Was Oasis the biggest band in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WildHoneyPie9, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

That formula does not always stand up. Journey (Escape/Frontiers era very big in the U.S. not worldwide). More recently Dave Mathews Band.

I agree.

WilliamWes likes this.
  2. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

The great Zak Starkey on drums.
    And for those that don't consider Noel to be a very good guitarist.Watch from about 3 minutes in.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Saint Johnny likes this.
  3. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

"Definitely Maybe" and "What's The Story Morning Glory" were remixed and remastered just a few years ago along with all the coinciding and fabulous B-Sides of that era. Far more open and listenable, much easier on the ears, you can hear nuance and detail, not brickwalled. These are my go-to versions now.

Erik B., Saint Johnny and dlb99 like this.
  4. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

What? Oh you mean some fan restoration going around?

NunoBento likes this.
  5. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Straight from the horse's mouth: eight minutes and twenty-seven seconds of "wonderment"; provided by the CBS News Sunday Morning... Noel Gallagher: For The Record.
    "Wonderwall" was a 1995 hit for the rock band Oasis, and for lead singer Liam Gallagher and his song-writing brother Noel. Long out of the band -- and estranged from his brother -- Noel Gallagher is talking this morning with Anthony Mason, For The Record:

Saint Johnny likes this.
  6. Musical brothers often end up in feuds. The Everly Brothers broke up over a nasty feud much like Oasis. I'm amazed Oasis stayed together as long as they did because it's clear Noel and Liam were fighting even back in the glory days.

LilacTeardrop and Saint Johnny like this.
  7. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Clip from Liam's Alexandra Palace concert last night. Spiritual connection between artist and crowd..Rocking!

Erik B. likes this.
  8. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

If only Definitely Maybe had been mastered as well as Nevermind.

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

At the time 'Business Noel', of course, wanted to shift as many units as possible, no matter what territory they were in. But Liam wasn't going to be bent over by anyone and had more freedom over how he behaved, being signed to a tiny UK independent in Creation, than most of their contemporaries. He was never going to pander to Uncle Sam in any way and snubbing 'Unplugged', for example, sent a message out to that effect.

He didn't care whether America embraced him and the band or not. The only one who might have done was Noel, but his loyalty to his mates and his roots came before anything else.

The rest of the original line up were either going to be playing in a rock band or working in MacDonalds.

Part of their appeal, the rest of the world over, was that they weren't bothered about 'cracking America'. If they had done it they would have been delighted, no doubt, but in no universe were they ever going to pretend to be anything or anyone other than who they were to try to impress anyone.

It's different now. Liam would cut off a testicle to be liked in the US it seems, and turning in one of the most soulless albums of the last ten years might be his ticket, but I still believe in Noel's integrity, and I still believe his talent will eventually 'click' with people of his era even if it's years later.

10. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

11. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

He's not a bad guitar player. But he's very lazy. If he has to move his finger too much, he won't play it.

12. Osthagen

Osthagen Forum Resident

Sorry, just lurking around threads that aren’t in use anymore.

Noel Gallagher said of the Pixies (not my word, this is according to someone else) that they were “a rubbish band, aside for Monkey Gone To Heaven”. So his view on them is not exactly positive, therefore there probably isn’t any Pixies in Oasis.

Having said that, Noel is known to contradict himself, so anything he says should be taken with some caution.

Noel has actually showed a great deal of ignorance with relation the recorded output of the Pixies. David Bowie covered a Pixies number (specifically “Cactus”) on his 2002 album Heathen. When discussing the album, Noel heaped praise on David Bowie for “his” songwriting on the song “Cactus” (maybe he does like the Pixies after all!).

Maybe Tony McCarrol, Paul “Bonehead” Arthurs or Paul “Guigsy” McGuigan liked the Pixies, and to you it showed up in their style of play. Other than that, I would suggest that any “Pixies” elements you hear in Oasis are either from Nirvana, or from a band that influenced the Pixies, such as the Stooges or the Sex Pistols, because Noel has praised those bands no-end.

Jim B. likes this.
  13. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I remember Oasis being huge in 97 here in the States.

I accidentally bought BHN thinking it had Wonderwall on it. I went to the local National Record Mart after hearing Wonderwall on the radio and friends/family playing it... they had a wall of the new Oasis album, bought it... turned out to be the one without it

Picked up Morning Glory and played that one consistently since. One of the best albums of the 90s.

Osthagen, Zeki and Erik B. like this.
  14. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I think so

Can't think of a bigger band in the mid 90s

15. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Great first single. Supersonic-tastic!

