We are entering a golden age if 2015-2016 is any indication

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have not listened to radio for 14 years. I used to love WFUV in new york when i lived there.

2. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Here is the title track from How I Won The War by the Grip Weeds. A concept album in 2015. Who'da thunk it?

3. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I wasn't born until the late 70s but even the way it was in the late 80s/early 90s I liked. I remember back in 1991 you could hear C&C Music Factory and Metallica back to back radio and MTV, even when MTV still played music until 97-98, I thought it was cool when they would play Nine Inch Nails and Toni Braxton together. Granted, I had my fave artists and stuff I didn't care for, but I never understood why genres are supposed to be shielded and segregated from each other. You can hear it in many artists whose formative years were those days when it wasn't considered weird to like both Whitney Houston and Guns N Roses. Its weird to see those who can't enjoy both in my eyes lol

4. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I liked baseball 50 years ago.
    I liked pizza 50 years ago.
    I liked rock and roll 50 years ago.

I still like to watch a well-played baseball game. If a certain game is not enjoyable to watch, it's not because it's 2016.
    I still like to eat a delicious pizza. If the pizza is not delicious, it's not because it's 2016
    I still like to listen to today's rock and roll. If I hear something I don't like, it's not because it's 2016.

Olompali, eddiel, strummer101 and 2 others like this.
  5. NoTime806

NoTime806 Forum Resident

Lay off the Rachel Maddow, friend. Song is also not good btw.

6. ServingTheMusic

I like this...a lot.

7. ServingTheMusic

Says who?

8. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

well it wasn't recorded in 1971... :yikes:

ibanez_ax likes this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I mentioned why in an earlier post. Both radio and audiences are to blame. I really started to hear it in the late 70s when "classic" rock and disco stations emerged. And, throughout the 60s and 70s, you still had country, R&B, jazz, and AC formats. I'd say it's a growing intolerance of different music. Remember, even music video wasn't immune to this. Many people protested MTV in the early 80s because Bob Pittman refused to play R&B hits, or most music by Blacks. He famously said that White kids in the suburbs didn't want to see Black faces. And, then you had BET playing all R&B videos. It took the immense popularity of Rick James, Prince, and Michael Jackson to help break down the barriers. When that happened, MTV created "Yo! MTV Raps!", and "Headbanger's Ball". Those two shows became the most popular on the network until they started doing "reality shows". But, they knew that there were audiences that only wanted to hear one kind of music.
    It is my opinion that most pop/rock/R&B music today has suffered because of the younger generation only being exposed to one type of music. The interesting thing is modern country, where the artists were/are exposed to many different genres, and the music they make reflects that. The problem is that it has all but obliterated traditional country music.

10. Grant

I happen to like Rachel Maddow. Don't get this thread shut down over partisan politics.

ralphb and Bowieboy like this.
  11. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

Yeah. Kind of an obvious attempt at sabotage there. Troll baits the thread with politics, thread gets shut down, troll can go on pretending it's 1973.

Bowieboy likes this.
  12. Grant

I don't think it's an attempt at sabotage. I think it's a way for someone to edge in their politics. What that does, though, is encourage others to assert their likes or dislikes, and before you know it, the thread has turned political.

Bowieboy likes this.
  13. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

That is true. Country is one genre where the blending has actually killed it. You have male country artists who know more Bon Jovi than Willie and female country stars who want to be Britney more than Patsy. Pop has diluted it, and the irony is that "real" country music is practically considered alternative music today simply because Chris Stapleton, Kacey Musgraves or Sturgill Simpson dare actually use banjos and steel drums in their music and not try to channel their inner Steven Tyler.

Speaking of alternative, some of the most interesting things today are coming from the artists who grew up in a time where they were exposed to so many different artists in their musical DNA that they are essentially genre-less. Tame Impala comes to mind, Kevin Parker has acknowledged he's just as influenced by Michael Jackson as he is Kurt Cobain, and they're making some killer music right now because he and some other acts are using their musical childhood experiences into making some very interesting music. Even in hip hop, Death Grips is pretty much all over the board musically, those guys admit that as 90s kids, grunge was a big part of their DNA just like hip hop.

Grant likes this.
  14. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

Intentional or not, it's a colossally crappy way to shut down a thread whose only sin was enjoying new music.

Grant and Gaslight like this.
  15. NoTime806

NoTime806 Forum Resident

Woah, settle down friends. It was just an obvious remark to his response, but hey, you guys sure know how to kill a thread with accusations. I give you guys points for that.

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think these guys need to stop listening to "Tommy."

17. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I'm sure you all have been hearing about Kanye West, and his new album coming out some time soon (he said it would come out the 12th but it didn't drop). Given the fact that I don't listen to much new music, and I caught the hype at the right time, I decided to give his newly released track '30 Hours' (which will be on the album) a listen. Now I must say, I'm not a fan of West, or hip hop in general (I like some. Kanye's delivery in particular never sounded great to me, and of course his arrogance off the record turned me away) but this track is actually quite good. The backing rhythm is smoky and dark, the chorus broods, it flows with a soulful, melancholic delivery. If the album shares in the same atmosphere it could actually be up there with 'To Pimp A Butterfly" which was revolutionarily conscious enough to separate it from its peers.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  18. ServingTheMusic

Lol..yes...clearly a strong Who influence...

19. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

I saw Kanye open for U2 once. I spent the following two hours hoping Kanye would come back out.

JohnnyQuest and bcaulf like this.
  20. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I think you may have just hospitalized a bunch of people by daring praise Kanye, since they still believe hip hop music is a fad even though 1979 (when Rapper's Delight came out) was 37 years ago lol

ralphb likes this.
  21. SF Georgie

SF Georgie Forum Resident

I feel like that about Kanye, but for the opposite reason.

22. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

That's just your subjective opinion. You can invert it into its complete opposite, and that opinion would be just as valid as yours. Try to prove to someone who isn't of your own musical mentality which album or song is "better" - the one from 1965 that you think is a lot better or the one from 2015 that the other person prefers. It would be near impossible because music is not a sports competition, it's not about historical significance, or sales numbers, or how many notes a second a guitarist can play. It's about what floats your boat, and those things are different for different people.

Musical "eras" are not there to compete with each other for supremacy - they are just there to be absorbed and enjoyed (or disliked). Musically, there's just as much to enjoy in 1965, as there is in 2015 - that's as clear as day to me.

Grant and wolfram like this.
  23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I was shocked on another forum when an audiophile with a very expensive system, probably not $500,000 though, said he only owned a dozen albums.

24. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Like they say YMMV.

I'm not even going to address the Rachel Maddow comment.

25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

They wear their influences on their sleeves. The Who, The Beatles, The Byrds. It all comes together nicely on their albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.