Weakest Link: The Beatles 1967 songs (Round 1)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

You may be thinking, "The Beatles recorded over 25 songs in 1967, so how could I fit them all into the poll?". To make this work, I have decided to remove four songs from the first two rounds which I'm pretty confident won't be knocked out very early on (Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields Forever, A Day in the Life and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds), and I'll add them in round 3.

DQ: When was the first time you listened to Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour?

2. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Flying and Blue Jay Way. The Magical Mystery Tour soundtrack gave us three subpar Beatle tracks. Those and Your Mother Should Know. Mother will go next, I just did them in the order they appear. The US album was salvaged by all the great singles. Mostly a great year. My other choices will get painful quickly (okay, All Together Now is easy).

Rickchick likes this.
  3. Your Mother Should Know and All Together Now (When I'm 64 would have been my next pick, I think).

Flying's one of my favorite Beatles songs from the period of Sgt. Pepper-on.

pexie likes this.
  4. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

All Together Now and Flying.

First heard Magical Mystery Tour in 1973. Bought it at a class auction (catholic school) for $2. It was the US mono pressing, which I didn't care about at the time as I wanted SFF and Penny Lane on an LP. Sgt. Pepper was also offered as part of the auction, but was too rich for my blood then, selling for $3 :). I think my 4th grade teacher played it in class on one of those classic all in one record players. Oh the simple days.

5. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Heard/bought Pepper summer of 67. Still have that copy
    MMT is not so memorable. Sometime in 68. Still have that copy too.

6. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Your Mother Should Know is an easy choice.
    An attempt at another "When I'm 64", but unfinished with lazy and repetitive lyrics and music.

I like everything else, but I voted for "You Know My Name". It is somewhat clever and funny, but less so on repeated listens. Plus it is not really much of a song.

7. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Hello Goodbye is drivel.

8. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

You Lnow My Name-Never liked this at all.
    All Together Now-Not a bad tune but a minor song in the Beatles’ history.

Veech likes this.
  9. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

With A Little Help, Fixing A Hole.

If I'm honest, most of these songs are gibberish.

10. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

You Know My Name. She's Leaving Home

Listen to Pepper plenty since it came out again last year. Haven't listened to MMT for ages. I don't like it in the album format

11. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

All Together Now, Flying

I listened to those albums for the first time during my freshman year of high school.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  12. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

With A Little Help From My Friends -- never cares for that one. And You Know My Name, even though I kind of like it, it is just a one off larf.

13. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

There are four or so choices that present themselves. In order to come to a conclusion, I went with the two I figure I've listened to least: "Only A Northern Song" and "All Together Now".

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  14. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

I picked those same songs.

Probably first heard these albums when I was 4.

15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Good thinkin' 99
    I voted the last two on the list.

First heard both albums when the wooden box came out. I knew a lot of the stuff but only had the double red vinyl

16. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

I was actually thinking, "The Beatles released 24 songs in 1967, so why bother make this a poll about when they were recorded?"

17. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

Because the three Yellow Submarine songs and You Know My Name were primarily recorded in 1967 and they fit in better with the rest of the 1967 songs. But yeah the wording could have been a bit better.

18. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

"Flying" is just a simple blues-based instrumental that anybody could have made up on the spot, and "Baby You're a Rich Man" is just substandard.

19. Bailemor99

Bailemor99 Forum Resident

"Flying" is fun but it's nothing special. I genuinely love "You Know My Name."

20. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Flying Together

DQ: Day Of Release, natch.

21. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Ooh a fun twist on the Weakest Link game! I can totally get behind voting on this and doing so for other years of the Beatles.

My two choices: Within You Without You and All Together Now

DQ: Heard both of them in August of 2011 when I was going through the whole Beatles UK albums + MMT & PMV1&2 in two days.

22. I don't know - I actually think this is one of the more valid weakest link ideas anyone's come up with. The late '67 Beatles in particular were hardly flawless - in fact, these first few rounds are like shooting fish in a barrel.

"Only a Northern Song" & "All Together Now" for starters...

SoundDoctor and Shaddam IV like this.
  23. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

I may be in the minority, but I LOVE "Flying"!

24. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

All roads are leading to “A Day In The Life”, “Penny Lane”, and “Strawberry Fields Forever”.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  25. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

All Together...Too Much.
    DQ...In real time. I was a VERY precocious 11 year old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.