Was Oasis the biggest band in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WildHoneyPie9, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Never cared much for Blur, can't remember one song, whereas I could name at least five by Oasis and I'm not their biggest fan either!

Karnak likes this.
  2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

"Beetlebum"? If you can't recall it, maybe listen again. I think it's a terrific song.

Jarleboy and Liam Brown like this.
  3. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Never heard of them outside of that champagne song. Meanwhile I can rattle off most Beatles songs without even thinking about it -- I think that's pretty definitive my friend!

4. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

The only thing that pretty definitively tells us is that you know a lot of Beatles songs and you know 1 Oasis song. It doesn't tell us anything about the question posed.

5. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

These days I think people could rattle off more Queen songs than Beatles!
    Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I heared a Beatles song on mainstream radio!

bob60 and NunoBento like this.
  6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

You are quite right. Blur, like the Beatles, far too 'elitist' and 'pretentious' - I mean, I Am The Walrus, what the hell is that all about. They should have sung about boys and girls and coffee and TV - stuff we can all relate to.

In case this post is too cerebral for you - I am being ironic.

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. Suspicious Minds

Suspicious Minds Forum Resident

Who's Oasis? ;-)

8. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

13 is by far the most emotional record either band have released, by some margin.

I'm not sure why you spend so much time on this nonsense when it takes two seconds to look at each albums wiki page.

(What's the Story) Morning Glory? - Wikipedia

No Need to Argue - Wikipedia

List of territories that MG defintley achieved higher sales than NNTA

• Argentina
    • Australia
    • Belgium
    • Canada
    • Denmark
    • Hong Kong
    • Ireland
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • Norway
    • South Korea
    • Spain
    • Sweden
    • Thailand
    • United Kingdom
    List of territories that NNTA definitely achieved higher sales than MG

• Austria
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • Netherlands
    • Poland
    • Switzerland
    • United States
    Now that was a pain in the ass to type out but seeing as you are incapable of reading a simple wiki page it seems I had to do it. Your made up claim that the cranberries were bigger in most market is complete ********. You have zero credibility in this thread.

9. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

specifically "bang a gong" at the beginning of "cigarettes and alcohol"

10. Django

Django Forum Resident

I'm sure the horrendous spice girls would have sold more units...and all the other crap they endorsed, dolls,Pepsi, crisps, chemical weapon's ect...

11. idreamofpikas

They may have done, though it seems the Gallaghers sold more albums. But they didn't play their own instruments so I'm not sure they qualify as ever having been the biggest band in the world.

12. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

No, the album "Spice" is claimed to have sold 23 million which is more than the claimed sales of MG (22 million). To be honest, world wide album sales are a cluster-****; don't believe everything that is stated by the Gallagher brothers or Wikipedia. MG album sales seem dubious to me, closer to 15 million seems about right.

My own gut feel, the Spice Girls were far bigger thing in their 15 minutes of fame than Oasis in theirs.

The Spice Girls were not a band however; obviously.

13. MJD

MJD Forum Resident

Huh? Again Wikipedia, for real?! And just because a country is listed on MG page (with fake numbers), it makes the album a bigger seller than NNTA? That's beyond ridiculous.

You list Belgium as a country were MG "definitely" outsold NNTA, it is Gold there, NNTA 2xP. In Denmark, MG is Gold NNTA 3xP. In Korea, you back your claim on a Wikipedia figure of 12k for MG, while NNTA is certified Plat for 100k. In Hong Kong MG is Gold, NNTA is 3xP and again you list it on countries where "MG definitely achieved higher sales". The list goes on and on. You should check comprehensive information rather than Wikipedia. I can't understand how someone can seriously tell someone else says "nonsense" while all he knows is the internet's garbage can.

14. MJD

MJD Forum Resident

Oasis' first 3 albums sold 30m units combined (6/17/7m respectively). I'm laughing out loud at the claim of DM being on 16m, like, where on Earth has it sold those copies?

15. idreamofpikas

Half a million more while Be Here Now outsold the Spice Girls third album and Definitely Maybe outsold Spice world. I said Oasis o

Not to be rude but please learn to read. I said Oasis sold more albums, they have.

Sure. Ignore evidence because you don't like it. No wonder this thread has gone on 40 plus pages.

If you have superior sources, other than your gut telling you you are right, then I would love to hear them. We both know you don't.

clarkydaz and NunoBento like this.
  16. MJD

MJD Forum Resident

There is tons of "superior sources". By March 1995, DM had sold a mere 1m WW. By the end of March 1996, MG was "near 7m" units, with US sales past 2m and UK sales past 2,5m, meaning those two countries alone represent 2/3 of its global sales. By Feb 1997 it had shipped 11m units, it was past 4m in the US, close to that in the UK for 8m sales combined, letting barely 3m elsewhere. You love to use Wikipedia as a source, and then you believe DM sold 16m WW while certifications on the 6 main WW markets (US, UK, Germany, France, Japan, Canada) add for less than 4m. Maybe it sold 7m copies in Singapore and 3m in Zimbabwe, right? By the end of March 1998, their 3 first albums were up to 25m combined and the hype/heavy shipments was over by then.

You are the one ignoring the evidences and claiming fanciful figures barely illustrating your unlimited ignorance.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    dlb99 likes this.
  17. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Much like the soup nazi, these real men of genius are simply misunderstood.

18. MJD

MJD Forum Resident

No doubt. Spice sold 9,5m in 6 months up to March 1997 and then 10m+ more the next 12 monhts. Spiceworld (same link) 11m by March 1998. During the following fiscal year, they added 1,5m and 2,6m respectively, a total of 35m with 2 albums in less time (30 months vs 43 months) than Oasis did 25m with 3. Obviously, they also sold way more singles and music videos.

dlb99 and Graham like this.
  19. The difference being that the Spice Girls mostly sold to young tween girls. Oasis' album buyers were almost all adults and older teenagers. I'm sorry, but an album sale to a 12-year-old girl is not worth the same in music credibility to acts with mostly adult fanbases.

CrombyMouse and Rufus rag like this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

George Harrison on the Spice Girls"at least you don't have to listen to them ":)

Rufus rag likes this.
  21. alexpop

OASIS
    Is there a big cd box with all their albums outtakes etc ?

22. In a word, no. Deluxe editions of their first three albums have been released with the b-sides and some outtakes.

alexpop likes this.
  23. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Credibility has nothing to do with it. A sale is a sale. Is a Radiohead CD sale with more than a Loverboy CD sale?

The Beatles also sold to a very large number of teenage girls during Beatlemania.

Jarleboy and MJD like this.
  24. tages

tages Senior Member

Is this really true? When did anyone in Oasis claim to be "better than the Beatles"? They WORSHIPPED those guys. And I'm having trouble believing the "Sgt. Pepper" quote too.

I do recall an interview where Noel said his first two albums were up there with anybody's first two.

I also recall the "Be Here Now" press conference where Noel said George Harrison was allowed to criticise them because he was "one of the four people who were better than us".

But of course if you can prove they actually said these things, I'll gladly admit to being wrong.

Diamond Star Halo and Zeki like this.
  25. alexpop

They may be the big band,but no big cd box. Sitting on money I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.