Ween, anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree-bot, Aug 21, 2015.

1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Apparently Shinola 2 is coming early next year. Not all new, but that'll do until they decide they want to summon Boognish again and rock out.

2. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...that'll definitely do for now. Great news!

Edit: looked online for news on this, but came up with nothing. Any links??

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  3. PretzelLogic

I'm flailing a bit here (hence the 'apparently') but on their Wikipedia entry it has the following:

"A sequel to the first outtakes collection, Shinola vol. 1, was confirmed to be in the works by Dean Ween on Facebook in January 2016."

And a link to a screenshot from Facebook here:
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet »

Obviously that could be fake, but I'm hoping it's not.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  4. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

That's interesting because earlier, Deaner said the first one was such a pain, they'd not do a second one.

5. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

Godweensatan live released a few days ago....I've only listened to a little bit of it so far, but it sounds awesome!

6. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...was just listening to The Mollusk driving home in the rain. A moment of perfection on the journey of life. :cool::thumbsup:

7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

White Pepper on vinyl from the 1996-2000 box set last night at the request of a couple of friends who were over for beer/hoops watching, sounded great. Those guys are younger and had no idea Stroker Ace was a Burt Reynolds movie...

8. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Spinning the GodWeenSatan live album right now. Sounds fantastic (much better than the "uncirculated" audience boot I have) and the band is on fire. 3 days after 9/11 and these guys just didn't back down.

dthomas850 likes this.
  9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I take it this is the vinyl? So the verdict is a worthy acquisition?

10. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I only have the cd set.

11. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

I have always liked Ween, for the album "Chocolate & Cheese" but never really followed them until now. I picked up C&C in 1995 when it came out, probably incited by the cover art in addition to "I cant' put my finger on it" which I really liked.
    Listening to that album at the time, I found them confusing: they covered too many styles.
    I was a little too young to have an appreciation for the different styles that they covered; I liked hard rock and also Parody songs.
    Now, invigorated by this thread, I have been listening to Gene doing Billy Joel, Ween doing Prince 1999 and Purple Rain, and looking forward to getting the Chicago DVD.

So, thanks for thread, you inspired me to go pickup some of more of their albums, GODWEENSATAN.

lucan_g, jumpinjulian and Tree-bot like this.
  12. PretzelLogic

Look out for YouTube videos covering Ace Of Spades, Let Me Roll It and Let's Dance as well - excellent live covers.

They've done a couple of studio covers too - Champagne Jam (Atlanta Rhythm Section), Fool To Cry (Stones) and a couple more that've slipped my mind. Oh - Hot For Teacher on Live At Stubb's.

Fullbug and Tree-bot like this.
  13. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

The Deaner Album f*****g rocks!

14. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Wow!! Thanks for the heads up. I heard zero about this being released...listening now with a sinister grin on my face. This is classic Deaner all the way. I'm lovin' this!! :agree:

jumpinjulian likes this.
  15. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member Thread Starter

I wasn't aware of it. Thanks for posting. Listening to some individual tracks on Youtube right now.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  16. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Yup, I've heard enough. ORDERED :thumbsup:

jumpinjulian and Crispy Rob like this.
  17. Tree-bot

Ordered!!

jumpinjulian likes this.
  18. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

19. Tree-bot

20. jumpinjulian

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  21. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I distinctly recall an old interview with Ween (mid 90's?) where they state how they had at least 10 unreleased albums from their 4-track days. I swear one of them was titled "Gay and Proud". Maybe it was a joke, but for years I was anticipating something coming out. Then they did Shinola, but it was nothing like I expected.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Fullbug and jumpinjulian like this.
  22. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

jumpinjulian and Tree-bot like this.
  23. jumpinjulian

Listening to the 96-2000 box tonight. Goddamn these guys were on a roll. Their output from 91-2003 is absolutely staggering in its breadth and brilliance. Very similar to The Beatles, Stones or Dylan in their prime.

I saw them in Hollywood last October when I was in the USA for Desert Trip (I'm from Australia), and have just booked a return trip to see them in Oregon, Washington and Red Rocks (a bucket list venue for me).

So excited! Possibly the greatest live band on the planet.

Fullbug, Tree-bot, Bemsha and 5 others like this.
  24. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

cadeallaw endorses this thread

25. PretzelLogic

I appreciate it's not financially viable, and Gener probably couldn't risk relapsing again on a long stretch away from home, but any sort of Ween show in Europe would make my decade.

jumpinjulian likes this.