"Watkins At Large" (Doug Watkins) correct running order

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fractured, Jun 10, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just picked up the Classic Records reissue of "Watkins At Large" and noticed that, on the record, the side that starts with "Return To Paradise" (listed first in the booklet and in most online track listings) is labeled "B", and the side that starts with "Phil T. McNasty's Blues" is labelled "A".

Also, it looks like Bernie Grundman (who cut the lacquer) got confused as well, because the "RTP" side has a matrix code with the "A" scratched out and "B" added, with the opposite correction on the "PTMB" side.

So I looked on Discogs and found a mix of which ordering is used on the various releases. The only thing that looks reasonably authoritative is that the Blue Note compilation, "The Transition Sessions", has the album in the order that matches the booklet (RTP is first).

Does anyone know the story here? It appears that Classic (and most of the Japanese reissues on Discogs, where label images are available) repeat the A/B labelling on the original issue — but are the labels correct or is the booklet? If it was a printing error on the labels, why in the world does everyone want to repeat it on reissues?

I'm sure it won't impact my enjoyment of the music in any way, but now that the question has been raised in my mind, I have to know! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.