Wayward Pines (new M. Night Shyamalan TV series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maybe or, perhaps, we actually will get some of the answers we were hoping for. The show has been pretty consistent with its own internal logic (not every question in a series like this Ned's to be answered).

I wouldn't disagree with you regarding having some basis in reality ( I took the screenwriting classes at UCLA, did a bit of screenwriting nothing got produced beyond my nonfiction stuff) and but the reality is stretched fairly thin when we are over 2000 years in the future and the series and the basics are there--the more in the future a script is the less touch of reality you will have which is why the behavior of the characters And the relatability of the characters become even more important as the less like our time a show is the more likely you are to alienate the audience unless you have that commonality.

2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Well, even though I said I was out, we found ourselves with little to watch over the last few days, and there was Wayward Pines, just sitting there on the DVR. So, we watched the most recent 5 episodes and got caught up. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it *is* improving. The last 2-3 episodes were pretty good, and the storyline is actually kind of interesting now.

I guess I'll watch the remainder of the season and see how it turns out.

It's still pretty crappy TV, but it has become, uh...less crappy, I guess.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

So they've pulled themselves from the abyss that, in the industry, is called The Dome.

4. Every series goes through growing pains and this is the first season with new show runners and mostly new characters.

the second season has improved with a plot like that is more interesting now that they have found their footing.

5. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I thought the last two episodes were pretty good. Anyone who watched Season 1 would be sure to appreciate the CJ centric episode, we learn so much about the ark and how the world changed while they slept.

jriems likes this.
  6. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

When the show avoids the kid leaders (they absolutely stink!) it's not bad. Potentially good sci-fi. Not sure how they procede since the abi's can at any point overwhelm the pretty stupid "humans".
    Let's face it, the ark didn't work.

7. DigMyGroove

I'm really enjoying these final episodes, this week's "Walcott Prep" gave us a huge and shocking reveal about two of this season's new characters that was totally unexpected. If you watched the first season and found the second lacking just get through the first five episodes, things get so much better and IMO it's really paying off. Can't wait to see how this concludes!

wayneklein likes this.
  8. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Reveal = mind blown for me.

9. DigMyGroove

As Keanu would put it..."Whoa!".

Gumboo likes this.
  10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Pretty good finale .

hope they get renewed .

11. I liked the last episode although, like last year, they had a lot to deal with in order to wrap everything up in one hour. They should have two-hour season finales.

12. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

The storyline after the first few episodes got a lot better, not a bad way to end the season.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

So it sounds like everyone thinks the second season is, in fact, worth watching.

I liked the first season, but after reviews of the first few episodes appeared here, I didn't even bother to start watching the second season. I do have them DVR'd. So if the consensus is that it got good, I'll go back and watch...

14. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

The last half of season 2 is reasonably OK. This still isn't "Must See TV," in my opinion, but they did manage to salvage a dismal start with an interesting new direction for season 3. Let's see if they can follow through!

15. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I felt the first five episodes were bad (in fact, very bad), and I honestly had a very difficult time getting through them (honestly, there were some I just couldn't watch to the end). The last four or five episodes were much better, and I agree that they were not "Must See," but they did redeem the season. Based on the last few show's content, I would be willing to give the show another chance if it returns.

jriems likes this.
  16. I doubt there will be a season three. The ratings from the very beginning of season two were bad and didn't improve. Essentially they had to reboot the show in many respects because of the completed storyline for season one.

There are always growing pains for any series but given the complete change of leadership in the writers room, like any situation like this, they need as writers to discover a meaningful direction for the show (especially since, at this point, we are completely away from th books since the series covered the entire trilogy).

It's not to make excuses just to keep in mind to continue to give the show a chance. The set up for a potential season three is very promising and I do hope they support it for a third go round or, perhaps, that Netlifx, Hulu or some other online network will pick it up.

Indeed. It was quite a reveal I only realized it when we saw the second woman in the hospital it clicked for me immediately and it was well laid out putting a bow on the conclusion of the second season.

17. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

This was a "summer replacement" type show anyway, not a high priority for the network, I'm sure. Reaction was so strong to season 1 they went ahead with a season 2, but I doubt they'll get that type of response this time around....

18. Well the ratings were poor not sure why and they were from the very beginning. They didn't lose that many viewers over the course of the first five as, if I recall correctly, the ratings were flat except for the first episode.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i would be stunned if this show comes back.

20. DigMyGroove

I was happy with the finale except for the abrupt clunky edits in the final moments. I had no problem with what they were showing and implying, it was just badly edited.

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Started rewatching the first season. Atmospheric for sure.

22. alexpop

Wayward Pines street signs.
    Did i see Abbies Road ?

23. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this season. I hope they bring it back.

Scope J likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Made it through four or five episodes... gave up. Exceeded my threshold for stupidity. Off the DVR.

25. alexpop

First series ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.