ABC's "Fridays"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lasvidfil, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident Thread Starter

What a great show. Enjoyed much more than SNL. Launching Michael Richards and Larry David. Great musical acts. Loved seeing Kiss and Devo. I still remember the Andy Kaufman controversy. I thought it was real the first time it aired. Seeing it now it does look kinda staged. Anyone else remember this great show?

2. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

It's because it's a pretty bad show.

I remember Devo.
    I remeber "Smoke de rope."
    I rememebr the roller skates.

But , in all honest, it's a pretty bad show.

Then again , EVERYTHING is on DVD now it seems.

I'd rather get stuff like Not Necessarily The News, or John Byner's Bizarre first.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  3. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

I completely disagree; it was often better than SNL, and the early 80's was still SNL's hey day in most folk's minds.

There is nothing, I mean NOTHING, that bests Friday's magnum opus: The Ronnie Horror Picture Show skit! :biglaugh:

For that one the show didn't even go to a commercial break for 15 minutes, allowing the entire skit to play out. The live audience gave the performers a standing ovation at the skit's conclusion. It was magnificent; a masterpiece of (dare I say it) political parody. :uhhuh:

:cheers:
    Cat

4. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I agree.I became a Michael Richards fan from watching this show.His disco gigolo bit was pure genius.:righton:

5. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

My guess is that the musical licenses would be way too prohibitive to offer complete shows. And frankly I don't know that there would be enough interest anyway.

Michael Richards was the only funny thing on that show, along with the ongoing sketch shot from the POV of Ronald Reagan, with the conceit that he thinks he's still acting.

The rest was pretty awful: "Gimme ganja!" Among my friends that transparent attempt to manufacture a catchphrase briefly became an ironic reference for anything that was lame in the extreme.

6. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

To me, Fridays was Melanie Chartoff. She was hot.
    I loved the rest of the show as well...:D

7. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I thought Mark Blankfield was often hilarious as well. and Michael Richards when he played that over grown child bit had me in stiches!

8. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Me too! I used to love the pharmacist sketches.

9. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Does anyone else remember the "Golden Boys" skits? Two platinum blonde wrestlers in glittery tights in everyday situations - I remember them tag teaming a television aerial while sleeping over at their grandma's house, for instance. I probably wouldn't find it nearly as funny as I did as a 10 year old, but I'd love to see it again.

10. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Great show. In some ways it was better than SNL. Loved it and miss Melanie Chartoff, as well.:love:

11. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I would be interested just to see King Crimson's appearance again.

Mark

12. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

13. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

"Take a PILLLLLL!!!!!"

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I got to work with director Larry David on a project a few years ago, and when I was introduced to him, I told him "you were never better than as 'Larry' from the Three Stooges on Fridays." He laughed, and said people still tell him that today.

David told me the show wasn't out for several reasons: 1) there was far too much drug humor to be PC nowadays; 2) there were several owners of the show (including ABC), and they couldn't agree on the money; 3) there were lots of rights clearance issues, particularly with the music. I would add 4) the show is terribly dated nowadays, and probably wouldn't sell very well.

Me personally, I'd love to see it, and I thought -- for a time -- it was actually better than SNL, when the latter show was really falling apart, circa 1980-1981. Hard to believe the show is 27 years old (!).

Slokes likes this.
  15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I loved the show also. In fact when Larry David lived across the hall from my mother in Manhattan Plaza in NYC (before the Seinfeld show hit TV and made it big), I was supposed to meet him because I kept telling my mother (who was pretty friendly with him at that time), "WOW he is one of the guys from that show Friday's I loved". My mother told me that at that time Larry (since he wasn't yet "famous" like he is now) told her that he was amazed that I would know him from Friday's and that I would really want to meet him because of the show. Unfortunately I never did get to meet him, as he was never home when I would visit my mother - on the other hand I have met the REAL Kenny Kramer many times since he still lives right next door to my mother.

16. lasvidfil

I wasn't into King Crimson at that time so i don't remember it. What did they play? Was it the 80's lineup?

This was one of the more controversial skits:
    Diner of the Living Dead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBBvmaMlius

17. zappa

zappa New Member

it's a classic, imho opinion, and should be released asap! maybe music rights, etc....??

18. Electric Bozo

Electric Bozo Holy Synthesist

It was in support of the Discipline album. I remember "Elephant Talk," including Bill Bruford performing with what appeared to be a large wad of 2" recording tape. Don't recall what other tune they performed.

19. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

That's putting it mildly - Painfully bad would be more accurate.

James

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm sure it IS terribly dated, but so's "SNL". I actually think it'd do pretty well because of the later success enjoyed by David and Richards. It wouldn't do "SNL" numbers, but I think there'd be enough "star value" from those two to move a fair number of DVDs.

I won't criticize the show's quality because I've not seen it since it originally aired. I liked it then, but I was an early teen - not the most sophisticated audience. I'm 99% sure I'd hate it now, though...

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If being bad kept something off DVD, there'd be thousands fewer DVDs on the market...

22. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

It was a pretty bad show. But the skits that were good.. man they were fuuny. How about that skit about the kid that always was playing with his army men and burning them up. When he would get caught by his mom and just fall out dead. I thought it was way funny.Or the cool weird guy that was always trying to pick up dates with that weird voice. Werent both of those characters early Michael Richards?

23. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

24. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I loved Melanie Chartoff, too.

The show could be very very funny. I would buy a dvd set if they put out a full season, or even just a compilation of skits.

Was the "Cop with 'roids" from Fridays or SNL? For some reason the image of that "donut" cushion for his seat just popped into my head.

25. lasvidfil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.