Waylon Jennings Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rick Bartlett, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hell Yeah! He was there when it happened playing for Buddy too!

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

In my book, you can't find a guy outside of Don Williams, who could do a Country song with so much laid back class, as Mr. Waylon Jennings.

"Dreaming My Dreams" is one his best ...

3. Chris C

Here is another great laid back track of his (LIVE) ...

4. Chris C

Most of us know the great hit "Just To Satisfy You", but have you ever heard the early version that Waylon cut for A&M Records, which was produced and arranged by Herb Alpert?

5. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

One of my favorites and Waylon’s first music video (unfortunately with an annoying yellow tag that won’t go away).

“The Conversation” with Hank Williams Jr from his Waylon and Company album.

6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeap, Waylon thought it was rubbish and didn't think much of it, then recorded it and was surprised when
    it was released, Bobby Bare picked it up and recorded it, and also replicated the single
    by also doing 'Four Strong Winds' too as his own double side single........
    which led to RCA and Chet Atkins.

pablo fanques, RSteven and Chris C like this.
  7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

8. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I'm kind of surprised how little known it is that WJ did the original version of "Ruby"

BDC, pablo fanques, Larsen and 4 others like this.
  9. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Solid live recording on CD from 74. Listen to this one a lot.

Bill Diercks, The MEZ and sami like this.
  10. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

Waylon Jennings is still the king: There aren't many artists that have made as many consecutive great albums as the ones Waylon did in the mid seventies: Lonesome On'ry and Mean, Honky Tonk Heroes, The Ramblin' Man, This Time and Dreaming my dreams. Five out five for five albums in a row. And the way he sings Six White Horses on The Taker/Tulsa. Hats off.

11. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Love his voice and sound!

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Waylon is definitely one of the best that country music has ever had.

BDC, zebop, jas621 and 8 others like this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Speaking to Facebook friend, and oldest son of Waylon, Terry Jennings today, and he had posted a Neil + Crazy Horse You Tube video, so I asked if Waylon was a Crazy Horse fan ? If it was in Terry's book, I couldn't remember.
    Response back was " He loved them, we toured with them several times ! "

Cool, huh ?

14. sami

sami Mono still rules

Everything Waylon ever recorded was worthwhile, but between '69-'75 he was flawless. I probably listen to his 60's stuff more than anything else.

This might be my favorite Waylon clip, with Mr. Cash thrown in for good measure. Love his solo, and love Jesse on the keyboard.

zebop, jas621, pablo fanques and 6 others like this.
  15. Bryan Harris

Bryan Harris Hipster Doofus

I'm a little embarrassed that I've gotten to the age of 40 without discovering the greatness of Waylon Jennings, a singer who could invest as much conviction into "MacArthur Park" as "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright". What would be the best compilation with which to start?

16. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

Never could connect with honky tonk heroes. But his earlier stuff is great

The live album has moments of magic. Love to hear him trading licks with Mooney. Waylon had become quite a competent guitar player by this time.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

18. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

19. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Are You Sure Hank Done
    Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way
    really was one of the best and defining moments of the Country Outlaw movement. A fantastic song with a great percolating melody and some great lyrics. One of the very best songs he ever sang.

20. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I would also recommend the compilation Wanted! The Outlaws which had songs by Waylon, Willie, Jessi Colter and Tompall Glaser. Audiophile sonics and nice track sequencing.

[​IMG]

21. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I used to play Walk On Out Of My Mind a lot, loved his voice! Played guitar pretty good too... :cool:

pablo fanques and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Waylon's early version of MacArthur Park with The Kimberley's is stupendous and won them all a Grammy in 1969. It features a fantastic string and horn arrangement by legendary Nashville conductor Bergen White, who knew just how to work around a singer's vocals without getting in their way or overwhelming the rest of the rhythm section. He was summoned by Elvis to arrange the strings and horns for his live version of Polk Salad Annie as well as the King's unsurpassed studio version of Bridge Over Troubled Water. Oh wow, and that female lead in the middle section of MacArthur Park is blessed with one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard and the way it contrasts and blends with Waylon's fantastic baritone on the finale of the song is breathtaking to say the least. He re-recorded a version later without The Kimberley's and it certainly is fine, but in this particular case, I think sometimes less really is less instead of more. I want the whole production on this baby and Waylon really shows some vocal range in the original version of this masterpiece.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Dave112, Power Windows, AGimS and 5 others like this.
  23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

The Box Set Series can be gotten for pretty cheap on CD (around 20 bucks I believe) and comes with 4 CDs and really captures the highlights of his career both early and late, including that stupendous original version of MacArthur Park that I mentioned above. It features stellar remastering from legendary Elvis restoration engineer Vic Anesini, who himself is pretty highly regarded around this great forum.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I love Cedartown, Georgia, one of Waylon's best and most original early hit singles, but not as well known as some of his other hits. Co-written by the great singer Sammie Smith of Help Me Make It Through the Night fame, and it packs one hell of an emotional wallop. Again, a righteous horn arrangement with some delicate strings strategically pop in and out of the great production, once again courtesy of the great arranger, Bergen White. Might be my favorite original song Waylon ever cut.

pablo fanques and Rick Bartlett like this.
  25. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

It don't get better than this.