Wayward Pines (new M. Night Shyamalan TV series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. And is the loudness war still happening ?

EVOLVIST, ribors, vince and 4 others like this.
  2. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Again - I'm not buying the explanation. In the first couple of episodes, Matt Dillon calls his wife and gets her answering machine/voicemail message. How could that happen with a 2,000 year gap?

EVOLVIST, JimC, bopdd and 1 other person like this.
  3. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I've been thinking for the last several episodes... whats the local intoxicant?

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Well, we've seen the local bar, so that's definitely there. You'd think they'd figure out far more effective drugs by 2095.

5. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Clearly, he doesn't get her actual voicemail. "They" have likely set up a fake voicemail box using her recorded voicemail greeting. Similar to the fake FBI receptionist that Burke talks to when he tries calling into the office.

jsayers, Vidiot and bopdd like this.
  6. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Would a road sign still be readable after 2000 years? I'm thinking not likely. Silly show so far but still entertaining.

GentleSenator likes this.
  7. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I like the show. It fills the void left by Mad Men.

JimC likes this.
  8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i agree wholeheartedly.

9. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Maybe the son is the person Pilcher actually wanted for the future.

wayneklein likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Maybe the music got so loud, it knocked the city of Boise down.

Fake answering device. The people who run the town would be smart enough to have saved an answering message of each adult, so if the imprisoned adults ever try to make a call, that's what they get.

New road signs built by Pilcher and his men.

Keep 'em coming -- I can make up more answers that sound convincing.

jsayers, JimC and Mazzy like this.
  11. Matt Dillon's brother is Mickey Rourke (motorcycle boy) his father is a drunk Dennis Hopper

12. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I'm wondering if you could elaborate on this. Based on the way the events are depicted so far, it seems to go as follows:

1) Matt Dillon's former lover/coworker is "volunteered" for the freezing experiment (and woken up something like 10 years before him).
    2) Matt Dillon and his partner go looking for their fellow agent, and also both end up being volunteered (except they wake up at different times).
    3) Matt Dillon's wife and kid go looking for him--they are volunteered for the experiment as well (and woken up slightly later than him).
    4) The people who created the experiment are theoretically the last to go in and the first ones out.

Based on the above statements, why would the people running the experiment know so far in advance that the goal was to "imprison" the participants of the experiment? Are you saying that they recorded voicemails for every participant in 2014 and then saved that for over 2000 years? How and why did they know as far back as 2014 that they would require a voicemail message identical the the one he hears, or that the goal as soon as everyone was awake was t0 imprison the subjects?

Vidiot likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Yes, I agree with all your observations except that I'd used the word drafted instead of "volunteered."

[​IMG]

My bet is that Pilcher had been observing all these people for a decade or more and had selected them by means of some kind of massive database, weighing in different factors of intelligence, adaptability, psychological stability, physical strength, and so on -- all the positive factors you would want to continue in the human race.

If they selected all these people in (say) 2010, Pilcher and his people could start collecting tons of data and preparing for the day when the villagers would be kidnapped and put in the deep freeze, then thawed out. My guess is that they have thousands of people in the deep freeze, and they don't have the resources to thaw everybody out at the same time. It's very possible some of them are on "stand by," only to be thawed out if the existing people die or have to be killed or otherwise aren't cooperative.

All Pilcher's technicians would have to do would be to capture a voicemail on the day the people were kidnapped and frozen, and then have that programmed in the event a phone is used to dial out. Although... this begs the question of why they didn't just find a way to orient everybody to accept the truth. I don't buy that everybody would have a nervous breakdown discovering they were 2000 years in the future.

A bigger question: I'd like to know how they had computers back in 2014 that had data that could survive for 2000 years and still work in 4028. Hell, I have trouble retrieving data from drives that are 10 years old, or floppy disks that are 20 years old. In 2000+ years, that stuff is gonna be mud.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    JimC and bopdd like this.
  14. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I put "volunteered" in quotations to imply that they weren't necessarily the ones doing the volunteering. Drafted is indeed a better word.

But are you implying that even back in 2014 that Pilcher was anticipating the shape things would take 2000 years later? Why do you think he anticipated the need to lie to the subjects?

Vidiot likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Yes, I think we're about to find out that Pilcher was an extremely wealthy man who calculated all the worldwide climate, economic, political, and other conditions and determined that things were doomed to crash in the next 50 years or so, so he immediately started preparing for it.

Pilcher did explain to Dillon that one kid came home and explained to his family the truth of where and when they were, and the mother, father, and kids were herded into the garage and they all willingly gassed themselves to death. I agree it's a weak explanation, but given that they were cutting the throats of uncooperative villagers, it's clear that Pilcher is stubborn, shortsighted, and wrong about a lot of things. Hard to argue with somebody like that who apparently has many billions of dollars and lots of degrees.

JimC and bopdd like this.
  16. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Ethan didn't hear the story of asphyxiation, but his son did, right?

17. Vidiot

Yes. What basically happened in the show is that Ethan (Dillon), his wife, and the son all learned similar facts about the truth of Wayward Pines at about the same time. Each knows things the other doesn't know. The question will be if they share their information with each other.

I'm convinced the series will end with Dillon gathering all the townspeople together and spilling the beans -- not to cause dissent, but just to be open and honest. We'll see if this comes to pass.

JimC likes this.
  18. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Did my DVR miss recording this week's episode? I got nothing.

19. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Pilcher - "God" complex.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    Vidiot likes this.
  20. jsayers

They skipped a week - they said they would <see ya in 2 weeks!> in the previews at the end of episode 5.

Coricama likes this.
  21. Drew

Drew Senior Member

As a computer and electronic geek I usually point out the potential failures of technology in TV shows like this but Vidiot has done this rather well. Actually... I like the fact that each episode seems to push the story forward so I'm looking past a lot of things.

In a strange way this is beginning to remind me less and less of Twin Peaks and more like a strange twist on Asimov's Foundation books. Pilcher = Hari Seldon.

22. Vidiot

Yes, this is not a show that has any padding in it that I can see. Every episode is chock-full of new stuff and it clearly keeps moving forward at a rapid pace. At the least, it's not boring.

JimC likes this.
  23. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I think that was the teacher explaining to the kids why they should not share the orientation info with their parents. I don't think we have heard Pilcher's explanation yet. The need for secrecy and the fake community is by far this biggest problem I'm having. So far it feels more like, they just needed conflict and mystery at the beginning of the story and didn't mind using flimsy methods to get it. I'm still waiting for it tie together in a way that actually "works". I have not given up yet but it's on a very short leash.

Vidiot likes this.
  24. jsayers

I believe Pilcher is a little forthcoming on this week's episode. Hope he makes you happy! ;)

25. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

[QUOTE="HiredGoon, post: 12482147, member: 26169"

Hmmm ... a gated community, containing the "chosen people", ruled over by some omniscient savior from 2000 years ago enforcing a strict morality, while the outside world is full of abnormal primitive savages ... nope, no kind of allegory there.

--Geoff[/QUOTE]

No way you will not make Wayward Pines home :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.