We are entering a golden age if 2015-2016 is any indication

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

What was the title of this thread again?

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  2. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

I'll speak for myself. If you've lived long enough and listened to enough music, almost nothing is new anymore. I still seek out new music, but so much of what is referred to as "amazing" and "incredible" turns out to be a retread of something that has gone before or just not very inspired (in my opinion). I've checked out the various 2015 year-end lists, just in case I've missed something, and very rarely find anything that leaps out at me. This is supposed to be the best of the best? I don't consider myself jaded, I've just heard too much to think that something is "amazing" just because they've put some little twist on the Velvet Underground or folk psych or noise or new wave or whatever this week's retro fascination is. It's not a brave new world. There's talent out there, to be sure, but it's all about what you do with the talent. I hear some interesting things now and then, but let's be honest... how many consistently great songwriter/performers are there today? Who today is so great that there is no holding them back from breaking out and unexpectedly grabbing and holding the consciousness of millions? You can name dozens of bands and people who did that between 1955 and the 90's. Name one who has done it in the past 15 years?

By the way, I've always hated "Hotel California."

3. PassionPlay

PassionPlay Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I didn't realize Miranda Lee Richard's had a new album coming out until I read the OP's post. I still have her first album theherethereafter in regular rotation. Listening to her new one on SoundCloud this am.

4. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

you know - this sort of falls into "if a tree falls in the woods" territory - people were complaining 20 years ago about the lack of good bands (nothing compared to now...) - and I would always say "there are good bands in the clubs" - though now you could just modify that to "there are good bands on Youtube" - but - in reality.... if something doesn't reach the public consciousness - it just doesn't count - you could have the best album ever - but - if only 25 thousand people ever hear it - this period of music - in the public consciousness at least - will be remembered for a lot of dance music - a lot of songs with women singing in some weird 1930s- bluegrass sort of voice - very-watered down hip-hop (see "dance music" plus perhaps Kanye) bro-country - and whatever EARWORMS have effected the general population via CAR COMMERCIALS (I swear - people hear 20 seconds of something 100 times - then the actual song comes out - everybody goes "I LOVE that song" - only having heard half the chorus or something .....) - a few interesting acts from this period will eventually reach cult status - or one of their songs will be put in a car commercial in another 2o years -but - in reality - when droves of people can't name ONE current band (or at best - someone will say Coldplay or Foo Fighters) - it just doesn't count - on the big scale of things ....if nobody is talking about you - or listening to you - its the tree in the woods....does it make a sound?

Kid A and INSW like this.
  5. Jimbo912

Jimbo912 Forum Resident

From the OPs list , Jacco Gardner is something I'm really liking.

6. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

My pleasure..FYI.. I go that from NPR's best of 2015 list. I was blown away too.

7. ServingTheMusic

Thanks!

8. ServingTheMusic

Melody Di Biaso is absolutely one of my favorite releases from last year. Thanks for mentioning her.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Actually, it's not "total bs." I suspect that many of the Forum members formed their expectations listening to radio when they were young during the 60's and 70's. You're absolutely incorrect when you say Top 40 radio had always "belonged to the kids". That just wasn't the case in the 1960's and in many markets in the 1970's as well. In the 60's top 40 radio covered a wide variety of music and was listened to by music fans of various ages. The reason is fairly simple - cable didn't exist so all popular music was heard primarily on terrestrial AM stations and bandwidth was limited so there weren't very many stations. Top 40 radio was rich and varied - take a look at the Top 20 Billboard singles of 1968. I was too young to be listening at the time, but that is an amazing 20 songs - the variety of genres is astounding. Does that excuse their unwillingness to understand how to find good music today? Maybe not. But I can understand perfectly why they would lament the state of top 40 radio. I really do think that before calling someone's viewpoint "total bs", you need to understand the historical context and the personal experience that might explain their thinking.

1 "Hey Jude" The Beatles
    2 "Love is Blue" Paul Mauriat
    3 "Honey" Bobby Goldsboro
    4 "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay" Otis Redding
    5 "People Got to Be Free" The Rascals
    6 "Sunshine of Your Love" Cream
    7 "This Guy's in Love With You" Herb Alpert
    8 "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" Hugo Montenegro
    9 "Mrs. Robinson" Simon & Garfunkel
    10 "Tighten Up" Archie Bell & the Drells
    11 "Harper Valley PTA" Jeannie C. Riley
    12 "Little Green Apples" O. C. Smith
    13 "Mony Mony" Tommy James and the Shondells
    14 "Hello, I Love You" The Doors
    15 "Young Girl" Gary Puckett & The Union Gap
    16 "Cry Like a Baby" The Box Tops
    17 "Stoned Soul Picnic" The 5th Dimension
    18 "Grazing in the Grass" Hugh Masekela
    19 "Midnight Confessions" The Grass Roots
    20 "Dance to the Music" Sly & the Family Stone

10. ServingTheMusic

The Greenwood album really hooked me. I guess a parallel for this from the past is George Harrison's championing of Indian music in the 60s and 70s.

