We are entering a golden age if 2015-2016 is any indication

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donfrance

Donfrance As honest as a politician.

I'm not to keen on: Son Little. It's to empty for me. The Trixie Whitley album is okay-ish, not a fan but if it's on, I won't replace it with something else.
    Anderson Paak- Malibu. Lovely to listen to. Again, nothing very original but groovy to say the least. Nicely filled songs, lots of little noises without being annoying. I'm not a particular R&B fan or rap-aholic but this was a pleasure for the ears.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  2. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

the music splintered into too many specific categories, that's why a person can't hear it all in the same place. what was the cause of the splintering?

3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

And Loving it.

4. Got autographs too :D

5. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Would like someone to come up a list with 4 current acts that have the musical and cultural significance that these acts had at the time of that chart listing in 1968. :)
    The Beatles
    The Doors
    Sly & The Family Stone
    Cream

Kid A and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  6. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Now I hate you. :D
    Actually that is very cool..I heard they were very sweet girls.

Hutch likes this.
  7. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I regularly go through end of year top lists (e.g. The Wire, Quietus) and make sure I heard 10-20 new albums. Most of it I find dull, a some of it interesting, but generally I buy things and then get bored after a few listens, stick it in the outtray. Little of it really sticks. Mainly I'm bewildered how little of it is cutting new ground. I'm sure there is interesting stuff out there but it is not in the top 100 lists. It's still deep underground.

I'm surprised (still?) how boring the electronica is that pervades the top twenties. A genre bound by the limits of it's very form. Quite conservative. And yet this stuff time and time again goes up there ahead of anything less obviously 'listenable', even in the lists of those who support new or experimental music.

I can only think of a handful of recent new artists in the pop/rock/experimental world that interest me. The description experimental is now meaningless and more often that not a sign of something to avoid.

Where is the difficult, ugly, annoying music with hidden thoughtful beauty? The music that John Cage might be proud of.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Not sure about John Cage, but John Cale might like what Anna von Hausswolff has been doing, some similarities to Nico, dark and at times beautiful, and sometimes a little ugly too, I thought The Miraculous last year was great, link to a song in my signature line. It's the album closer, so not quite as adventurous as what comes before, but a taste ...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  9. ServingTheMusic

Let me say that I have welcomed all posts on this thread, even ones that have differing views, as some made
    some excellent points.

Vinyl_Blues and JL6161 like this.
  10. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Make no mistake about it, NPR and other news/talk radio does have its own demographics and sponsors that it has to answer to. Just ask Juan Williams.

11. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

This is one of my favorite arguments against new music that I see here on the regular. It's hilarious that people think those of us who listen to current music don't recognize which artists influenced them, or that we think this music is groundbreaking and revolutionary.

It's up there with "rock ended in 1977" for ludicrousness.

PHILLYQ likes this.
  12. Danby Delight

"Music was in the AIR, maaaaannnn! You don't know! You weren't there! I WAS THERE!"

Another great old forum favorite.

13. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I spose I should think how 'behind the times' I am when I look at the OPs list and don't really know any of them 'cept David Bowie and maybe one or two more.

But....I have so much older music I have to catch up to..that I don't feel I'm missing anything current. Surely there's stuff I'd enjoy, but I prefer old methods of recording AND the styles and innovations of music from the past.

If I was in the new, today's music, youth generation...it'd most likely be different. I'd be hearing what was NEW to me, as I'd not have had the listening experience of 50+ years to discriminate. I go back to the early 50s now thru, generally, the early 90s in my treasure hunts. Lots and lots of stuff there, as well as today's music, but I just plain prefer to dig for archaelogical finds.

If I still worked in a 'record store' I'd most likely play much of what's on the OPs list. It'd be right at hand. I don't stream, nor have any way to listen to my music except thru my cd player...so I only play what I physically gather. And I get enough each week or two to keep myself satisfied. Plus listening to the thousands of cd's I've collected for 35 years, it's like listening NEW again and I've never lost interest. I like watching old movies too, multiple times, and never get bored. Lots of those to catch up on too.

Vinyl_Blues and Buggyhair like this.
  14. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I sampled the first 6 or 7 from the OP's list and there wasn't anything there that I would ever want to hear again. I didn't see any reason to continue - we just don't have the same taste. Nothing wrong with that. So, does that mean I don't like new music?

These threads with people listing a bunch of albums and proclaiming music is great now because of these records are just as annoying as the "nothing will ever compare to my favorites from the '60s" threads.

It's cool that you're into this stuff, but back off of the exaggerations a little bit.

goodiesguy, Buggyhair and jmczaja like this.
  15. Whole band was very cool. Hopefully they make their way to the US soon. They said they were trying. So keep an eye out.

16. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I think we're really just seeing the results of a multi-decade polarizing shift in wealth-and-resource distribution among working musicians fairly similar to the one that has occurred in general income and social class (at least in the US), although probably even more extreme/pronounced.

I.e., a Taylor Swift, an Adele, a Gaga, and bajillions of Mitskis and Auroras with not all that much in between.

17. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

Just as a few other have mentioned and as an eclectic music lover, I sampled a few of the artists listed and nothing spoke to me whatsoever. I'm glad you found some new music that you're digging! I wouldn't proclaim a 'golden age' though.

18. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

It's the Internet. Create your own golden age.

PHILLYQ likes this.
  19. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

You have a working computer? Plenty of radio stations you can listen to online.

20. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I don't have internet at home. I used to listen while out in Salt Lake, to our local independent radio that DID play a total mix of brand new and very old, and everything in between. It was commercial free and not influenced by advertisers.

I have plenty and plenty of cd's and am getting more and more as time goes on so I play those. I just haven't had a need for more than that. I'm satisfied, unlike many out there who feel THE NEED to listen to music of today. I don't mind my personal music existence. :) Actually, I'm embrace it !

PHILLYQ likes this.
  21. ServingTheMusic

I hope so. When asked about US tours previously they said they could not justify it due to low demand.

22. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

There was a better time for music. Accept it. Is your knee-jerk poo-pooing any less ludicrous as what you mock? There's certainly no substance behind it.

23. Danby Delight

I don't disagree that it was a glorious time. I just think it's funny that people have to go out of their way to denigrate current music just because they don't care anymore. Why does it bother people that other people do listen to current music as well as the music of various prior golden eras? It does you no harm if I'm listening to Savages instead of the Doors.

24. Unfortunately they aren't well known. I had heard of them but I wasn't aware they were so big in Europe until I went there and caught the gig. A shame but at least they don't have to worry about trying to please American pop charts and can continue making great music and putting on great live shows.
    That said, usually, UK acts can at least make it to the East Coast US because the smaller states in tiny cluster are easier to tour than the West Coast.

25. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

I care a lot, which is why I even bother to think about these things and comment on them. There's nobody who wishes more that we really were in another golden age. I'd LOVE to have a lot of new, great stuff to listen to. On the other hand, I'm totally willing to admit that, like most people, I'm a little stuck in the past when it comes to what I like. Thing affect us for psychological reasons that are related to our past and make a connection to a feeling that we want to feel again. I like some new bands who I think are doing some really quality stuff, but in all honesty they're not moving the needle musically. They just happen to have something that connects to what I already appreciate from when my tastes were formed.

goodiesguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.