Ween, anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree-bot, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

that's the great thing about beck and ween. they have such diversity!

did you ever hear beck's opus "brandon nevins" from 2008? quite the throwback to his earlier years.

2. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

"I played with the Ween!"
    [​IMG]

Juan Matus and Holy Diver like this.
  3. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

4. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

5. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

This one always gets me - a fan made video the band approved of and used!!!

youngchoulin, Juan Matus and Mr. H like this.
  6. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member Thread Starter

I never knew that. I only have it on vinyl. I'll keep a look out for the cd. Cheers.

7. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

They're back! Just announced reunion dates in February in Colorado. Boognish is rising!

jumpinjulian, Mr. H, vince and 3 others like this.
  8. edbert

edbert Forum Resident

Good news, but weird that they'd have it in CO in the middle of winter. Maybe they have a wealthy fan out there who guaranteed a payout they couldn't refuse?

9. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

No, I'll pass.

10. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow!! I hope they can return to form. Their last two studio albums had some good tracks, but way off the heights of the previous album "Quebec". They have only released the news of live shows, no album as yet. They are fantastic live. Either way, bring it on!

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I love Quebec but I'm not that crazy about any of their other albums in total. To me, they're a band with some good to great songs on various albums but, overall, I don't find their discography to be something that is necessary (though I do own most of their albums).

12. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

My opinion is that they were awesome. Better than awesome. One of my favorites.

[​IMG]

13. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

I'm a big fan from Chocolate and Cheese on, but even the earlier stuff has plenty to recommend it. Easily one of the most prolific bands of their time. I got into them late, but was fortunate to catch them live in 2007. Definitely worth seeing.
    I suspect these Colorado shows are a test to see if they can still work together. If things go well maybe we'll see more dates, at the least. The split was sudden and acrimonious. Mickey wrote at the time he was clueless until Aaron posted online that they were done. Of course, Aaron had a lot of issues at the time.
    I truly hope for more shows, and would be very thrilled to have another studio album, but I really just want these guys to be friends and for Aaron to stay clean and sober (which is probably going to be the key to any prolonged reunion).

eyeCalypso likes this.
  14. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I can't believe they're getting back together! I was certain that was the end when Aaron called it quits. Wow! Love this band. Saw them on the Chocolate & Cheese tour in '94. Incredible!

15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Ocean Man should have been
    a #1 in every country in the world !

16. Bemsha

Bemsha Forum Resident

Is it true? Really good news. Dean and Gene Ween belong together. I love that band and was very sad when Gene left. Aaron Freeman made a good solo album, but something was missing.

17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Let's hope Mr. Freeman stays nice & clean!

Mr. H likes this.
  18. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Fantastic news!

19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

This is great news, one of my all time favorite bands and I have seen them several times, including a 2000 show at the Warfield in SF featuring Band on the Run and Gener smashing his acoustic guitar at the end of Buenos Tardes Amigo, and a great show in Paris in 2007 that ended with an epic Fluffy. I am looking into booking a trip to these Chicago shows. I do hope that Aaron is able to keep his issues under control. The Dean Ween Group show I caught last month was excellent, so 3/5 of the band were in terrific shape there...

Freebird and Mr. H like this.
  20. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Demand for tickets seems to be high. Let's hope that this reunion is permanent and Aaron can be both Gene Ween and sober. That's what everything hinges on.

21. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Chocolate And Cheese is the only album I own and love, familiar with The Mollusk and 12 Golden Great, those were amazing too.
    Just thinking about them the other day actually and started to do some read up on their history. Might have to delve in deeper...

jumpinjulian likes this.
  22. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Been a big fan since first picking up Chocolate & Cheese. The early stuff has some good moments but the "lets get high on Scotchguard and write songs" and low fi production is kinda hard to sit through. The songs are there, though. The albums from Chocolate & Cheese to White Pepper are an amazing run. I still love the country album. They lost me quite a bit with Quebec and albums that followed, but I still love this band. Glad they are getting back together.

23. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member

Not Ween, but digging these Billy Joel covers by Aaron Freeman...

CowboyBob and jumpinjulian like this.
  24. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member

25. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member