Was Phantom a real Menace to young actor, Jake Lloyd?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Claudio Dirani, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall Thread Starter

I guess it was.
    As much as I dig the prequels, I confess the acting - mainly on Phantom Menace - was pretty feeble. Actors's lines sounded much more robotic than the ones spoken by the droid's themselves.

Before his part as Anakin Skywalker, I had watched Jingle All The Way starring governor Wolfcastle and he played it much better than he did on Phantom. I mean, I think the directing and screenplay left a lot to be desired and in my opinion this issue ended up ruining Lloy's future as actor. Bottom line, I'm not assuming he could be the best kid actor ever but I suppose that critics panned him worse than he deserved.
    Any similar thoughts?

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I think the line "Whoopee!!" hurt his career more than he'll ever know. :D

Seriously, he's probably no longer that cute little kid. No doubt he's gone through puberty and is stuck in one of those awkward periods. Maybe he'll surface again once he's in his 20s.

3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

You see him in quite a number of episodes during the first three years of E.R. He did not have much more to do than being a kid. The show was co-produced by Amblin, so it's easy to see the connection to Lucas...

He doesn't have to make movies you know, there's always amazing TV shows waiting for an actor of his stature.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I sure hope he went through puberty: he'll be 19 in a couple of months!

Dunno if "TPM" hurt his career or not. According to IMDB, he worked for a couple of years after that but has been MIA since 2001. Maybe he and/or his parents just decided show business wasn't the way to go?

I don't think he was ever very talented - I thought he was pretty bad in "Jingle All the Way" as well, and that was a much easier role. (Granted, he was significantly younger at the time.) I'm sure he was a nice kid, but it's not a loss to the film community that he didn't work more...

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Yup, I was right.

[​IMG]

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

"governor Wolfcastle" :biglaugh:

7. That photo is strange. He looks like a 10-year-old with a beard.

8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Corey Feldman, is that you? :D

9. Claudio Dirani

Yes, that was a global feeling. Anyway, who wrote this line? I bet he didn't improvise.

10. Claudio Dirani

They are the same fella, aren't they?
    :whistle:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.