Was Pete Best really that bad of a drummer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RichieSnare, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichieSnare

RichieSnare Well-Known Member Thread Starter

The more I listen to the Beatles Decca recordings the more I like Pete Best's drumming. I think he is better than people give him credit for. Maybe not as good as Ringo but still perfectly good.

Why did he get such a bad reputation? Listen for yourself:

broshfab4 and Folknik like this.
  2. RichieSnare

3. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

I thought it was because people paid too much attention to him calling them "Pete Best and the Beatles"

Exotiki, blackg and HAmmer like this.
  4. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Wasn't the criticism that Best wasn't very versatile? I think all his stuff was rather same-y.

5. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Anyway, you've inspired me to dig out my 1983 "SILVER BEATLES" cd (the FIRST Beatles CD ever released, btw).

6. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Yes he was bad. He had one drum fill and used it on everything.

7. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Since this will inevitably get posted anyway, it might as well be me:

:D

But more seriously, I don't really know. Do we have anyone here who's followed him post-Beatles who could give an opinion, with whatever recordings he's made since then or if you've see him perform live?

8. RichieSnare

Yes but also keep in mind 1961 was very different musically than later in the 60's. We can not expect Pete to play Paperback Writer level drum beats at a time when the drummer literally just kept a beat in the background. Would that be fair?

9. RichieSnare

Yes great! :righton: I actually like the Beatles Decca audition recordings very much!

10. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Just curious...what do you think is Best's best?:D images.jpeg

chilinvilin and Folknik like this.
  11. Even by 1961-62 standards he was lame enough for George Martin not to want him anywhere near a studio.

12. RichieSnare

I like the drumming in Cry For A Shadow and To Know Her Is To Love Her.

13. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

14. My God - that had me in hysterics...had to stop it before I keeled over....

Funniest thing I've heard in ages - thanks!

15. goodiesguy and Folknik like this.
  16. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I agree. A more than competent job IMO. Of course I could not hold a beat if you spotted me the b and the t so there you go.

RichieSnare likes this.
  17. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

As drummers from that era go he wasn't that great. Have a look at a decent drummer from 1961

18. Dance Mxyzptlk

Dance Mxyzptlk Forum Resident

On this demo unfortunately he was and it was, in my opinion, the one that sealed his fate. He rushes the fills and that latin rhythm in the harmonica solo is bizarre.

seacliffe301, BZync, ODIrony and 21 others like this.
  19. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Hadn't bothered listening to it before but after doing so no wonder they got rid of him. Truly awful.

20. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

Never mind 1961 drummers, I'm glad audiences have figured to clap on the off-beat now.

21. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

That was the norm in those days

22. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

unfortunately, content is blocked for me.

23. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

24. RichieSnare

I have to be honest. Love Me Do is actually a pretty boring song. I really think Pete is trying to spice it up a little. This version is not perfect but then again it is just a single take. If they kept working on it for several takes I really think they would of ended up with a really cool version- more exciting than the official versions.

The 1st time I heard this version I laughed but now that I listened to it multiple times I like it better than the official versions. It has more energy and Paul sounds more confident and like he is having fun!

25. 905

905 Senior Member

I think it was a few things, one being that as long as Pete was in the band, Brian and the Beatles had to deal with Mona Best.

I'm sure Paul got his fur up with Pete also being the "most popular with the girls Beatle" and of course George was the one that wanted Ringo at first.

Ringo was better, yes, but look at all the grief he got over the years for his drumming. I remember the old false rumor about how Paul drummed on most of the White Album and Abbey Road.
    I once read that Peter Best invented something called the Atomic Beat, and I want to believe he did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.