We are entering a golden age if 2015-2016 is any indication

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoTime806

NoTime806 Forum Resident

Holy smoke, some of you folks need to either brush up on your comprehension or stop twisting other peoples words.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  2. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I wonder if people who shut off to modern music are the same way towards cinema. I mean, Citizen Kane is 75 years ago, Revolver and Pet Sounds are but a youthful 50 years ago.... yet I bet you enjoy modern cinema without pondering before you see a even a second of it where in 75 years it will stand next to Casablanca and Citizen Kane, right? :uhhuh:

3. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Jack White has cited numerous guitar/drum duos that inspired him (but if the Black Keys are any indication, he will not stand for people copying him, because it was his idea to do a guitar/drums duo... guy's a great player but man can he get on yer nerves). However, you are correct, he and Meg came about at a time when rock needed something fresh, and apparently raw, unpolished garage rock with a catchy but equally minimalist style was just what it needed. As far as I know, that's the last time that a "revolution" was needed, but at least it proves that old ideas can become new again.

With the Old Border, I'm probably their unofficial "biggest fan", i.e. they're probably afraid of me, but I have talked with them a few times and they're very happy to have their name spread around. If you like them, it would do them a huge favor to tell people about them. They only have eighteen released tracks, some of which are duplicates (live in studio vs. proper studio recording) and a few covers. Their YouTube channel has some good videos of them playing live in their rehearsal space, plus the video for their first single.

4. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

The worst part is that their musical world doesn't go much earlier than the British Invasion either. The Golden Age of early Rock, the Golden Age of Jazz in the '40s~'50s, the Golden Age of Folk Blues in the '20s~'30s, not to mention Classical... nothing registers.

The Classic Rock Era is the entire universe to these people. Any other point of view is naive, incorrect or delusional. Imagine how drab and depressing that must be.

5. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good synopsis. Of course, there have probably been numerous guitar/drum duos, especially in the south, before electric bass was even invented...but none got on MTV i am guessing.

No worries..i geek out to far too many bands...hopefully i have not scared any of them yet....

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  6. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Wow, that's really wrong.

Vinyl_Blues and NoTime806 like this.
  7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I'm just going by their posts on this forum. Never a mention of anything outside of The Rock Era. Ever.

Bowieboy likes this.
  8. NoTime806

NoTime806 Forum Resident

Get triggered, my friend.

9. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Because the OP compared his current recommendations to 65/66. Naturally most of us assumed he was referring to the rock era.

I think its great if someone else thinks the art or entertainment they like is comparable to what is generally agreed upon to be a golden era. Just about everything I've seen posted on this thread, however, seems like it comes from obscurity aficiandos.

Again, nothing wrong with that, but you do have to forgive some of us for rolling our eyes.

leeroy jenkins, Vinyl_Blues and bopdd like this.
  10. ServingTheMusic

"Obscurity Afficionados". That is genius! Seriously, either a great band name or moniker.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    Tristero and Bowieboy like this.
  11. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Twenty dollars and it's your's.

12. ServingTheMusic

Deal.:frog:

13. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

By many of the posts I've read, apparently there is. I think I'll go crap on a Beatles thread now. :winkgrin:

14. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Actually, I'll waive the charge if you promise not to use the word "sublime" anymore.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Jimmy Haskell was the goddamn golden age!

jahndhi likes this.
  16. ServingTheMusic

:)
    Fair emough. I need another word then. Majestic? Awe-Inspiring? Maybe splendid.

17. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Okay, I'll bite. What's an obscurity aficionado when it's at home, then?

18. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Based on the music you called sublime, I suggest " mostly listenable".

19. ServingTheMusic

Tsk,tsk..and you were doing so well...:shh:

20. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I haven't been well since I listened to King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard.

21. NoTime806

NoTime806 Forum Resident

Shots fired.

22. strummer101

23. ServingTheMusic

You bet...lots of Early Hawkwind and even some Tangerine Dream..and of course...Floyd.

24. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Listing a bunch of music one likes or finds brilliant does not equate to an "age" of anything substantial (except maybe the "age of personal opinion")--it almost feels based on some misguided conviction that "ages" can be willed into existence as opposed to occurring naturally.

goodiesguy and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  25. strummer101

Here's some more newer music for anyone who may be interested.

Night Beats, "The New World"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.