We got it all on UHF (Weird Al Yankovic movie and music video)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jbmcb, May 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just showed my 11 year old son this movie and he loved it. Huge hit with me and my friends growing up, and some of the gags are still funny today (Al is an amazing songwriter.)

Anyways, I never realized they made a music video for the title song, and it's a cornucopia of 80's music video pastiches. I figured out all of them except the one where they are dressed up in white tuxedos walking down the steps. See if you can figure them out:

"Disconnect the phone, leave the dishes in the sink,
    put away your homework, prime time ain't no time to think..."

*Amazing* songwriter :)

Curious Breeze, EVOLVIST and pdenny like this.
  2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Anyone who watched MTV in its heyday should get a scream out of this. Wonder if they played it? I have it on an old Weird Al compilation DVD.

3. maclen

maclen Senior Member

I have a feeling somebody here will be able to answer that one. :winkgrin:

4. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Ha! I saw this opening weekend in the theater. Would pay full price to see it again!

Curious Breeze likes this.
  5. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Here is the answer to your question about the tuxes (I think!)

6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I just bought this on HDX digital at Vudu for $7 during a recent sale. Great movie in the screwball comedy tradition. I love how it sends up typical 80's comedy movies. I remember hearing that it tanked at the box office and the experience put Al in a depression for months. I've always wanted to shake his hand and tell him he made an great movie no matter what anyone said at the time. :)

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

One of the best cult movies of all time. It deserved to do better but it was up against Batman, Indiana Jones, and Robocop 2 that Summer, so...

Curious Breeze likes this.
  8. jbmcb

No, I knew that one (that album is in permanent rotation in my car.)

It's the short clip of four guys in white tuxedos walking down some stairs, shows up in between the White Wedding and Mediate videos at the bridge. I thought it was Puttin On The Ritz by Taco, but that's not it. Someone in the YouTube comments claims it's a Bee Gees video, though I can't figure out which one.

9. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I always thought it was a reference to Magical Mystery Tour.
    Sorry, I turned it into a Beatles thread, I know.....

Dan

longdist01 and jbmcb like this.
  10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's Magical Mystery Tour.

jbmcb likes this.
  11. jbmcb

Your Mother Should Know. Crap, that's it, I should have remembered that one. Thanks!

longdist01 and Vidiot like this.
  12. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Um, ok. :)

Dan

13. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

RoboCop 2 was 1990.

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oops! Wel, I'm sure the word-of-mouth kept people anticipated enough to wait to see that, and... :)

15. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

One of the greatest films ever made. Saw this with my buddy Jason, the biggest Weird Al fan I knew growing up.

We also went to see No Holds Barred when it came out and did the wave when Hogan popped thru the top of the limo(*) - even 30 years ago, we somehow managed to be hipsters doing things ironically.

* - No one else noticed. I did not need both hands to count the total number of attendees in the theater, and if memory serves, fewer were there when the ending credits rolled than there were for the opening.

MikeInFla likes this.
  16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Rip 'Em! :)

MikeInFla and jimbutsu like this.
  17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I saw Robocop 2 in the theater on my last day of 8th grade, last day as a middle schooler. TV crews were standing by after the showing and interviewed us kids asking what we thought of it. Was Robocop really that big a deal? Anyway, I think I said "it was awesome", though how awesome could it be if I have absolutely no recollection of it?

"UHF" I also saw in the theater and I've always loved it. I was a Weird Al fan so I was certainly willing to sit through his movie. I was just watching it last week, I think. I have the DVD and the blu-ray. When you are on the main menu of the DVD keep clicking on special features. Al will appear and explain that you have to flip the DVD over for the bonus features. Each time you do it he gets more and more annoyed with you!

Vidiot and MikeInFla like this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Wow, that's kind of weird that they were interviewing kids since the movie was rated R! :)

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Good point! I wonder how we got in? I don't think they were very strict back then, unless we were trying to get into "Wild Orchid" or something (which we certainly tried to do!).

I think I have the clip on a VHS tape somewhere. I remember my friend proclaimed it was, "better than Dick Tracy!"

20. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Wheel of Fish!

21. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Shut up you little weasel!!

Hey RJ!! (Office comes to a dead stop)

I thought I told those boys to never call chicks "broads."

Spatula City, we sell spatulas, and that's all!

These lines make me laugh like I'm ten years old every time I watch this.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    The Hud likes this.
  22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Al's commentary track on the DVD is outstanding- one of the best I've ever heard. It's very informative and he obviously took down a lot of good notes for it.

Leviethan likes this.
  23. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Without UHF there would be no Kramer in Seinfeld... "Who wants to drink from the firehose!?"

And my favorite scene in the movie:

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This movie gave us the delicacy that is the Twinkie Weiner Sandwich.

For those of you who don't know, you turn a Twinki upside down, split it open lengthwise, insert a cooked hot dog into it, and top it with EZ Cheese.

Now that's good eatin'!

jbmcb likes this.
  25. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I'm thinking of something orange.

Give up? It is a orange!

jbmcb and Leviethan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.