Ween, anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree-bot, Aug 21, 2015.

1. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

That's why I'm travelling. Who knows if they'll ever play outside the USA ever again.

2. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

God Ween Satan is the only one I own. It's terrific. Often alter it with my Happy Flowers records.

3. jumpinjulian

Go and find a copy of 'Chocolate and Cheese' right now!

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Saw Ween in Port Chester, NY recently and they were amazing. The Deaner is a true monster guitarist.

Fullbug, munjeet, oneway23 and 5 others like this.
  5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I liked Ween but Geners personna and stage presence really wears on me. Live they are great and e everyone should make a point to obtain some of their live releases. From C+c to White Pepper they were phenomenal.

Yeah Deaner is a monster guitarist. You can tell he loves his Zappa.

6. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    My first Ween show... pre-band

7. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Really looking forward to seeing these guys live again this summer. I don't know when, and I don't know where, but by golly, I'm going to make it happen.

jumpinjulian and Naughty Chord like this.
  8. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I totally forgot that I met Ween in 2008, until I was reminded last weekend. It wasn't more than a smiley handshake with Deaner and Claude, I think, but it was odd to have seen them tear the roof off an indoor festival for over two hours, then go see Redd Kross, and turn round to see the whole band stood behind me watching them too.

9. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...back on a WEEN binge. Hoping for new music sooner than later.
    Have always loved this track. Probably my favorite Quebec outtake/leftover from the Caesar Demos.

10. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

So, yeah......this is pretty awesome. Lovin' the live sessions.

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  11. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

I love the song called captain on the Quebec album. Zoloft, chocolate town and transdermal celebration are also favorites.

12. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

I highly recommend looking for the 'Rotten Cheese' collection on the intersnet- 6 disks worth of various soundboard material from 94-95 tours

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and Crispy Rob like this.
  13. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

They are playing here in July. Got my ticket!

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and Crispy Rob like this.
  14. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...nice! Thank you. Why have you been holding out soooo long?? Haha. J/k

cadeallaw likes this.
  15. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

I got my ticket for this summer.. will be my first time seeing Ween since 2010 which is my longest stretch since I started seeing them in 1996.. I think they are a dead band at this point but doesn't meant the live show won't be fun..

16. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...dead band!!!! Blasphemy! Just wait until they drop the brownest sh!t you've ever heard... just wait. :cool::thumbsup:

17. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Saw 'em in Baltimore on Sunday night. Great show. Set list was heavy on later (Chocolate & Cheese + after) material, Gener was in very fine voice, and the band cooked. Deaner was on fire!
    They did Bowie's "Let's Dance" for the first time in years, and it was pretty amazing. The whole show was really strong.

I'd love to hear that they're working on new material, or that they've played any new song at one of these shows, but I'm starting to give up on that hope. The collaborative thing is sometimes delicate... Maybe once lost it's tricky to regain.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  18. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

If you love GWS, you should at least grab The Pod and Pure Guava. Both are just Gene and Dean (with a bit of Mean Ween) making some of the greatest music a 4-track has ever recorded.

19. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Thanks man. Been meaning to snag those forever. You just pushed me over the edge. Got them ordered.

20. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

The Pod... Took me a lot of drinking to dig it. :cheers:

21. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Listening to their most recent show (won't link but it's very easy to find an excellent audience recording), and it's really excellent. 32 songs, including two that they haven't played for a decade (23 years since 'There's A Pig' got a live outing!), really deep cuts, unreleased old songs, and a new cover. They sound really into it, and the setlist suggests they're still finding joy in the old catalogue.

Setlist:
    Fiesta, Nan, Transdermal Celebration, Boy's Club, Gabrielle, Up on the Hill, I'm in the Mood to Move, Learnin' to Love, Ice Castles> The Golden Eel, Cover It With Gas and Set It on Fire, Back to Basom, Awesome Sound, I'll Miss You, Mutilated Lips, Doctor Rock, Put the Coke on My Dick, The Enabler, Springtheme, Monique the Freak, Fluffy, The HIV Song, Mister Richard Smoker, Sweet Texas Fire, The Stallion pt 1, Spinal Meningitis (Got Me Down)

Encore:
    Homo Rainbow, There's a Pig, Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down, I'm Holding You, Sorry Charlie, You Were the Fool

22. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Never really got into them, but I recently heard "Mercedes Benz" by the Deen Ween Group and thought it was pretty boss. I might have to dive into that album on Spotify.

23. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

Seeing them in Bend, OR in about two weeks! Cant wait

Fullbug likes this.
  24. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

We saw Ween on TV once, Dean Ween played in a one piece girls swim suit. Funny stuff. They were pretty good, good enough to check out by buying an album.

I found Chocolate and Cheese, which we played three or four times and then filed away.

I dunno. Maybe I should like them more.

25. jumpinjulian

How good was that Bend show! Perfect evening and setting and we got The Mollusk in full!
    I just finished the 3 night Colorado run. Red Rocks was out of this world.
    So glad I made the trip from Australia to see them!

bherbert and Crispy Rob like this.