Wayward Pines (new M. Night Shyamalan TV series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

An absolute knockout episode tonight. So many reveals, my head was spinning. Many, many answers revealed, prompting even more questions. Unless this goes firmly off the rails in the next couple of shows, I officially love the show now. Some of the revelations (like Plan A vs. Plan B) knocked me sideways.

I just had a very funny thought: what if Pilcher is wrong, and during the 2000 years his group was sleeping, a huge chunk of humanity got in a spaceship and took off for a new home on another planet in deep space? He'd never know about it, since they've been out all this time.

2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

After waiting 2 whole weeks for last night's episode, the broadcast was filled with glitches every few seconds so badly I couldn't watch it. I'll have to watch it on On Demand or online as soon as it shows up - VERY frustrating! :cussing:

3. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

What's your source (Dish, Cable, OTA), and station? Just curious what would have caused that.

4. jsayers

Xfinity cable - it was very strange and has never happened before - it was like someone was purposely jamming the signal.

5. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I was headed into the "this is stupid" camp until "Plan B". And now it makes sense why they are trying to do it the way they are, but things are going to change...

Vidiot likes this.
  6. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Look at how much ground this show has covered in half of it's episodes. There are still four episodes left - lots of time for big things to happen. I think ultimately the Kate/husband/delivery dude rebellion isn't going to be the major focus of the remaining four episodes. I think there's still something big coming. If anyone has read Hugh Howey's Silo saga (highly recommended!) you may know where I feel like things may be going.

7. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I think that the show is decent. That said it's "shocking" reveals are too choreographed and well, not shocking. I think it's been working better when it's not obviously going out of its way to try and throw the audience. It's funny though. I watched Under the Dome from the beginning and watch it go all over the map in terms of tone and plot (and generally get worse) and see that its third season started last night at the same time.

8. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

Better episode this week for sure. Group A vs. Group B helps a lot with the premise. However, it's a pretty big stretch to jump from total truth to just leaving Group B to figure out on their own how to fit-in, in what they must assume is some sort of prison. Clearly this method is also big trouble. There are still secrete escape plots and it got the previous Sheriff killed. After that happened, they turn things over to the guy that did the killing with no orientation and with full knowledge that he is still trying to escape. That's an interesting way to go.....

The overall plot is working better now but the methods early-on are still very shaky. I think it falls under the category....you're not supposed to think too hard about that part. It's moving along well enough now that I will try not to worry too much about the sloppiness that got us here.

9. jsayers

Just watched it online and it was very good indeed. I guess the folks plotting to break out don't know <or believe> what's waiting for them on the other side of the fence. It's interesting that now Matt D will have to try and stop them instead of joining them!
    Wonder what the deal is with that plot 33? Hmmm......

Edit - I LOVED the part where it showed how Pilcher recruited Sheriff Pope - Terrence Howard is such a good actor - he says a lot just by his expressions. It was funny seeing him "persuading" his first abductee/recruit!

Vidiot likes this.
  10. I've liked this series a great deal but Pilcher's revelations felt a little clumsy to me. The mechanics of what he claimed would require such massive planning and oversight that even most national governments would have a difficult time pulling it off over 2000 years.

11. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

One thing that bugs me, with the whole "Group A" thing. What about all the volunteers. They are dealing with it just fine, why don't they just become the "Group"?

12. jsayers

They built and maintain the complex and the town. Plus they are all adults, probably without children/families. Children are what Pilcher is interested in for the future of WP/human civilization. Remember Pope said to Pilcher that he just had a dog. Just what Pilcher wanted to hear, probably <although he surely knew that already>.

13. I've noticed that two different (sets of) increasingly unpopular directors have turned to TV after a string of box office bombs...and that the marketing for these TV shows do not have their names anywhere in the (subway) ad (Shyamalan and the Watchkowskis). Just an observation.

EDIT: this refers to NYC subways ads only.

14. Vidiot

I always love it when I have huge plot objections to a TV series' story, and boom, they immediately address my problem and answer it. That totally shuts me up. I really admire that they set us up for saying, "but hey! Why don't you just tell everybody what's going on?" And then you find out exactly why.

Yep, that's a big problem. Also, who the F could survive just living underground for years and years and years without going nuts? Do they get an all-expenses-paid vacation to the Caribbean every few months?

I still say Pilcher is a schmuck for not giving people the Internet (even a fake one), some kind of TV, a 24-hour radio station, a movie theater, music, and pets.

15. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Great episode this week. The episodes feel like they are 10 minutes long it has me so engrossed. It really cleared up about all my questions this week. They have really made a nice turn with Ethan's character, and took me along with him.

The plot 33 angle is interesting.

Is this the M. Night return to form we fans have been waiting for?

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Vidiot

What if somebody with the wealth of (say) Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates did this? I guarantee you, anybody with $40 billion could pull something like this off. All it takes is cash, time, and lots of effort.

17. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

If I was Matt Dillon's son and I had that hottie draped all over me.....the last thing I
    would be thinking about is getting out of Wayward Pines!

18. jsayers

I think he's bummed because he's having to keep a big secret from his parents, plus just coming to grips with the entire situation. I don't think he wants out - he knows what's out there!

Soon everyone will - including that group of citizens that want to blow their way out - wonder if they will break a hole in the wall before they realize the havoc that it will cause.

19. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

I have the idea that she received instructions to cozy up to the son.

20. jsayers

I agree - she was on a mission for sure.

21. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I've watched all the episodes and it may have crossed the line into the "too stupid" category for me. Actually, I didn't know whether I should laugh at Pilcher's story, or take him seriously. Yikes! Its got the same believability level as a James Bond plot.

I can't believe people think this is good.

Scotian and Deesky like this.
  22. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Well, you need a lot of experts and people with know-how who are good with kidnapping and freezing people. Like I said, this happens in James Bond movies. Not my concept of believable.

zobalob likes this.
  23. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Actually, I think there WAS a street scene with a movie house in the background. IIRC, it had "Our Town" on the marquee....pretty funny, that.

Vidiot likes this.
  24. Vidiot

I wonder if they're showing film and not digital? ;)

You're always free to change the channel.

25. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.