Watching ME TV Channel is getting depressing

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GuildX700, Jan 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

I watched that same episode this afternoon. I'm not familiar enough with the original composition of the show to say definitively, but I think what they're doing with CHiPS is zooming to fill the 16:9 frame and lopping off the top and bottom.

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

It is sad to see a lot of people pass on, but they would want us to watch the shows and enjoy them, and I still very much do.

3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Yep. And if it's not the best kid repellant you've ever used, just return it. No questions asked. Keep your lawn green and untrampled!

4. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I don't know what people are complaining about.
    If you don't like the programming, then just watch a different channel.
    Perhaps MeTV doesn't consider you their target market.

Sure there are several programming changes they've made that I don't like. They really screwed up SciFi Saturday Night. I enjoy the Hulk show, but I miss Superman. And they've moved Batman to way too late at night. I know they keep Wonderwoman on to have female diversity, but while Lynda Carter is a beautiful woman, she is a horrible actress ( as is Lyle Wagoner) and that show is terrible. Lost in Space and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea have been pushed back to the overnight timeslots, so we don't watch them anymore.

But there are several shows that we watch and MeTV programming is far better than daytime (or a lot of prime time programming) on other broadcast channels. We also get Antennae TV and their programming is generally worse than MeTV, but they run a few good shows. That is what it is all about - choice. If you don't like what's on, just switch the channel. Unlike the old days, you don't even have to get up out of the chair to flip the channel.:D

I do get tired of all the same commercials and especially their really dumb PSAs (public service announcements), but without the commercials, that network wouldn't exist or be free broadcast. So it is what it is.

Dave Garrett and Grand_Ennui like this.
  5. MeTV, Antennae, and H&I are all good for setting your DVR to record particular series you want to watch - or at least sample. Easy to FF through the commercials too, that way. H&I has all the Star Trek series on currently, and I've been (finally) catching the last 2 seasons of Enterprise -- which I never saw when they first ran. And, somehow, in all these years, I never saw any of the TOS Animated series (which has been kinda fun, now and then).

When these shows air makes no difference, anything I see on these networks is all from DVR-ing stuff 98% of the time.

6. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I watch Westerns all the time... I get that they're not for everybody, but I'd watch an episode of the worst Western series than something like "Friends"...

Texastoyz, Dave Garrett and GuildX700 like this.
  7. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Old people watch the nightly news, that's the prime demo.

8. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

I really wish Direct-TV would add Me-TV and Antennae to their roster. Kinda surprised they haven't. The Carson shows alone make the latter very appealing.

9. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I actually like MeTV, I'm glad I don't like EVERYTHING they air or I'd be sitting in front of the box 24/7.

It's quite disturbing to see all these complaints here as I'd have thought SHM forum members for the most part are the target audience <like me> for this type of programming. Oh well. :sigh:

Right now on Comcast/Infinity here in the Portland, Oregon area, I get COZI-TV, MeTV, Decades Channel, Antenna, Comet, This, and Get Tv for a total of seven retro tv channels. I'm digging it big-time while it lasts!

10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Me! They've dug up some obscure ones lately that I'd never seen before like Trackdown with Robert Culp for one - excellent show!

11. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I used to watch it more, but my local affiliate keeps pre-empting the programming with infomercials, particularly on weekends.

I also can live without the westerns. The only western I like is Maverick, but nobody seems to run it.

12. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

MeTV is running Maverick every Saturday at 10am (ET). :)

13. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

We have MeTV on Directv here in the LA area. It's Ch 20, and it's also available off air on 56.3.

They are the same most of the time, but I believe the one on Ch 20 switches to alternate program at times, usually early mornings. For example Donna Reed used to run at around 6AM but not on Ch 20. They had some religious type of programming instead. Not sure if that is still the case.

14. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I think Steve...O is referring to a dedicated channel. I get Antenna TV on a local affiliate here from something like 11 p.m. to 11 a.m. That just happened a few months ago and I still do not get any of the others.

Steve...O and Doug Sclar like this.
  15. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

We've been watching a lot of Cosi TV lately as they've been running Frasier, which my wife is seeing for the first time. However, sometimes I think Cosi's only sponsor is Shriner's Hospitals.

16. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Something else to note: MeTV is burdened by regional restrictions in a few cases. For example, they can't run The Andy Griffith Show in markets where a station has local rights, so, in that particular case, they substitute Mayberry R.F.D. in its place.

Here in Cleveland, we get the former, but I might've actually preferred seeing the latter considering its scarcity in syndication in recent years.

That, and Netflix already has all 8 seasons of Andy, uncut, commercial-free and transferred in HD. Thus, I can get my TAGS fix there.

17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Same here in New Hampshire. I think there may be more though, but I don't know.

jsayers likes this.
  18. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

We also had that issue for a couple of years, but in recent months Andy Griffith has been airing on both the local NBC station and the MeTV affiliate. I assume the exclusivity window lapsed on the NBC station.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  19. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I really have enjoyed watching Mayberry RFD. I'm ashamed to say I had NEVER seen an single episode until this run on MeTV. Good family show and since I had never seen it, all of it is new to me.

20. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

You'd think the technology is now available to 'mash up' these shows, and 'relocate' characters. Eddie Haskell visits Mayberry and runs into Barney "Hey Sam, cool your jets". Mannix leaps over the desks at the WJM newsroom in search of a suspect, and runs past the camera during a newscast momentarily befuddling Ted. Mr. French is the new sherriff in Gunsmoke. Lots of possibilities.

MikaelaArsenault and MikeInFla like this.
  21. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I usually remember those channels, i.e. MeTV, AntennaTV, Laff and the others in that area of the channels when nothing else is on that I want to watch. It seems like there may be better programming on these channels than the regular ones. I think I'll bookmark what shows are on when, and I'll record the ones I can't watch if it's in the middle of the night or the middle of the day.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

23. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I haven't seen that show in ages...

24. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

And...that's why I never watch commercial TV. I honestly have lost all ability to sit through advertisements of any kind. But ads aimed primarily towards the elderly? No no no that's never going to happen.

25. chodad

chodad Hodad

Didn't like Lucas or Mark. My favorite episode was when Lucas got dragged by a horse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.