WEA "The Essentials" series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nashreed, Jul 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nashreed

nashreed New Member Thread Starter

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY did I do it??? Why did I buy another one of the new WEA "The Essentials" series CD's? Perhaps it was the fetching picture of a young Bananarama that made me buy their "Essentials" disc. Well, I literally could have made my own 24-**** (oops) bit remaster. I compared "The Essentials" with an original CD of theirs ("True Confessions"), and all it sounds like they did is take the hits from the original CD with the volume ALL the way up, with the bass completely off and the treble all the way up. There is no other difference- literally. The "True Confessions" disc is a reasonably quiet mid 80's disc- nice separation, okay bass, sounds good pretty loud, but will sound harsh if turned up way, way loud. The new "Essentials" is all loud, no bass, shrill, harsh and my ears still hurt from it. This one was remastered by Bill Inglot, too. What is the point of these?

There was a mention about a guy with a Radio Shack system thinking that "Wingspan" sounded too harsh- and I try these "Essentials" on different systems; the crappy shelf system, the boombox and the solid listening stereo. I can hear the same problems on all of them. So, if they sound bad on everything that I play them on, and they don't sound good on other members systems, what WILL they sound good on- technology that hasn't been invented yet? Where is the benefit?? Sorry, to beat a dead horse, but I seriously am getting turned off on buying music and listening to it by these wonderful modern remasters. I think I'll buy an 8-track player. 8-tracks are cheap. I can get 8-tracks used, cheap.
    Good.

James

2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

The above is an example of the value to us all of the upcoming 'Members Disc Rating System Forum'. With the system we will have access to an ever growing data base of instantly accessible reviews so we may be able to avoid mistakes in purchasing like the nashreed has just made as well as finding out what good choices are available.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

We sure will save each other's hearing and bank accounts:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.