Weezer - best album - Blue or Pinkerton?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by garrincha, May 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

There seem to be too many words/syllables shoehorned in to fit the music where a pause would fit better. It doesn't flow well to me. And the music and vocals while keeping in the Weezer tradition lack the energy of their better songs. It's toned down in those respects but to not great effect.

Both those things were certainly purposeful, but just makes the song my least favourite of their best albums.

Still better to be worst of the best than best of the worst.

SecondHandNews likes this.
  2. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

I'm also coming out of the Raditude liking closet. It can be hard to get past the lyrics - which really do seem to have been written by an over excitable teenage boy (but were in fact written by a married 40 year old man with a kid :oops:). But some of the tunes Rivers cam up with for that album are killer. I still think the verse progression un Tripping Down The Freeway is amazing.

To answer the question - I thought Blue was perfect when I first bought it, and I still do.

People call Weezer goofy, or naff, or worse, but I don't care. They will always be a special band for me. They were the first rock band I ever saw live (opening for Guns N Roses in London in 2002). And 'Only In Dreams' is the first song I ever learned to play on the bass.

Pop_Zeus and NearysEpiphany like this.
  3. SecondHandNews

SecondHandNews Forum Resident

"Still better to be worst of the best than best of the worst."

Never heard that before. Pretty cool!

4. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

When I heard the blue album I didn't think it could be topped. Then I heard Pinkerton and was blown away. It's maybe not as consistent but the high points beat the blue album's IMO.

5. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

The one that has Only in Dreams.

6. Even with several of its tracks only available in demo form, I can't deny the potential of Songs From The Black Hole...

7. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

They're both really good. Slight edge to Blue. I got to be in the mood to listen to Pinkerton. Blue just puts me in a good mood.

RnRmf likes this.
  8. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Pinkerton for me. Love the blue album, My Name Is Jonas is one of my favorite album openers. I just think that the song writing is a little better on Pinkerton, or rather, it resonates more deeply with me. Pink Trinagle is one of their best songs imo.

I really do love those first two albums by them, and after that its very inconsistent to me, and never truly as great as the first two efforts.

Ryan_Pretzel and quakerparrot67 like this.
  9. Strangely enough, the blue album was one of the first cds I ever bought, maybe in 1996 or so. I was 10 at the time and put it in my discman and disliked it, except for the hits. I didn't listen to it for another decade or so and then the greatness hit me! I've loved it ever since. My story about Pinkerton is strange too... I had a buddy in college that told me about it in 2005 and I fell in love with it then, but truly never even knew about it until then! Somehow the green album and maladroit stayed on my radar but I legitimately had no idea Pinkerton existed. Small town and before the days of the internet, that's what I'll chalk it up to.

RnRmf likes this.
  10. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Weezer (Green) for me!

11. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Blue is cleary their best.

I prefer Maladroit and the Green album to Pinkerton.

12. Daltronica

Daltronica Well-Known Member

Genuinely want an answer here. Who is buying Weezer albums? Is it like the Simpsons, where Rivers realised he can churn out garbage to a really solid fanbase while their original fans scratch their heads and wonder if someone will just pull the plug.

13. I've not purchased an album since Maladroit. (Not counting the MOFI reissues). Although "do you wanna get high?" is a good song, from the "white" album I think.

14. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I really don't think they go out of their way to release stuff on "cruise control," so to speak

I think Rivers likes to try new things that don't always work, whether it be stylistically, lyrically, or whatever.

15. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

Blue album for me, I think Pinkerton is terribly overrated.

16. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Does anyone else get a kind of Pixies vibe from Tired of Sex?

17. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

18. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I know this is a thread resurrection, but I love Weezer and these are my top two albums. I certainly didn't dare start a new thread when this one had never been closed :p:D

So anyway, I prefer Blue, but they are very different albums and I love Pinkerton too. I'll chime in more if anyone else is in the mood to carry this on

19. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Pinkerton
    Blue
    Everything will be alright in the end
    Maladroit
    Green
    White
    Make Believe
    Raditude
    Pacific Daydream
    Hurley
    Red

There's really ace stuff every album but red and hurley are the most inconsistent.

I made an awesome summer songs 2000 (SS2K) that would easily be top four (mad cow, sister song, superstar, burnt jamb instrumental, etc.). There album 5 demos were really great too

20. NearysEpiphany

NearysEpiphany Forum Resident

Blue is probably their best. But they have a lot of runner ups that are pretty much equally as good as one another:

Pinkerton
    Green
    Red
    Raditude (yep this one is awesome)
    Everything Will Be Alright In The End
    White

Then there's the bottom tier, still lots of good stuff on each:
    Maladriot
    Make Believe (Beverly Hills!)
    Hurley (Trainwrecks is great)

Haven't heard their newest, reminds me I need to head to amazon and pick it up

rancher likes this.
  21. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Red has Pork and Beans and Troublemaker though, both of which I really like, so I would not put it last by any means

22. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Of the two, I prefer Blue. But I like Green the best.

23. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Yep I am still Blue and Pinkerton at the top, but I put Green as #3. So basically I really like the early stuff :D Green has Photograph and then also Hash Pipe, obviously Island in the Sun

NearysEpiphany likes this.
  24. NearysEpiphany

NearysEpiphany Forum Resident

Agree with Hurley being near the bottom, but Red dead last? I don't agree but OK cool I guess.

Also, nice to see a fellow Alabamian right down the road from me. Cheers :)

25. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

The Vinyl Me Please reissue of Pinkerton from a couple years ago uses the MoFi plates and is still available in the member store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.