Mr Bass likes this.
  11. ServingTheMusic

He does!!!

12. ServingTheMusic

Wow! Sneaky!

13. ServingTheMusic

Yes, true...a few of his releases are much more polished and stacked.

14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I DO like that girl's voice in Alabama Shakes.... does THAT count?

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If you don't check out the internet, you'll miss Courtney Barnett rocking her lefty Telecaster. Rock and roll, it appears, is alive and well. So great.

16. Went across the pond last summer and got into an The Unthanks concert. You're correct to have them on this list. Astounding group.

17. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

In comparrison. This weeks Billboard top 40

FEBRUARY 13, 2016

Justin Bieber[/paste:font]

Selena Gomez[/paste:font]

Digital Gainer

Hands To Myself
    Selena Gomez

Airplay Gainer

Love Yourself
    Justin Bieber

Hot Shot Debut

Work
    Rihanna Featuring Drake

2Last Week: 1

Sorry
    Justin Bieber

3Last Week: 4

Stressed Out
    twenty one pilots

4Last Week: 3

Hello
    Adele

5Last Week: 12

My House
    Flo Rida

6Last Week: 8

Roses
    The Chainsmokers Featuring ROZES

WATCH
    Selena Gomez[/paste:font]

8Last Week: 7

Same Old Love
    Selena Gomez

WATCH

New
    9Last Week: --

Work
    Rihanna Featuring Drake

10Last Week: 5

Here
    Alessia Cara

WATCH
    Shawn Mendes[/paste:font]

WATCH

12Last Week: 16

Me, Myself & I
    G-Eazy x Bebe Rexha

13Last Week: 13

In The Night
    The Weeknd

14Last Week: 9

Hotline Bling
    Drake

WATCH

15Last Week: 11

Like I'm Gonna Lose You
    Meghan Trainor Featuring John Legend

WATCH

16Last Week: 15

Don't
    Bryson Tiller

WATCH

17Last Week: 10

What Do You Mean?
    Justin Bieber

WATCH

18Last Week: 22

Cake By The Ocean
    DNCE

Post Malone[/paste:font]

20Last Week: 14

Jumpman
    Drake & Future

18. I almost didn't click because I thought it was a cover of the one Gene Clark song that I loathe. :winkgrin:

19. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

It is to me. Perhaps more so.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Just because a large number people have not heard something does not mean it is not good. History tells us that the most innovative and lasting music (any art) is not recognised as such, or even heard at the time of it's genesis, except by a few clued up or lucky people.

It used to take decades for innovative music to move into the arena of general or mass public consciousness. You could argue that the internet makes that process faster but I'm beginning to doubt that – as each website, youtube video, blog becomes like an obscure club operating in the fringes of 1960's subcultures. Too many to find or know. Also, given the way microgenres proliferate today we do not have a chance to hear all of it, let alone really listen.

I'm willing to bet that really innovative music is often/usually ignored at first just because we are so unprepared for it. So, it's quite hard to recognise when something new, interesting, longlasting is taking place because most of us do understand what is being done until much later and we are not part of the subculture that produced it. We dismiss things as ugly, stupid, crass because they do not fit our current preconditions for recognising beauty and so, the intelligence/idea behind such innovations is often missed.

21. ServingTheMusic

Absolutely love them. i am jealous you got to see them in person!!!

22. ServingTheMusic

Just to add my two cents..no body bought Tim Buckley records..but he is without a doubt one of most gifted geniuses of the last two centuries.

23. ServingTheMusic

To the point of artists being able to reach mass audiences today....it is virtually impossible for unknown artists do so.

The Monterey Pop Festival launched the career of dozens of 60s icons like Janis, and even exposed Hendrix to US audiences
    for the first time.

The Woodstock movie made Santana and Joe Cocker OVERNIGHT massive stars.

There is no way that can happen today. Little known artists don't get these types of opportunities except via
    American Idol type shows which focus only on vocals.

The Super Bowl half time show may be the only way to reach millions in one shot but the paradox is you have to be
    a household name.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  24. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

2015 was an incredible year for music. I had about 30 albums I wanted to put in my top ten list. 2014 was good. 2013 was better than 2014.

I agree it's been a solid past couple years. But in no way is it revolutionary or anything like any three year period in the '80s.

25. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Maybe if you're into mainstream music. But if you did dig for it "back in the day", that's where the true treasures were.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.