Ween, anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree-bot, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member Thread Starter

I have all of their albums. Not all are great, but they also have some very cool material in those so-so albums.

They were a great live band as well. The dvd “Live in Chicago” with a full band is brilliant. As is the “At The Cats Cradle, 1992” from when they were just two stoners with some backing tracks.

I’d love to hear about anyone’s live experiences or opinions on them.

Speak to me!

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I remember Ween in It's Pat. I thought they were cool.

Bananas&blow, BryanW and Tree-bot like this.
  3. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Live in Chicago is one of their shining moments for sure.

Love 12 Golden Country Greats!

Tree-bot likes this.
  4. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Saw them around the time of God Ween Satan at SXSW in a club not much larger than a closet. I was suitably baked.

5. Tree-bot

Baked! At least you remember it.

I saw them at a festival here in the early-mid 90s, and then again in 2007. I can't remember much about the festival gig but can remember that they were excellent in the club gig in 2007 that I saw.

Scope J likes this.
  6. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I saw them in Bend in like 2006. Incredible show, incredible live band. They played for like 3.5 hours. Claude Coleman is a monster drummer. The Mollusk is one of the greatest albums of all time.

7. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I really wish somebody would properly reissue their 1996-2000 albums on vinyl. That Plain boxset was garbage, but I still have the Boognish sticker on my refrigerator.

Spinmeout and bootbox like this.
  8. Tree-bot

I totally agree with your opinion of Claude. A funny character as well. Seems to fit the bill perfectly.

9. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Have you heard his lead vocal song??

10. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

No, thank you though.

11. Tree-bot

I wish that Live in Toronto was released on cd. Came out on vinyl only. I also wish that the Live at Stubbs cd was re-released. It was only a limited edition release for some reason.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Fullbug likes this.
  12. Tree-bot

Which track was that?

13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I saw them twice between 1999 and 2001 and I don't remember a thing except for some moshing at the '99 show and walking to the venue for the 2001 show.

Revolver and Fullbug like this.
  14. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

The title would probably violate forum rules! It was on a web only release called Craters of the Sac.

Fullbug likes this.
  15. Tree-bot

Oh yeah, I forgot about Craters. I have a download of it. Haven't played it for ages and forgot it even existed. OQC.

16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Errrr.... I actually think the Ween box set was one of the best things Plain ever did. Zero complaints. My originals of "The Mollusk" and "White Pepper" were nothing to write home about and I'm still glad I sold them when prices were skyhigh and replaced them - later - with this box set.

But I think Ween reached their pinnacle with "Chocolate & Cheese" anyway, seeing them develop from a lofi act to a full blown band over the course of their great first albums was fascinating. After 1995 I started to lose interest. I like "The Mollusk" and "White Pepper" but what I loved about "God Ween Satan" or "Pure Guava" was increasingly missing from the "new" Ween...

EDIT: Just did some research and it seems the Plain box set isn't that bad:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/long-live-the-boognish-ween-lp-box-set.196902/

...and I'm not a fan of that label...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    heartless, mr.datsun and eyeCalypso like this.
  17. MetallicSquink

MetallicSquink Forum Resident

Live in Toronto was released on CD. It sold out very quickly and I suspect the pressing was limited to no more than a few thousand copies. But it's out there.

Jerquee likes this.
  18. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

YES!!!

I love their albums but they were ffffffffffffriggin amazing live.

Scope J, Revolver and Fullbug like this.
  19. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Like all Plain releases I once owned (a dozen or so) The Ween releases all had unacceptable levels of noise throughout and sounded like they were sourced from CD or worse. Really pinched and shrill sounding. If that's the "best" Plain did, well then I don't know what to tell you. They have absolutely no business being in this game. I've heard that the original Mushroom releases sounded bad too. I feel the opposite about Ween. I enjoy the Pod and Pure Guava, but I don't reach for those albums anymore. I prefer their Elektra albums from Chocolate & Cheese to White Pepper.

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Great band, nothing else like 'em. I caught them on their last tour and you could kind of tell that Gene was having some problems. The performance wasn't nearly as energetic as what we saw on the Live in Chicago DVD, which is an excellent collection. I also like a lot of Paint the Town Brown, though I could probably live without the half hour "Poop Ship Destroyer".

Has anyone caught Gene on tour lately? He's going to be coming to a local bar pretty soon and I was curious to know what is act is like these days.

21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's interesting because I don't have any surface noise on Plain's Ween records. But... yeah... Plain are definitely not a role model for a great reissue label. Normally I tend to avoid their stuff but Ween, Mazzy Star and Spiritualized's "Ladies And Gentlemen" are the Plain releases I kept. Ups... and I forgot Low's "The Curtain Hits The Cast". But I don't think I played that once... it was a present.

Your post just made me think that Ween might be one of those bands were it matters when you heard them first. I heard them first in 1991, a friend gave me "God Ween Satan" and new albums from half-forgotten acts like Feedtime and Happy Flowers. It all fitted perfectly. Now... a friend - big Zappa fan by the way - heard them first around 1997 and as much as he adores the newer stuff - he can't get into their first records.

22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Ween... sure.
    If fact, Dean appears in the new Residents doc, "Theory Of Obscurity"!

Scope J likes this.
  23. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

I love Ween. Great songwriters and a fantastic live band.

I miss that band!

24. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I think you're probably right. I think it's also a function of age. I used to love Ween and Beck's early wigged out, stoney 4-track excursions, but now I would rather listen to the more polished stuff.

Neonbeam likes this.
  25. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Ween is great. Been a big fan for a long time.

youngchoulin, Scope J and spindly like this.