Ween, anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree-bot, Aug 21, 2015.

1. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

If Gene's lifestyle is anything like Jerry's was.... well, that's not good.

2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob and vince like this.
  3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Awesome news. Trying to get my tickets at "Usual Places." One of the worst venues in the Bay Area, but I'll take what I can get as far as live Ween goes. A more creative announcement for these shows can be found here:

jumpinjulian likes this.
  4. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Saw the reunited Ween at TURF in Toronto the other night and GOOD LORD these guys are smokin' right now. As brown as they've ever been, and one of the best shows I've seen all year! Do not pass up the chance to see these guys this go 'round!

5. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

I saw them in Philly last month. They were fantastic, performance-wise. Very strong. Most obnoxious crowd ever, though, enough that I'd think twice before going to see them again. I saw them in 2000, and don't remember that era Ween crowd taking a gleeful pride in being as obnoxious as possible. It sounds like an old man thing to say, but I was literally listening to Ween when a lot of their newer fans were in pre-K. Some of the newer fans seem think it's "brown" to be offensive, but it's mostly just stupid. Stupid ain't "brown."

But the music? Awesome.

Fullbug and jumpinjulian like this.
  6. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

So it was my friend who was responsible for the Ween break up. He asked Aaron the wrong question at the wrong time and set off a chain of events.
    From a Newsweek interview with Aaron:

It seems like you’ve both moved on.

Yeah, absolutely. And that’s what I intended when I left Ween. It’s kind of a funny story. When I left in Rolling Stone, it wasn’t my intention to make everybody surprised and come at it like that. I actually had this Australian interviewer who said, “So you’re taking the Gene Ween mask off to do Marvelous Clouds?” And something hit me. I was like, “F**k that. I’m never putting the Gene Ween mask on. I’m leaving!” And I’m thinking, Oh s**t, I gotta talk to Mickey about this. We gotta formalize this. I know he knows that the end is coming. I know the end is coming. So hey, I have at least two weeks to talk about this. It’s got to get from Australia to America, which is first off going to take at least two weeks to cross the Pacific Ocean.

I’m sitting there thinking it’s going to be on a boat, and suddenly it’s 24 hours later, I get a call, it’s all over the Internet, it’s on CNN. I’m like, F**k! And that was that. I didn’t really get a chance to explain. It was a total Homer Simpson thing. I seriously thought it was going to be on a boat from Australia to get here. So that was kind of weird for me. I haven’t regretted a single day. No matter what anybody says or does, I think it was the best decision. The only thing I would apologize for is taking the Ween fans off guard. That was a little intense. Personally, I don’t like surprises either.

Anyway I'm now about to head to the USA with 3 friends for Desert Trip and we are seeing Ween in Hollywood the night before. I'm so excited! Do you guys think I can forgive my friend now though?

Crispy Rob and fourfeathers like this.
  7. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

"You guys are nothing without me!!!" LOL. Classic. Love it's Pat. I mean... it's got Charles Rocket, what's not to love?!

Holy Diver, Crispy Rob and Fullbug like this.
  8. fourfeathers

You are a lucky man! I am doing Desert Trip W1 and it's KILLIN' me that Ween is there just a few days later. Wish I coulda planned for W2 and got a little Ween in there!

jumpinjulian likes this.
  9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I just couldn't bring myself to pay for a festival slot...but I guess I should have. I caught them last time through town...

10. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Well, Charles Rocket is the Kenny Jones of SNL, after all.

Baba Oh Really and Fullbug like this.
  12. fourfeathers

Completely understand your reservations, but they got a full two hours and the setting was absolutely perfect -- muddy grounds, a full moon and a **** TON of die-hard Ween fans. Made for a hell of an atmosphere!

13. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I was so upset that we got weekend 2 tickets because we could've done Desert Trip weekend one and then two nights of Ween in San Fran. But then Boognish shined upon us and the Hollywood show was announced!
    We also got an upgrade to front standing pit at Desert Trip. I honestly can't believe our luck.
    I'm seeing 5 of my all time favourite artists over three days!
    Well worth the trip from Australia and all the cost.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  14. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

It's been eight years since they hit Europe. Eight long years.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  15. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Just picked up tickets to see Gene Ween on Halloween!

Scope J, Crispy Rob and jumpinjulian like this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I happened to have already booked a trip to Europe before that tour happened, so wound up being able to catch the Paris and Amsterdam shows. Fluffy in Paris was epic.

17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

SF shows were incredible. Similar to my post above, Fluffy at Bill Graham Civic was epic.

New release news: God Ween Satan live, the band playing the whole album at a 2001 re-release party, mixed from 24-track, available now through their website on vinyl (with MP3 download) and CD. Think I'm gonna go the CD route for this one, but I'm in.

CowboyBob, fourfeathers and skyjelly like this.
  18. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

A new studio album would probably be too much to ask for...yet. Any new Ween, even old live Ween newly released, is all right with me, though.

youngchoulin and Crispy Rob like this.
  19. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

This from my favourite Ween album. Brilliant song.

CowboyBob likes this.
  20. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Glad to see this is finally coming out. It is one of the few shows on the "do not trade" list. Not the greatest live show by any means, but pretty brown.

21. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

Dean Ween solo, anyone?

Needs Gean!
    All the instumentals, I hear Geaner singing and miss the camaraderie! Glad they are both making music and touring together again.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  22. gpg6212

gpg6212 Well-Known Member

Love 'em! Many, many great songs. Unfortunately, they never made a perfect album IMO. Even the classics have a bit of filler.

23. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Damn....paunchy guy these days. He might have to become one of those exercise douchebags he's lampooning in the song. :shh: :laugh:

CowboyBob likes this.
  24. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Saw Deaner about a week ago. Last show of the Dean Ween Group Tour.

F'n awesome show. Even before they covered Simply Red.

Scope J likes this.
  25. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...we need new WEEN!