coldplay who took over their crown as the world's favourite (British) band.

Jarleboy and DrBeatle like this.
  13. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Outside of this forum, I've actually never encountered someone who admits to liking Coldplay.

DrBeatle and idreamofpikas like this.
  14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Anoyher big influence, not yet mentioned here, was Teenage Fanclub.

ToneLa and Man at C&A like this.
  15. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Good post. I've noticed a couple of people on this thread, have dismissed them without actually hearing them.

16. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I only have The brilliant Grand Prix, but I don't really hear an influence on Oasis there.

17. FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat Forum Resident

Wouldn't They Might Be Giants be the biggest band in the world?

18. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Answer to the question; no, at no point was Oasis ever the biggest band in the world.

fer2 likes this.
  19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I don't know that album, I'm referring more to their earlier ones, A Catholic Education (1990) and especially Bandwagonesque (1991). Here's a track off the latter:

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Biggest band ?
    No. Tbat usually implys big in America which was not the case with the mancs lads.

21. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I hope not. I don't even know who they are! :agree::sigh::help:

22. Registred

Registred Forum Resident

I agree they were the biggest rock band in europe but not the biggest band in the world because outside the UK they did not have the cultural impact that Nirvana had all over the world. The last UK bands to have been the biggest band in the world were The Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

23. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

It must be strange to live in a world where everyone dresses like a lumberjack and nobody's heard of Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd.

clarkydaz, e.s. and Dudley Morris like this.
  24. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

U2 at couple points in their career have been the biggest band in the world (whether you like them or not). Irish, not UK, you got me there.

25. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Or Duran Duran, for that matter (briefly, around the time of Arena).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.