Er.......that's all.

16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

God, I hope not...

dennis the menace likes this.
  17. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Oasis were never the biggest band in the world. But for a while back in the mid 90s they definitely were the BEST band in the world. And I think that's the greater of the two accomplishments.

18. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

Were Oasis the biggest band in the world at any time during their existence? I'm going to say no.

However, for a short space of time in the '90s - let's say between 1995 up until roughly 1997 - they were absolutely huge in the UK. Oftentimes I'll find myself having to convey to people younger than me that can't remember this period or people that lived outside of the UK in the '90s just how utterly, colossally massive Oasis were at the peak of their success and I find it so difficult because there's very little that's happened since that I can compare it to. They managed to maintain a reasonable level of success after their peak and play shows of varying sizes around the world, but in 1996 when they were playing Knebworth to thousands of people, every last one of them knowing every word to every song including all the b-sides they played, and they were seemingly never out of the tabloids, and you couldn't even watch TV without there being a mention of a Gallagher brother in some way or another, and there always seemed to be a news crew or paparazzi lurking outside Supernova Heights or Liam and Patsy's place, and then later when Be Here Now sold over 300,000 copies on its first day and they were bona-fide pop stars in the very real sense that everyone knew who they were and everyone had an opinion on them. Yeah, they were huge.

19. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Yes! At least in 1996 they were!!! :righton:
    (They broke Led Zeppelin's Knebworth record, too.)
    :edthumbs::edthumbs::edthumbs:

Clip provided is Knebworth, 2nd night: (Though if I could go back in time for a gig, it'd be Cardiff, Wales '96)
    [​IMG]
    More Images
    Oasis (2) ‎– This Is History
    Label:
    Apocalypse Sound ‎– AS 165
    Format:
    DVD, NTSC, Unofficial Release, Digipak
    Europe
    Released:
    Genre:
    Rock
    Style:
    Alternative Rock, Rock & Roll, Brit Pop, Indie Rock

Top 7 Largest UK Concerts In History - Britain For Events - Everything You Need to Know
    Knebworth 1996: The day Oasis ruled the world

PhantomStranger, Devin and Zeki like this.
  20. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

They where bigger than The Beatles in the 90's

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  21. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Above quote ~ ?o_O

First ever exhibition dedicated to Oasis coming to Tokyo - Japan Today
    Live in Japan 2002
    [​IMG]
    More Images
    Oasis (2) ‎– Live In Japan 2002
    Label:
    Spot Light (3) ‎– SPOT006-9
    Format:
    DVD, DVD-Video, Multichannel, NTSC, Unofficial Release
    Europe
    Released:

Genre:
    Rock
    Style:
    Alternative Rock, Brit Pop, Indie Rock
    Tracklist
    1 ****in' In The Bushes
    2 Hello
    3 The Hindu Times
    4 Hung In A Bad Place
    5 Go Let It Out
    6 Columbia
    7 Morning Glory
    8 Stop Crying Your Heart Out
    9 Little By Little
    10 Cigarettes & Alcohol
    11 Live Forever
    12 Better Man
    13 Wonderwall
    14 Born On A Different Cloud
    15 Acquiesce
    16 Force Of Nature
    17 Don't Look Back In Anger
    18 Some Might Say
    19 My Generation
    Live at Yoyogi Taiikukan, Tokyo, Japan, September 29th, 2002.
    (It's "The Toyko Times" on PAL format.)

Zeki and PhantomStranger like this.
  22. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Wow, I totally forgot that they broke LZ's Knebworth record. Yes it's true and I stand corrected. Not only were they the best band in the world, they were indeed the biggest band in the world back in '96. Oasis will LIVE FOREVER!

23. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Was Were Oasis the "biggest band in the world" during the Mid 90s?

No way. I reckon they thought they were the new Beatles and their songs all sounded the same. Selling out a stadium doesn't automatically make you 'great' either.

Hell yeah. :laugh:

:biglaugh:

24. steppednwhat

steppednwhat I hallucinate on Dr. Pepper

^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

Hollow Horse likes this.
  25. Devin

Devin Time's Up

August 10th 1996: Oasis took to the stage at Knebworth House for the first of their two-night residency which would see them play to 250,000 people. In truth, they could’ve sold out the event for another 15+ nights at least, with over 2.5 million applications for tickets, which was not only a record but also accounted for 4% of the British population.

The event had 3,000 crew members, 7,000 people on the guestlist and even it’s own radio station. Say what you will but the truth is that for those two nights in August of 1996 Oasis indeed were the biggest band on the planet. End of story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.