We Should Be Kind To Neglected Discs....Do you have...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

..a lot of discs that you very rarely if ever listen to? I would assume that most of the stuff in you're collection you obtained because you liked the music at the time. Sure you might have received gifts and promos that you may not really like but on an average you have the stuff because you liked it.

I find that I tend to play titles over and over again and it's usually recent or newly acquired material. Sure I have my old favourites that I regularly dig out but sometimes I force myself to pull out something that I haven't listened to in a long time and I'm surprise at how good it is and how much I like it. I wonder why these discs sit there gathering dust? Do many of you find the same thing?

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a "Be kind to a neglected disc session" on a daily or weekly basis. :)

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

If I did any of what you suggest, Khorn, I wouldn't have a moment of peace.

Truth is, a lot of music doesn't get played much because it's been so ingrained in the membrane. Very rare that the Beatles or most Invasion acts get pulled for playing much these days, because I've played them to death already. Same with Elvis: except to remind myself of how good his music can sound(24K HITS!), not much need to resurrect, say, the soundtrack CD's:rolleyes: , not least for my mental health(no room to rhumba in a sports car, indeed....)

But at least the CD's and DVD's get some play. The vinyl, except when I have to pull something for reference, or it's a mix not available elsewhere, pretty much just sits. That's why, while we tend to call it a 'collection' the term 'library' would be closer to the truth, since it's all there if one is suddenly in need.

I would say there are probably several hundred discs that are basically of 'rotation' variety--those that, for whatever unknown reasons, continue to come out and get played on occasion, and therefore kept in a few of those 'CD towers' for convenience. For me, this means about a hundred key jazz titles, some new age, classical, and sundry goodies that come up in conversation on forums. Hell, that may be the key: if somebody mentions an obscure album, or has a question about it, next thing I know, it's either in the player or on the TT. Kinda Pavlovian, but good for the sake of variety.

Most of my 'neglected' discs are probably from the '80s. Someday, maybe I'll go back and feel nostalgic, but that period is still too close, and I remember most of what mattered to me anyway to the point where listening to it wouldn't mean much. Maybe down the road...

I think you've got a great idea here, however; ask everyone to pick a CD(or slab of vinyl)they once played the heck out of but no longer do.

ED :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.