We lost Cozy Powell 20 years ago yesterday

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynxwizard, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

IMO, it would a mistake to equate your own circle of friends with representing much.

In 70's England, I am quite sure he was easily one of the most known drummers there was. Not many drummers had a hit single. His "Dance of the Devil" hit #3 on the U.K. Charts in '74.

2. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I would like to know out of curiosity. I don't too much much about Powell other than being a great drummer.

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Among hard rock and heavy metal aficionados, he’s very well known.

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Cozy played in the first iteration of Peter Green's 90s comeback band, Splinter Group. With Neil Murray on bass. Strange combination, but it worked pretty well.

longaway and Joti Cover like this.
  5. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Powell's name rings a bell with some people. He is not a complete unknown, as such. Working in a record shop I sometimes get asked about Cozy Powell, his solo projects, which album he featured on etc. from fans of hard rock, heavy metal and even boogie rock. Of course he is not universally known/revered in the vein that Ringo Starr, Phil Collins etc. are (people like Neil Peart, over here at least, are not that well known at all, sadly)... There is no denying he was a top rate drummer within the business. The Rainbow albums alone should attest that fact. Always had a nice swing to his groove. Gone too soon.

6. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

It’s never been officially confirmed, as such, but it’s pretty much common knowledge that he was very briefly considered as Bonham’s replacement - and of course he played with Robert Plant on his early solo records post Zeppelin...so there’s that.

7. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Saw him in Hershey Pennsylvania on the ELPowell tour. Sad Loss.

Joti Cover likes this.
  8. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Very true, everybody who had a rock fan in their household knew who Cozy Powell was in the 70's. He featured on many UK TV programmes, remember him being on Record Breakers for breaking some sort of record, don't know if it still stands but am sure the footage is still available on YouTube?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Joti Cover likes this.
  9. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

10. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Saw him once on the Brian May Back To The Light Tour. Brian wasn't in good form that night, Powell was great.

11. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Great session. I was always partial to this one under here. First you have Middleton's beautiful piano intro and then Jeff n Cozy just lays waste to everthing in sight:

12. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

And the reverse is true.
    I'm talking about now. Not 40 some years ago. Now - the present. The time we are living in now. I'm in the USA and if I asked all my 'normal' hard working american friends who Cozy Powell was they wouldn't know.
    Sorry to burst your bubble. That's not to downgrade Cozy but just stating a perception in my circles, cliques, and social coteries.

ian christopher likes this.
  13. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Have had the AF Jeff Beck Group (orange album) SACD for awhile, and have really enjoyed that. Recently picked up Iconoclassics cd reissue of Rough and Ready and although it isnt as strong as the orange album, I think Cozy’s drumming stands out, on Situation, Got the Feeling and New Ways/Train Train especially.

Shvartze Shabbos and Joti Cover like this.
  14. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I became aware of Cozy Powell's name via the Cinderella album 'Long Cold Winter' in the late 80's. It was a different name that stuck with me.

Weirwolfe and ian christopher like this.
  15. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

And now they're all gone. Crazy, huh? :cry:

slipkid and ian christopher like this.
  16. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

That's the guy who should've been called upon to carry Led Zep through the 80's.

17. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Not many kids I know who could name someone now who was an household name in 70's or 80's.

Weirwolfe and ian christopher like this.
  18. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Was that during the Black Sabbath - Headless Cross period?

Weirwolfe likes this.
  19. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Saw him with Rainnow and MSG and got him to sign a few album covers. He was'nt one of those artists who tried to sneak out the back door to avoid fans. I can name a few who where being an autograph collector back then.
    When I saw him with MSG there was a power failure & all the band left the stage, not Cozy, he stayed on stage and played a drum solo for the frustrated crowd that must have lasted half an hour until the thing was fixed!

Weirwolfe, patrickd and slipkid like this.
  20. I’m a ‘normal’, hard working American. I know who Cozy is. :tiphat:

Pouchkine, slipkid and Fields&Lanes like this.
  21. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Rising

Joti Cover likes this.
  22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

In the days when I still bought lps cold, I bought Over the Top. It hasn't worn as well with me over the years, but I still dig my Japanese cd out once or twice a year. I think there's too much keyboard.

23. Drew

Drew Senior Member

One of my benchmarks for a great musician is whether or not they could keep the audience entertained if there was a power failure in the concert hall.

24. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Like I said earlier - outside of this forum!

25. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I found it interesting that Cozy said this was his favorite song that he had played drums on. You would think it would be Light In The Black or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.