Was "Be With Me" Pet Sounds worthy?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Oct 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do you think it would've made a great addition to Pet Sounds? (If it was recorded in 1965-1966 prior to the completion of the album.)

It certainly fits in more than Sloop John B.

Jos79 likes this.
  2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Well...

It's not from the right era, for starters.

And, I think Sloop John B is a smashing song, arrangement, and production, not to mention a great side closer.

No dis intended to Be With Me, which shares all the same accolades as Sloop. (Except side closer)

Now, Little Girl I Once Knew - if only!

3. Moth

Moth fluttering by

No, it is not. Nice arrangement, but it's a sorta simple composition with not much of a melody and the lyrics wouldn't fit in.
    I do like it, though, and I think it fits in perfectly on 20/20.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  4. "Sloop John B" fits in just fine on Pet Sounds. "Be With Me" is a nice song but not a fit at all.

Pet Sounds is entirely arrangements by Brian. "Be With Me" is Dennis.

Mr. H, MRamble and cwitt1980 like this.
  5. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Agree completely.

funknik likes this.
  6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Great song, but… Had Dennis even written a song by 1966? Pet Sounds would have had to have been put on hold (a la Smile) for 'Be With Me' to be included on it.

7. Moth

Moth fluttering by

The earliest song I know by Dennis is "I Don't Know", recorded during the making of Smile in early January of 1967.
    So, maybe he wrote a song in 1966.

8. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Produced by Dennis, arranged by Van McCoy.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  10. I believe Denny's first composition was Little Bird in 1968, with Brian and Stephen Kalinich. The arrangement is largely based on Brian's "Child Is Father Of The Man".

11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Nothing to do with Pet Sounds or even the Beach Boys, but this classic #1 from 1974 was the best song they never did!

12. Ayshpaysh

Ayshpaysh Forum Resident

I always thought Let Him Run Wild would be a great replacement for Sloop John B.

13. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

It's not 15 Big Ones-worthy.

14. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

C'mon Guys!!

15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

C'mon what? It's a good early Dennis song that has nothing to do with Pet Sounds. It's right where it belongs on 20/20.

16. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I am going with no. It fits in nicely with that era of the Beach Boys it's already in. It's Pet Sounding for sure, but it's more of a homage to that album. I suppose had Dennis written it that early and let Brian produce it, then yeah... but it'd be different and I'm sure Brian would have worked wonders with it. I like it as it is though.

17. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

While we're at it, let's replace "God Only Knows" with "Kokomo". :)

18. 905

905 Senior Member

What's with this no Sloop John B on Pet Sounds that exists in this forum world? It's theme fits in with Pet Sounds. It's an adventure the narrator goes on, but he doesn't seem to find happiness or himself. The song doesn't have a happy ending or anything... I strongly maintain Sloop John B is as essential as That's Not Me or Caroline No.

19. Shem the Penman

Shem the Penman Forum Resident

"Let Him Run Wild" sounds like a Pet Sounds track, the arrangement has that same sense of accomplished eccentricity. "Be With Me" might have fit on Friends, but I don't think it's strong enough to really matter one way or the other.

20. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Not to second guess Brian, but in retrospect, Sloop would have fit in comfortably well on Summer Days and LHRW likewise on Sounds. Don't know when Sloop was recorded, though.

Ayshpaysh likes this.
  21. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

According to the notes in The Pet Sounds Sessions, the backing track for Sloop John B was recorded 12th July 1965 (about a week after Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) was released) and the vocals and a guitar overdub were recorded towards the end of December.

22. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Noooooo!!!!! Don't ever mess with Pet Sounds! It's purrrfect! The boys are feeding goats on the cover and when you take out that magic disc and press play it's like being taken to heaven for a little while for a look around.

23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Is or is not Pet Sounds a concept album? That's always been a debatable point. I'm not sure myself, but if it is conceptual, "Sloop John B" doesn't fit the concept (Of course, it was the label execs' decision to include it to hook the album with a hit single) and "Be with Me" would have fit in much better both lyrically and musically. If it's just a superb collection of songs, "Sloop John B" fits in just fine.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  24. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Three songs that could have fit on Pet Sounds are "Let Him Run Wild," "Little Girl I Once Knew," and "Guess I'm Dumb."

"Sloop John B" does not belong on this album, and has been omitted from reels and cassettes I've made through the years. Thank God CDs are programmable.

belardd likes this.
  25. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Questionable call, there, IMO.

For one thing, the preceding song is called Let's Go Away For Awhile. Then, as advertised, we go on a journey on the Sloop John B!

Secondly, removing Sloop messes up the the flow Brian gave the album, by having each song a step upward, keywise, from the last.

This whole 'received wisdom' thing that Sloop doesn't belong is a crock, frankly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.